Author Topic: poles  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Letha_Face

• IceShanty Rookie
poles
« on: Dec 07, 2006, 11:45 AM »
Are any of those poles you get at dunhams any better than wal mart ones? I havent even looked at the brands they have yet just wondering if you need to order a good one from the net or what.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: poles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:09 PM »
HT rods are pretty good, St. Croix, Thorne Bro.'s. Not sure what they carry at Dunhams but they must have some pretty good graphite set ups. I don't necessarily look for name brands. I look for cork handles, eye spacing and alignment, straight blanks, then I'll pull down on the tip to see how even the bend is and what the power zone looks like near the handle. After checking out a few you will get a feel for what you want to look for. A good quality reel is really what will make or break your set up. I usually figure on spending $25.00 and up for something with at least 4 ball bearings in a spinning reel.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:12 AM »
you really need to make sure your pole is heavy enough for what you are fishing gor, but a good quality reel is just as important.
da splake chaser

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2007, 06:26 AM »
You also want to be sure the eyes are large enough to keep from freezing. I have a beautiful St Croix but the eyes are so small that I can only use it inside the shanty (heated) or if it's above freezing outside.
FTD

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:58 AM »
HT rods have always done a good job for me.
da splake chaser

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.