Author Topic: Time to go battery  (Read 5930 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Time to go battery
« on: Sep 07, 2021, 10:18 AM »
I think I am about ready to bite the bullet on a  battery auger, I prefer a 10" and I tried a strikemaster last season a guy had. Just looking for opinions at the moment but leaning towards "Strikemaster"

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Time to go battery
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Only 2 that make a 10" auger that I know of are strikemaster and Ion. The Ion G2 is top notch, but you pay for it. I like the strikemaster, just not quite as smooth or as efficient as the G2.
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2021, 11:06 AM »
Only 2 that make a 10" auger that I know of are strikemaster and Ion. The Ion G2 is top notch, but you pay for it. I like the strikemaster, just not quite as smooth or as efficient as the G2.

Strikemaster = lazer /curvedblades ..which dont like dirty ice ...ION  = Mora/Shaver/flat blades little more forgiving in dirty ice . Research the replacement/spare a set of blades cost . For the most part you can hand sharpen at home Mora/Shaver/flat style blades ...with some skill set.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2021, 05:33 AM »
I'm a fan of chipper blades myself (i'm hard on augers and get a little brave by shore) but I tried Salmonemia's ion at the end of last year and man that was a nice auger.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Mark make sure you check fish usa they take care of veterans well.
Salmonemia

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2021, 07:52 AM »
Couple questions ...are you in a Dewalt or Milwaukee battery platform ? Maybe getting a bare tool could be an option . Do you drill 6" or 8" holes ? How many on each outing on average ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Couple questions ...are you in a Dewalt or Milwaukee battery platform ? Maybe getting a bare tool could be an option . Do you drill 6" or 8" holes ? How many on each outing on average ?

10" is a pretty big auger to run with a drill. Definitely do-able, but I guess I assumed he was looking more at the actual electric augers.
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2021, 08:36 AM »
10" is a pretty big auger to run with a drill. Definitely do-able, but I guess I assumed he was looking more at the actual electric augers.

Won't win any speed contests due to the gearbox ..but could pair with a underpowered/torqued drill and if you already have a 10" auger ..lots of options out there ...especially when you are at the cross roads .

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/clam-drill-plate-with-power-drive.html

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2021, 09:44 AM »
Ran the 10" G2 all last winter, cant wait for ice to get here and start using it again. Light weight, fast, easy to use and transport, durable, nothing bad to say about it.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Ran the 10" G2 all last winter, cant wait for ice to get here and start using it again. Light weight, fast, easy to use and transport, durable, nothing bad to say about it.

Best auger on the market!
Da Pack!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Is that the ion? What's the major difference between that and ionx?
Salmonemia

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2021, 12:28 PM »
I do not have a drill platform that I could convert to so I am looking for the actual electric auger and yes wayne, the G2 is made my ion..

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2021, 01:17 PM »
Is that the ion? What's the major difference between that and ionx?

Go to the ION website ..most of the differences are battery ah/size  ..the auger drill units size/material  ..G2 .all composite w/two 4 ah batteries ...Gen 1 all steel w/one 4ah battery ...R1..steel flighting w/composite bottom w/one 5 ah battery .. and weight based on the differences.

https://ioniceaugers.com/collections/electric-ice-augers

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2021, 01:21 PM »
I do not have a drill platform that I could convert to so I am looking for the actual electric auger and yes wayne, the G2 is made my ion..

Well looks like your down to auger weight,material,blade style and price...  between ION Gen2 and Strikemaster 40v .in the end it may come down to availability .

Online jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2021, 06:06 AM »
I want a 10 inch strike master as well but everything is sold out ..been looking for almost a year ..I can’t believe I just wrote that ..I love my old legend
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:25 AM »
Regarding battery drills, i'd look at the K Drill with a Milwaukee drill. Although they dont make a 10" (i dont believe), their 8" is great.
I've heard bad reviews after a few years on the ION's from others. I personally don't have any experience with the ION's.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2021, 12:25 PM »
jibbs  and bikrsrule I sent you both a PM.

Online jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2021, 06:36 PM »
The wife had one ordered without me knowing ..however I wanted a 10 inch but she bought the 8..not sure if I try to sell the 8 and order a ten

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2021, 04:50 PM »
I can get either the stikemaster or ion, decisions, decisions...both are in stock but the ion is 8 inch the strikemaster is 10..come on...HELP ME>> ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2021, 06:45 PM »
I can get either the stikemaster or ion, decisions, decisions...both are in stock but the ion is 8 inch the strikemaster is 10..come on...HELP ME>> ;D
You should get a what you really want…only way to happy with no regrets!  ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2021, 06:10 AM »
I have had an Ion 10 inch for years with no regrets!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2021, 03:46 AM »
Thank you all for your input, I went with strikemaster in 10 in from fishusa, got the 10% veteran discount. Now just wait for ice, no rush though, still out trolling.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2021, 06:21 AM »
Thank you all for your input, I went with strikemaster in 10 in from fishusa, got the 10% veteran discount. Now just wait for ice, no rush though, still out trolling.

Congrats! You are now in the 21st century!  ;D

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2021, 04:47 PM »

:clap: :clap: IMHO You will be happy with any electric aka "no hassle starting" drill!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2021, 09:11 PM »
Yes I believe any electric is better than lugging around a 48 lb jiffy but let's just you will be a happy man with your choice come ice time. I've owned both Ion x and strike master 10" . I thought the Ion was cool....until I used a Strike ;) Wow what a difference, I'll never look back.
You won't regret your decision.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 20, 2021, 03:29 PM »
strikemaster arrived today..now we wait for ice... :tipup:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 20, 2021, 04:34 PM »
strikemaster arrived today..now we wait for ice... :tipup:
Lol…It’s gonna feel like an eternity now that you have it!
Here’s hoping that you have December ice that gets thicker until salmon season!  ;D

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Yes I believe any electric is better than lugging around a 48 lb jiffy but let's just you will be a happy man with your choice come ice time. I've owned both Ion x and strike master 10" . I thought the Ion was cool....until I used a Strike ;) Wow what a difference, I'll never look back.
You won't regret your decision.

Just wait till you get the opportunity to try the G2  ;)
Da Pack!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 21, 2021, 12:26 PM »
This will be my 4th season with a 10" ion and what a pleasure it is to just pull the trigger and have it instantly cutting.  No working up a sweat getting the auger started and running.  No spilling gas, no fowling plugs.  On really cold days you will need to keep your battery warm in between running it.  I have a cheap, insulated lunch bag that I use.  You don't leave it in your car overnight.

Enjoy! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.