New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091786 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Who is saying that?  The NOAA monthly prediction map has March running at a 30% chance for being above normal temperatures on average.

The 8-14 day, taking us to March 5th, is also around a 30% chance for above average.

Basically, they give me hope for quick open water and sadness for their being safe ice.

I've should've said "Near or slightly below average" Starting Monday back into the 20's at night Anything that thaws will lock back up. Just have to make it through tomorrow

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
no trout at king of the ice

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
fishon723 congratulations to your friend and you on the crappie's. thank you for the report . Hardwater Diehard thanks for link to SCCC face book King of Ice 2018 photos.
Steve

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
we fished both Highland and The King. In the Highland event we caught 29 pickerel and roughly 20 perch. We placed 2nd for perch in that event. The King event was a rough one , no one around us was catching crap! we started off hot as in the first 15 mins we had 2 flags and 2 perch came up the hole but no size to them. Our next real flag and not wind related came at 2 pm and up came a 21 inch eye : ) , we placed 2 in the walleye which made a bad day turn good. Overall 2 events and 2 seconds !
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we fished both Highland and The King. In the Highland event we caught 29 pickerel and roughly 20 perch. We placed 2nd for perch in that event. The King event was a rough one , no one around us was catching crap! we started off hot as in the first 15 mins we had 2 flags and 2 perch came up the hole but no size to them. Our next real flag and not wind related came at 2 pm and up came a 21 inch eye : ) , we placed 2 in the walleye which made a bad day turn good. Overall 2 events and 2 seconds !

You did well FO! I think we fished close again. I was left from the launch and toward 17B, White lake but right in the straights where it opens to the lake. I went for the deep water and got there at 4 AM and on the ice right after 5 when I finally got through the registration line for my badge.  That was a very serious blow right around 8 AM when it first started and those winds ran right out of the north for a direct slam on me, my snowdog machine and my shanty. I had everything anchored down real good but even then it was tough on the clam fabric and the frame poles. I don't get any wind flags with my tip ups and only had three flags all morning and just one good fish on for a few minutes. I didn't even see many marks on the finder all morning long so I know I picked the wrong spot again on White Lake. I pulled out at noon after talking on the phone with buddies fishing on the Koneuonga side who were also getting skunked but not as badly hammered by the winds. They caught 3 dink perch and 2 small slime darts and stayed all day past the end. I tossed every trick in my box down but if you don't see any fish on the finder it becomes a wasted effort. White is a tough lake to do well in unless you go for the pan fish and move around a lot until you find them. I've never caught an eye there yet and only a couple lake trout but never through the ice. I fished it 3 times last week moving around a bit and I did see marks and have lookers but skunked all three times while targeting the big boys. I really did expect a nice fish early before the light but it was not to be when the one fish spit the hook half way up from 60 feet. Another guy I talked with got one decent eye about 15 inches that lived to fight again and he was fishing in 8 feet of water. I got home right around 1:30 and damn if the winds didn't die right down telling me I should have stuck it out. I have fished the KOI a half dozen times now and never had a fish worth registering but have got a few real slammers out of there over the years. Where I fished on Sunday was the same spot I fished on Friday and had lots of action and good marks but that spot was the dead sea for the contest.

Congrats on at least placing.

Gam 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I had a good day on the 10th. All released. Best trout day ever on the ice! Didn't have anyone to take a picture of the big one on the ice. Just made the improved Pooleys Lip Ripper the night before!

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice trout Pooley, you had a banner day.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Very nice Pooley and you made me hungry just looking at those fresh trout. I find a nice 18-20 inch trout makes a perfect meal for the wife and me the very night I catch it. I only ever keep just one because there is this thing in my head that says fresh caught trout means never frozen and goes directly from the water to the oven.

