Author Topic: Ossipee in the Winter  (Read 814 times)

Offline djgrenels16

• IceShanty Rookie
Ossipee in the Winter
« on: Nov 02, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Looking for some feedback from those of you who've fished it. 
Looking at maybe renting there during the derby.  No direct access for our machines on the property so I'm hoping we could use the public launch?  Any worries with that? 
Does the entire lake tend to freeze over with the right conditions?  Any usual open areas or places of concern?
Any fished it during Derby weekend?  Crowded?
thanks as always......

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ossipee in the Winter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2021, 08:55 AM »
No direct access for our machines on the property so I'm hoping we could use the public launch?  Any worries with that? 

If you're referring to the public launch off Rt. 25 (Pine River launch) I wouldn't count on it.  Unless there's a snowmobile easement that follows the river to the lake, I would never trust that ice on foot, never mind on a machine.  Maybe there's another launch you're referring to but the only other one I know of is private and may not be open or available othewise.

Offline djgrenels16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2021, 09:47 AM »
I'm not too familiar with the area. 
Rt 25 launch is the public access I presume. Looks like Peqwuaket Trail Rd? Lakefront Landing Marina?

Winter access restricted to only that launch?

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2021, 10:03 AM »
Pictured is the public (state) launch off Rt. 25.  Note the river that boats must travel the river to get from the ramp to the lake.  Highly doubt that's doable with a machine. 

Lakefront Landing Marina, at the end of Pequawket Trail, is a private marina and I don't know if they allow snow machines to access from their property.  Also, there's current there and I don't know if it would be safe or they would want the liability. 

Offline djgrenels16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2021, 10:08 AM »

Ya the one off 25 would def seem sketch. Maybe worth calling the Marina though.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:20 AM »
I'm not too familiar with the area. 
Rt 25 launch is the public access I presume. Looks like Peqwuaket Trail Rd? Lakefront Landing Marina?

Winter access restricted to only that launch?

The one off peqwuaket trail is also on the river that connects the main lake to the other bays unless we have an extremely cold year never safe to access with a machine there is a couple of trails that connect to the lake we had a place off Ossipee lake rd in freedom the main trail goes right thru camp calumet i know guys access there fishing is very spotty we fished it last year but wound up at silver lake (better fishing).
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline djgrenels16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2021, 11:01 AM »
Thanks. I got in touch with the Marina and he suggested Constitution Park.  Sled trails apparently right to the lake.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2021, 11:21 AM »
yes water can get sketchy over there so definitely check before you get on the river outlet is there.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2021, 12:51 PM »
My family has a house at the lake and I fish it often, both hard and soft water.  There are plenty of big fish in the lake but they are not easy to catch or find.

Ice fishing access can be difficult however there are several places to get on.  If you are going there I will PM you a location that you can get on.

The lake has a lot of fish in it but it is not the easiest place to fish.  I really don't do that well there but I fish it because it is convenient.

As others have mentioned there are many inlets and outlets to be concerned about.  Study a map before venturing out on any type of machine.  It can be very dangerous if you don't know what to look for.

Aside from the dangerous areas mentioned above the lake does typically freeze up good and solid every winter.  Usually it is frozen before winnipesaukee. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.