The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Montana hardwater hardwear, lures, gear, and the like  (Read 2807 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
So, as I sit here on an 80+degree day in mid September, I can't help but think about my little ice fishing poles dancing on the hardwater, little bells a jingling, just makes me smile. ;D 

I haven't started yet... but soon, I'll start gearing up for another great season.  as soon as the sporting good stores start switching over seasons, I'll start buying up all the "good" lures, and I'll start re-spooling all my poles, and organizing everything efficiently for maximum fishing time while out on the ice, so I'm not fumbling with untangling everything every time I'm out there. 

Thats pretty much my preseason ritual.  rebuilding everything from last season, and constructing some new gear.  What about every one else,  what are your preseason rituals???

and on a separate note...What are the first types of lures you start buying up each season?  the ones that if you waited too long, they'll all be gone, and if your shops are anything like mine, they NEVER get any more for the rest of the season.

Last year, it seemed like those little chubby darters were almost impossible to find, however when I did finally find the last one at some shop, I took the thing out, played with it for hours, and never got a single bite.  Probably just me, but all the lures I spent 1/2 the amount of money on were all doing quite well so the chubby darter got benched for the rest of the season. maybe this year though...?

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
Re: Montana hardwater hardwear, lures, gear, and the like
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:04 PM »
i Always start off the year with buying a couple new tip ups. and set the goal to bring enough new people out that i have to use them all

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:31 AM »
I've already started buying lures and one new rod!

I agree about local stores not carrying what you want later in the season.  So I watch for the jigs that I only bought one of last year that really worked well, and always get a few more of those once I see them out on the shelves.  This year I'll have to set up the IceCube in the shop to air it out and make sure no critters got into it.

I'm really thinkin' on getting an Icegator this year.  I can survive without a power auger(I have so far), but having an instant on Ice Hole Drilling Machine....OOOOhhh I get chicken skin just thinking about it.  And the fact that it doesn't make a racket is worth more than I'll pay.  The sound of Gas Ice augers breaking the tranquility of a beautiful morning on the ice has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Come On Old Man Winter!!!!

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Come On Old Man Winter!!!!

Good Fishing :tipup:
YES!  Let the deep freeze settle in!!! It can't happen soon enough if you ask me, my wife thinks differently of course ::), but oh well, guess I'll hafta work extra hard on the fall honey-to-do list so there's nothing left by the time the ice arrives! 

I bought enough poles and gear last season to take 3 or 4 people out, this preseason I'll focus on beefing up the war chest, i mean..tackle box.

As far as gas vrs. electric... Where you fish Neptune, I agree whole heartedly,  those lakes up there are smaller and quiet, and should remain so. I typically stick to Canyon Ferry where the hard water is huge, and there's already plenty of other idiots with power augers to break the silence. I try and get all the holes in as quick as possibly so I'm not too disruptive to others on the ice.  In fact, running the gas auger has given me some fine scent memories. now, whenever I smell 2 stroke I think of catching fish. Nothin like the smell of 2 stroke exhaust in the morning.  ;D  but I definitely respect your goal of silence. let me know how the ice gator works out.  ;)

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Yep.....saw my first snowflake today and nearly had a hear attack :)......getting snow on the mountains out the window as I write.  I've been searching this past summer for the northland forage minnow jigging spoons with the single hook but havent had any luck :(  I've been also been trying to pick up more eye-dropper jigs from northland but have been unable to find many...Have you guys ever used them and if so with any luck?.......well I whole heartedly agree...BRING ON THE HARDWATER!!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2008, 09:28 PM »
As far as preseason rituals, I usually just burn some incense and chant.  LOL.

Regarding gear issues, I generally buy good stuff and take care of it so I don't have an orgy of buying to start the season.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Yeah I've ordered that kit and found some more at sportsmans today to.....These are about the only thing I use and have good results, but to every man his own.  Thanks for the link!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2008, 10:37 PM »
I usually start my ritual sometime in December, a day or two before I go ice fishing.  Right now, all I'm thinking about is bowhunting and how I can squeeze some fly fishing in before everything freezes.  I pulled out the shanty last weekend, and gave it a good hose-down.  You can't do that in Dec.  I have a lot of tip-ups that I used when I lived in Malta, where you are allowed six.  Around here, you can only use two, so most of mine do not get used anymore.  In fact, I usually only carry rods with me now.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2008, 08:17 AM »
I found a screamin' deal on an Aqua-Vu Showdown fish finder on Ebay, so I had to buy it...hopefully it will be here tomorrow.  I'm going Crappie fishing Sunday morning and I like to test it out....

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:47 AM »
Was in missoula over the weekend and stopped into a few shops.  Sports Athority had all their last season ice fishing stuff, (not a huge selection), on sale.  30% off lowest price (everything had already been marked down twice!!)  So, I bought a pile of new tackle and line to re-spool everything.  Gotta love the pre-season deals. ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:47 AM »
Hey Neptune, I'm not too far from Columbia Falls, although 93 can get pretty treacherous in the winter.  Can you tell me where I can catch crappies around here?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Hey Neptune, I'm not too far from Columbia Falls, although 93 can get pretty treacherous in the winter.  Can you tell me where I can catch crappies around here?

There are only 3 lakes that I'm aware of that have Crappie.  Blanchard Lake, Lake Blaine(which is almost private, no public launch), and McGwiniggers slough(not really a lake).  FWP has no regs for Crappie in our district and no mention of lake Blaine or the slough for the existence of crappie.  I have only fished the slough for them so far, but I'm going to Blanchard Lake on Sunday morning with my buddy who has been SLAYING them there and they are really nice size...  If I get some I'll post pictures...

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2008, 06:17 PM »
 I pretty much go through every box I have and wash, sort out, and reorganize everything to make room for the new. Change line on all poles, and re-rig all my tip-ups. I have been dinking around with this stuff also for awhile now, as I can't waite either. Ihave to agree on the smell of two stroke oil it gives a guy a woody. The popping sound of that auger goose bumps! The chubby Darter is an awsome jig I have had some good luck with it and got some more this year, lost a couple last year on some fish. I also agree on the post about limited tackle around the stores here in MT. what is up with that.? FISH ON
Live Free Or Die.

Offline PerchFan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I have conections with a few sports stores so I get first whack at Icefishing supplies before the go on the shelves  ;D Ill have to put dibs  on a few of those darters Ive been hearing about. But I usually stock up on my mini jigs that seem to work on everything around here and sharpening my auger blades.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.