The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: where is the big trout water?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
where is the big trout water?
« on: Jan 01, 2007, 11:35 PM »
My goal this season is to catch a trout 20" or more through the ice. So far this year many small 10-13 fish. I'm think Hebgan Lake this weekend. Any tips? Pointers? What are the big trout lakes within 2 hrs of Bozeman? Hebgan, Cliff? Wade? Canyon Ferry? Clark Canyon? Willow Creek Harrison? I'm askin ya...Looking for help..Lots of fish all small. Any trout pointers would be helpful.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Re: where is the big trout water?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:33 AM »
Boze,
I used to live in Bozeman a few years back.  Have been in touch with my old fishing buddies.  I'd say you would do best for big trout on the Causeway at Hauser.  I recall from my days there that we caught alot of nice sized (over 20") trout on Canyon Ferry but don't know how well that's fishing nowadays.  Check in at that Silos bait shop.  They ought to be able to steer you in the right direction.

I do recall most of the trout I caught came in at the mid-depths way above the perch I was jigging for (saw them on the Vexilar). 

Good Luck.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
Re: where is the big trout water?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2007, 06:40 AM »
IN Wyoming.    ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.