The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody getting thier gear ready?  (Read 4820 times)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Anybody getting thier gear ready?
« on: Oct 08, 2006, 06:57 PM »
Spent all weekend getting my icefishing gear ready.  Built a bunch of quick strike rigs, drank some Pabst, tru-oiled the wood on my tip ups, downed a few Pabst, cleaned and greased the reel shafts, some more Pabst, set up my house and did some work on the canvas, a couple PBR's really hit the spot, put new line on my tip ups, really worked up a sweat so I had some more blue ribbon beers, then a really long nap.  Should be about ready for the season to start. ;)
Darkhouse

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Anybody getting thier gear ready?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2006, 07:01 PM »
I broke out my auger the other day to give it a few pulls, make sure it's ready for first ice. I also organized my jigs into some new cases. I made a new rod purchase so next is line

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:13 PM »
went down to sportsman whse got some red owner treble hooks,a few new swizs,a couple line markers.and a knife sharpener. now need to find time to tune-up stuff. want to get a light weight power auger they did have tipups out but no augers,what are they waitin' for :unsure: i'm ready     mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Let's see....ordered some marmish jigs (based on comments here). Got some material to make runners for my shanty(based on design seen here). Bought some fresh Stren for the bluegill rods.  It's about two months to first ice around here, I'll have plenty of time to get those runners built.

gofish33

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:40 PM »
Yup my gear is all ready.  i actually did this friday during the day.  i switched my room over from open water to ice fishing and hunting, my hunting crap are just my guns and clothes the rest is ice gear.  Oh yeah I just picked up a  new fish trap pro, I was shantyless for all of5 hours.  i sold my two old shanties during the day and bought my new one that night.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2006, 11:54 PM »
Yeah, just bought some fresh tipup line, otherwise should be good to go.  Need to straighten out the tipup bucket snarl from last year.  Still some ossified minnows in there, complete with treble hooks attached.  LOL.

Hoping to get the boat out before it gets too cold and GPS some structure to minimize roaming around on the ice.  Looking forward to a great season.  Vex, Clam, Buddy heater, etc. are ready.  Hopefull we will have good early ice like last year (around Thanksgiving Holiday).  Hopefully, the ice will remain good unlike the record-breaking warm January we had last year.

Tight Lines.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2006, 07:36 PM »
The jiffy needs some work, I better get on that. ;)

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2006, 12:27 PM »

DHF
I admire the process you listed.  But when you're in 406 (a.k.a. God's area code), those "PBR" breaks should be for Lucky Lager.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2006, 04:11 PM »
I have been working on it all summer when I get the chance.  Being a full time employee, full time student, and a full time dad doesn't leave much time for anything else.  I Started a simple plywood shack at the beginning of July and I am still working on it now.  It just needs paint. I hope to have it finish before rifle season starts.

I did pick up some nice deals on Ebay this summer though.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2006, 06:38 PM »
been ordering jigs, new rod and just purchased a new fishtrap guide her in the last week, should be ready by the time we get ice.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Just got back from Billings.  No luck on finding maggots, waxworms or any other live bait, except crawlers.  Checked Scheels, Big Bear, Shiptons and Walmart.  Hopefully they will get a shipment in soon.  Also, some colder weather would be nice.  The guy at Scheels said they can't hardly keep the ice shantys in stock, as they are going out the door so fast.  They did have one of the Clam X2s out.  They look like the Cadillac of shantys, but are a bit heavy for me to load/unload and drag around.  If I had an ATV though  8).  Also a Yukon and 5600.  Prices are considerably higher than last year.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Check the big chain pet stores. They usually have waxies that they feed to the reptiles.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I just got back from Red.  MY gear was sitting there waiting.  Got the fever and made the 6 hour drive for the day.  My new fish trap guide is perfect for me.  Loaded up with all my gear, it was still easy to pull.  Need to figure out how to mount the power auger on the shanty (carried my hand auger).  The ice wasn't as thick as I thought it would be with all the cold weather and all up there.  The locals are starting to pull houses out about 1/2 mile out.  ATV and snowmobile travel can be used with caution.  Caught two wall eyes in the first 45 min. I was there. 6ft. water 1/4-1/2 mi. out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.