That is the type of fishing I like the best but too far to drive to find good trout from here.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fifield Outdoors congratulations on a good weekend of fishing. happy to see Ice shanty members among the prize winners at Highland Lake contest and KOI. Pooley thanks for the photos beautiful trout.
Steve

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Mr Clean. Had a great time up on Highland Lake it was the first time we fished there. Pooley awesome day congrats on those beautiful trout. Hopefully the ice will hold up some where close by. Good luck to all and be safe out there.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just read theres a fishing contest on Saratoga Lake this Sunday. All fish have to be weighed in live then they will be released. Walt

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BlueSail,Browningboy4 thank you for you reports from King of Ice contest .I checked Times Herald Record website and see history was made yesterday at contest first Queen of the ice . Rae Mootz of Kenoza Lake (Sullivan county) took the title with 26 inch,4.27 pound chain pickerel .

While out on Saturday and Sunday passed several small ponds that had mixture of skim ice/open water those still iced over had grayish looking ice so remember your spud and safety gear if venturing out this week. Getting onto and off ice surface maybe a challenge.

Also a couple days back I inquired for info. on business called Sportsman's garage with some searching found address and phone number.

Sportsman's Garage   (845)-627-3380    72 Third Street Godeffrey,NY.     Bud Flanagan is owner.

Enjoy the President's  Day holiday .
Steve

I am pretty sure the Sportsman's garage number is 672-3380 and not 627!

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Gamalot I just checked and you are correct about phone number for Sportsman's Garage . Thank you for catching my mistake.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Welp that's a wrap for this ice season. Was a slow 3 days on Sacandaga but we managed a couple fish. There was still 18" of ice up there which was a nice surprise. Overall was a good season for me didn't fish much but did manage a new pb walleye that measured 26" which was caught locally. All in all a good season. 

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
How's white lake looking after all this weather? I haven't seen any updates on if it's still holding strong or if the shore lines have gave way.

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Last Sunday the shore was starting to open up by the WLFD beach, haven't been by it since.

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks bud 👍🏻

Offline chris35

• IceShanty Rookie
looking to go out tomorrow to bethel area does anyone know  how the lakes in the area are ?  ???

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Overall a good season, still have some fillets in freezer.
Only complaint I have now is this weather, two storms in a row, winter wonderland and all that stuff, but look out over the lake and see WATER!!!??  ???Always sad to see waves and a foot or two of snow on the ground   >:(

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have been on generator power since last Friday's storm and no electric in sight or even the O&R electric company doing work. I guess I am in the forgotten land out here and hoping this storm fizzles out before the predicted 10-18 inches. Only around 6 inches so far.

The ice seemed to have melted right after the King contest so I put most of my gear away then. Thought about making a trip up north but even they are not as solid as they typically are this time of the season.

I'll be just as happy getting on the open water for the trout opener where I always do much better.

Gam

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Gam,

So superior is done for the year, even with the cold lately?  We were hoping for one more day there.

I was on generator power from Saturday morning until 1:40 AM last night.   First Con Edison said the estimate was Tuesday night, but then they extended it to Friday!  There was hope last night when I saw a bucket truck caravan drive by as I refueled the generator. It truly sucked for 3 1/2 nights

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gam,

So superior is done for the year, even with the cold lately?  We were hoping for one more day there.

I was on generator power from Saturday morning until 1:40 AM last night.   First Con Edison said the estimate was Tuesday night, but then they extended it to Friday!  There was hope last night when I saw a bucket truck caravan drive by as I refueled the generator. It truly sucked for 3 1/2 nights

I just saw my very first Orange and Rockland Utility truck go by my house. I complain about the gas cost to keep things running but it sure is good to have the generator when the power goes out for a week + at a time.

I don't fish Superior the last time I checked my usual haunts, Toronto and White Lake it was my opinion both were done. Could be others brave enough to still go out but just too sketchy for this man.

Gam

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing has been great. Super aggressive perch. Chase chase chase slam it. Better than 1st ice.
Very little snow on ice after all we had. Slight to no open edges. 3 degrees this morning, 37 now at 2:30.
Going to make a nice outing this afternoon.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Small glow fireball jig with a few small mealworms has been the ticket.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the link to stocking information. Hope your having a good Summer and open water fishing season.
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
From WPDH interview

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I hate predictions like this. Sounds like a real bad year for ice to get safe down here.

Gam

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
WPDH the radio station in Poughkeepsie?
Use to listen to them in jr and high school... :o
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
WPDH the radio station in Poughkeepsie?
Use to listen to them in jr and high school... :o

That's the one  :afro: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.