The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody getting ice yet?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Anybody getting ice yet?
« on: Nov 19, 2006, 11:41 AM »
Billings has to be the San Diego of Montana, I swear it's always 15 degrees warmer here than the rest of the state :%$#!:.  At this rate we aren't ever going to get ice.

Offline ratkilr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anybody getting ice yet?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:20 PM »
 Been cold here near Miles City. Local lake looks thick enough. Course I did not have spud bar or drill to see thickness.
 South Sandstone should be safe. It is always colder there than here.
 Gotta go check the freezer to see how much smelt I have left in my reserve freezer.
 Haven't seen smelt sold locally for awhile. Any stores in SE montana selling it?
 Dickenson ND food stores always seem to have it but not here.
 Ratkilr

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:49 AM »
The local lake (Spotted Eagle) has about 6 inches of very clear ice on it. I had to make sure the auger would start yesterday, and take the kiddo sledding. Let us know how Sandstone is when you get back.  ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:24 PM »
South of Bozeman and can you drive to the lake or do you need a sled?

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Weatherman is hinting that we might, just might, get some colder weather by the upcoming weekend.  Also hinting that this could be the start of maybe a pattern change to a cooler than normal stretch.  That's just what the doctor ordered.

Tight lines.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:11 AM »
Sounds great to me!!!  I have been watching the thermometer every day and it is killing me. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Earl_Gray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Even though weather has been warm we still have ice on the Hi-line.
Lower Beaver creek is a little iffy. I noticed that ice is thined out or melted away at the shore lines so be very careful when you step out. Last Tues. I found seven inches to be the average once you were away from the shallows.
Dry Fork a good eight inches seems solid. I bored 15 holes looking for Pearch and Northern on Thur (yesterday) Pretty uniform no matter where I drilled. The ice is melting up close to the stumps and brush that sticks up thorugh the ice. Again this warm weather has had it's effect on the ice.
I hear Fresno has eight to ten inches but again I haven't been out on it to check. I do hear that there are a number of spear fishing  shantys in place in some of the bays.
Above all be careful. Have fun!!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:21 PM »
I got out today 12/16 at the Causeway on Hauser for a few hours.  There was 4-5 inches still and it was making more.  I didn't catch any but some guys that got there before me had some nice trout.  I took my 2 year old daughter so I wasn't on a serious trip. We still had fun although playing hide and seek in a portable shelter just isn't the same.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline icefich

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:31 AM »
I was up on Lake Francis 12/4/06 and there was 6-7 inches of good hard ice. I don't know how it is now though with all the warm weather.

Stay on the dry side guys, and live to fish another day! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.