The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Helena Area Weekend Ice/Fishing Report  (Read 713 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Helena Area Weekend Ice/Fishing Report
« on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Anyone that whent out this weekend around the Helena area, I'd love to see how you did and the ice conditions... Here's my report.
Saturday, we started the morning off Hole in the Wall at Canyon Ferry, we were out quite a ways, and a little further north then I usually am.  Something new though.  Anyways, in 2 hours we caught 2 perch and missed 2 bites. Ice there was about 13 inches, and Snow depth was about 8-10 inches. Snow wasn't binding to the ice at all so it was still SUPER slippery.  Cleets didn't help much as the snow would pack under foot and then slide on the ice surface below you.  We packed up at about 10:00 and headed out to the pressure ridge.  We were in 45' of water there and did a little better, but not much, 9 perch there, none very big. all about 8-9"ers.  Snow cover was similar, Ice depth was 11 inches.  Standing water on 11 inches of ice next to the pressure ridge.  Holes drilled about 8-10 feet off the ridge showed water depths above the top of the hole.  At about 12'+ off the ridge no water level was to the top of the drilled holes.
Didn't notice anyone else really knocking em dead, but there were quite a few people out there.  I'll post a pic or two later when I get em on my comp. 
Tight lines!
Oh, and the tourney next weekend starts at 7:00 on saturday, with a sign in booth by the store at the Silos. Sat is single person biggest fish, Sun is team of 4 w/ 1 observer and most total poundage. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.