Author Topic: Freezing in the north country!!  (Read 1698 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Freezing in the north country!!
« on: Nov 05, 2017, 02:19 PM »
 ::)  Below freezing night for the next week or so.  I stole my wife's fancy oven thermometer and will start to take daytime temps as the water cools.   Not much hope for Christmas ice but its a start.
Dick

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Freezing in the north country!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:45 PM »
wish there was a "like" button

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:06 AM »
Dick,Plenty of time for X-mas ice IF the weather co-operates!  ;D

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:45 AM »
 ???  I don't know?   50 days to get water from 49 degrees to 4 inches of ice?? In ten days I will do daily temp. checks. Everything in Minn.  is below freezing day and night!!
Dick

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Not sure which lake you're targeting, but the localkitespots site has several lakes listed there. You could use these as a reference to how you're lake is doing. Click on the icon to get the air and subsurface water temperature.
http://localkitespots.com/kitesurfing/Vermont,%20New%20Hampshire?fs=1

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2017, 07:47 AM »
22 degrees here in Littleton.  Looks like below freezing for a few nights and some days.  My 15' by 15' shiner pond is skimmed over and I don't think it will open up again? Lots and lots of shiners in there!
Dick

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2017, 08:38 AM »
I might have to turn the furnace on tomorrow night...

FridaySunny, with a high near 33. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Friday NightMostly clear, with a low around 14.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:57 AM »
 First inch of ice (small ponds) came on Nov. 8 last year.  That first inch is needed before safe ice thickness can be estimated as Freezing Degree Days can be accumulated.   I  have graphs and formulas that help but I take all of them with a grain of salt?   
But weather coming out of the west and Canada looks frigid!  Here the next 7 nights will be below freezing but 40 degree daytime temps don't help? 
Regardless of pessimists I think this might be a normal winter, maybe like last winter?  I'm going to order my wax worms and spikes the first of December.
Dick

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:50 PM »
I think this might be a normal winter, maybe like last winter?  I'm going to order my wax worms and spikes the first of December.
Dick

I sure hope you are right, Dick!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2017, 03:13 PM »
I'm optimistic although I just got back from nearby trout pond launch and caught 2  nice rainbow trout while checking the water temp.  No ice at all but a frigid , 20 degree  wind was howling out of the North.   Water temp was down to 39 degrees.  Maybe a super cold and calm night in a week or so will begin the process?
Dick

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I agree we are on track was fishing on the 15th of dec last year...gonna stalk this thread

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2017, 07:36 AM »
I agree we are on track was fishing on the 15th of dec last year...gonna stalk this thread
I grew up in Dover with my dad's 49 Ford pickup in the driveway with a "I climbed Mt. Washington"
sticker
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05:44 AM »
11/13/17    34 degrees with some snow today.   Still no ice on the small trout ponds?  Had two inches of ice this day last year but a little behind schedule because of high winds last week.  Water temp says that ponds are ready to freeze so I'm still hoping for the second  week of December.  My wife just emailed me from Equador .  She says they can walk on the ice.  BUT she is at 30,000 ft.  looking for rare birds?
Big stocked rainbows still rising at local ponds.  I hate resorting to green power bait but it does provide an easy trout supper waiting for safe ice when I can catch perch and crappie.
Dick

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2017, 07:18 AM »
I saw a few puddles with ice in them yesterday morning! It was fun to see anyway.

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:18 AM »

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:25 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com