Author Topic: St.Croix Rod  (Read 3831 times)

Offline small_minnow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A day without ice is a bad day.
St.Croix Rod
« on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Been thinking about getting a St. Croix ice rod, but quite pricey. Does anyone own one, and what do you think of it?

S.M.

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
Re: St.Croix Rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:36 PM »
If you live near the Rochester area, take a trip to Dick's Sporting Good Store in Henrietta, marketplace mall.  The last time I was there, they were selling 28 inch St. Croix ultra-lite jig rods for $19.97 plus 25% off.  I now own two of these rods and I really like the action.  I have used them as my lite-medium action jigging rods because they do not have a super sensitive tip and I have found with heavier rapalas and such the rod works great.  It's sensitive enough for this type of fishing with enough spine in the design to "play" good sized fish.  I'll have to modify the post later tonight so I can identify the model of this rod.

I am very satisfied with the rod though I have not had an opportunity to fight/land a fish yet (the weather has not cooperated)!!

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:37 PM »
i've owned several over the year's and they are a finely built rod
I don't feel you can go wrong with st croix
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:46 PM »
i got one ;D
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline walicehuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on........
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I have a couple St. Croix spinning rods.  Very nice.  I was h@ll bent on buy a St. Croix jigging rod last winter.  I went to Gander Mt. to buy one.  I bought a Berkeley lightning jigging rod instead.  The St. Croix rods, for reasons I do not understand, have no reel seats or rings to hold the reel.  I asked the guy at Gander how to attach a reel.  He said you use plastic zip ties and he had a couple he would give me.  I'm not gonna pay $50 for a jigging rod and attach my reel with zip ties.  I was just at Cabela's and looked at them again.  I still cannot understand the whole reel attachment thing.  Maybe someone here can shed some light  ???.  

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:10 PM »
I have a couple St. Croix spinning rods.  Very nice.  I was h@ll bent on buy a St. Croix jigging rod last winter.  I went to Gander Mt. to buy one.  I bought a Berkeley lightning jigging rod instead.  The St. Croix rods, for reasons I do not understand, have no reel seats or rings to hold the reel.  I asked the guy at Gander how to attach a reel.  He said you use plastic zip ties and he had a couple he would give me.  I'm not gonna pay $50 for a jigging rod and attach my reel with zip ties.  I was just at Cabela's and looked at them again.  I still cannot understand the whole reel attachment thing.  Maybe someone here can shed some light  ???.  
My thoughts exactly .My buddy uses electrical tape to hold his reels on . For that kind of money you can get custom rods built with reel seats.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:21 PM »
That is all I use, and will never go back.
Thorne Bros. also have great custom rods. They, are pricey.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:49 PM »
I have a St.Crois premier combo I bought for 35$, currently it is my favourite rod I run..but I just orderd the St.Croix legend and I have super high expectations...we will see

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:36 PM »
icejunky - Which model did you order? light or heavy? And which indicator do you prefer? I fished with a guy up on Simcoe last week and he had the heavy. He wasn't sure about the light action. But thought it might be better for perch. I want to order one , but now I am not sure. Maybe Medium light? Thanks for any info.

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Great rod,super sensitivity,I own a ice rod and two 5'6" summer rods I use for jigging Walleyes,you can't go wrong! ;)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Great rods, very sensitive, with solid backbone. I am moving this to the Jigging section

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:30 PM »
I agree with the disappointment of not having a good reel seat for such a nice rod. I am currently looking for silicone tape to put them on with.

I now have 3 legends and 2 premiers of various actions. I would honestly not buy anything heavier than a medium action. They tend to run a little stiff in my opinion. The medium light is a nice rod for a good range of applications. If could swing it I would get a med-light and a medium action. Those are my two favorites.

Brian

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Willbilly....I ordered the lite action rod and a couple tips...the key is to make sure you order the medium and lite tips (heavy posiibly) so you can use a range of jig sizes with having the strike indicator bending all the way over or not at all

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:50 PM »
i own 2 24" avid  ultra lite rods and just bough a 24 " legend spring bobber rod. i love the rods they are very sensative rods. i personaly would find it hard to go back to any other rod but a st croix since i have used them, i belive they are worth every penny that you pay for them. so my opinion is definately to go and buy one if you can swing it.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:56 AM »
I had a medium St. Croix premier for a few years, and It really worked very well for me for lakers and walleyes.  this year I took the plunge, and got 2 UL , 1 ML, and one more M St. Croix premiers.  The UL's are FANTASTIC!!!  They are very sensitive, and also have a good backbone that helps me keep bigger fish well under control.  The medium light is perfect for jigging medium size lures for walleyes and large perch and the like, and the medium action is perfect for Lake Trout and heavier lures.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:03 AM »
Been thinking about getting a St. Croix ice rod, but quite pricey. Does anyone own one, and what do you think of it?

S.M.

If you use the search feature on here, you'll see plenty of responses on St. Croix rods. Here's a link to the search function if you can't locate it at the top of the forum--> http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=search
Ken                                          

Offline small_minnow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A day without ice is a bad day.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Thanks Bean, and all that responded.

S.M.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Guys - the reason you don't find a reelseat on most ice rods - and in particular, high end rods - is due to weight.  Simply put, reel seats add alot of undesirable weight to an ice rod, making it more difficult to balance the rods.  Only when you start to get into longer - say 32" plus rods, can you do a good job of balancing a rod with a reelseat.  The lack of a reelseat is a benefiit, not a drawback.  Use the silicone tape, the stuff is awesome.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2006, 03:16 PM »
i own a st. croix ml for perch and walleye i have even been using it for gills and crappie good sensitivity for a ml and as far as the reelseats i use yellow electrical tape to spice it up a bit works fine
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.