Author Topic: Keeping a Limit of Panfish and Enhancing the Fishery, Recipe Included  (Read 942 times)

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
Recycled Fish, In-Fisherman, our NGPC Fisheries Biologists all agree that harvesting fish for consumption is GOOD.  They also support SELECTIVE HARVEST when choosing to keep a meal of fresh caught fish.

First, we must understand SELECTIVE HARVEST!  It simply means harvesting the most abundant size fish in the specific fishery.  Usually, that is the "medium size" fish, although sometimes the smaller fish are dominant.

We ALL know the bigger fish are the most rare.  BUT, they are easier to fillet and provide more meat for the table.  Of course, at the expense of hampering the future success of the fishery.

Here's a solution for those who wish to "keep a limit".  Choose a limit of the abundant size- even IF they are "small" and give this a try:

Chop off the head, slice the bottom of the fish from the front to the tail and remove the "innerds".  Run a single slice from the front along one side of the dorsal fin to the tail.  "Rinse and Repeat" for the remaining fish.

-Crank your OVEN to 400*.  While it's heating up, grab a COOKIE SHEET and cover it with aluminum foil.  DO NOT "OIL THE FOIL"!
-Pat dry the fish and place what you can on the cookie sheet.
-Once the oven is to temperature, place the cookie sheet on the center rack.  Check after 8-10 minutes for "done".  NEVER overcook fish!

IF you are sharing, simply cut the aluminum foil with a shared quantity of fish and slide it on a plate.

The skin will easily pull back from the meat to the tail, the top meat will flake off easily with a fork- or better yet, your fingers.  The bones will easily release from the bottom meat, and that meat will easily flake off from the skin STUCK to the aluminum foil.

Roll up the aluminum foil when you are done and drop into the trash. 

If you kept your "bag limit", simply toss extra fish in a freezer bag and into the freezer.  Ready to thaw and "bake" for next time!

Easy to clean, little meat waste, a GREAT MEAL and you protected your fishery at the same time!

I'm betting that if you "try it, you'll like it"!  In fact, I've heard that even MIKEY likes it!

The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I'm in. What time is supper?

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sounds great.   I will be over tomorrow night.  I just wish more people would understand what they are doing to these fisheries for generations to come. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Thanks for the recipe! As I mentioned else where If I am going to fish for a meal I keep enough for my wife and myself. First seven or eight that take the bait go into our tummies the rest go back into the lake!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
That's a great idea!  I'll have to try this for those private ponds full of 7" crappie.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great idea!  Healthier way than deep fat frying as well.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Do you scale them? Can you take the skin off or will that not work? I found an old fish skinner. Would like to see if it works, but not at the expense of the recipe.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
Do you scale them? Can you take the skin off or will that not work? I found an old fish skinner. Would like to see if it works, but not at the expense of the recipe.
Keep it safe! JDL

Absolutely UNNECESSARY to skin or scale, but if you do I would suggest that you "oil the foil"!

The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
No, I was just making sure how to follow your recipe. I think it is going to be great!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.