Author Topic: Portable buddy heater ? pilot blowing out  (Read 32935 times)

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Portable buddy heater ? pilot blowing out
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:54 AM »
I've got one of theose Mr' Buddy heaters as well, and my problem is the tip over sensor.  I use this heater in my admittedly small Fish Trap Scout. 

I made a plate that I fastened to the bottom of the heater and then attached 4 chunks of 1.5" PVC to the plate with a notch cutout of each of them.  The chunks of PVC "snap" on to the alum. tubes that run lengthwise on my scout (or should say used to, but that's another story).  This works really good for making sure it doesn't tip over.

However, If I so much as shift my weight around, the whole sled shifts a bit and bam there goes the heat.  The tip over sensor in my unit is way way too sensitive.

My questions, has anybody ever altered this sensor in anyway?  I know, i know, it's a life saver and I really shouldn't mess with it.  But the truth is there is very little chance of it tipping over and I never leave it on when I'm not in my portable anyway.  I plan to remove or disable the sensor this year if I can figure out where it is and how it works.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and/or fixed it?

Fredster

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:57 AM »
I am not sure where I found the information but whatI did to mine was raise that heat sensor up a bit.

the reason it keeps going off is that this heat sensor cools down too much and the unit thinks that it's because the flame isnot big enough and it is caused by low propane and then it shuts it off.  It is pretty detailed steps that you have too follow but it comes out that the heat sensor will now be closer to the actual flame and it won't cool down as much, there fore not shutting it down.

I am looking for that info and as soon as I find it I will post it.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:46 PM »
I am not sure where I found the information but whatI did to mine was raise that heat sensor up a bit.

the reason it keeps going off is that this heat sensor cools down too much and the unit thinks that it's because the flame isnot big enough and it is caused by low propane and then it shuts it off.  It is pretty detailed steps that you have too follow but it comes out that the heat sensor will now be closer to the actual flame and it won't cool down as much, there fore not shutting it down.

What you are reffering to here is the thermocouple. And yes it does have to be in the flame.  At least the top 1/3 of it.  It works by generating 30 milivolts which goes through a brown "wire", through a mercury switch, or "tip over sensor", then connects to the bottom of the gas valve which has a small coil of wire creating an electromagnet that pulls/holds open the valve allowing the propane to continue to the burner and the pilot with your finger taken away from the manual pilot button. Although I strongly discourage doing it, a jumper can be put in place of the mercury switch so every time you bump the heater it wont go out.  I do agree that I have found this switch to be too sensitive to my likings as well.  Note: If you tip the heater over, chances are it wont go out either, which can be a problem! :-\ As far as the wind blowing out the pilot, I think the best solution is some type of shield like the ones previously posted.  I hope this makes sense?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:31 AM »
the tipover feature still works good on it,  but the wind doesn't blow it out like it used to anymore. So I don't think that anything I did made it unsafe. I didn't remove anything just pushed up the Thermocoupler a bit into the flame.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Walleyboss,  adjusting the thermocouples position absolutely does not compromise the safety at all. Just remember to keep the top 1/3 of it in direct contact with the pilot light to prevent going out. :icefish:
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline josh154

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Thanks im gonna have to try this as my heater has been going out lately on windy days.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2008, 05:29 PM »

Please do - I have to blow gently on the pilot light to "fan" the flame low enough to heat the thermocouple so the light will stay lit - thanks

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Here is something you can try to see if it is because your thermocoupler is to far from your flame. And this fixed my problem of the wind shutting it off.

Pull off the guard on the front for starters. There's only one screw holding it together really. The rest is clips. So start out by unscrewing the screw on the bottom.That's what holds the ceramic plate on the front. It should just pull out now. With all of the guts exposed you can see the side that holds the bottle and how it's held together with clips. There's 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, With very little elbow grease and a lot of mpatience you can get it all unsnapped. The handle on the top is held together by a push ball with a little wiggle and a nail you can push the ball in and pull the whole side off. Now to get the metal front off . I used a screwdriver to lightly pry the bottom off of the bottom tray. Once I cleared the 2 clips holding it on the bottom it virtually fell off. Now you can see the thermocoupler up in the bracket. Unscrew the only screw holding both the coupler and the igniter in. Move the thermocoupler up in the bracket.Mine I acttually installed it outside of the bracket a bit. You''l understand when you see it . Now reassemble. It sounds hard but it is really easy.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:23 PM »
man - wish this post was there before I took mine apart - very difficult to get the clips apart without removing the burner!!! Taking that one screw out and pulling the ceramic (burner) off makes it cake.

After struggling to get it apart I did move the thermocouple up - that fixed the problem with having to gently blow the pilot flame down for a few seconds before the pilot would stay lit.

I still have my other problem and that's not a wind issue (check here http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=77728.0 for details)

thanks for the disassembly tips

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2008, 02:10 PM »
You guys need to keep in mind that the Oxygen depletion sensor really amounts to the pilot design. As the oxygen level declines, the pilot flame no longer contacts the thermocouple and pilot drops out. That really is the "oxy depletion sensor".  If you don't have a constant air supply into and out of your shanty, you will deplete the o2 in very short order. I would bet that is the root of most guy's problems.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jul 02, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Thanks Wallyboss and Shwung79.  After a couple seasons, I finally took my Mr. Buddy apart.
Without your good instructions, I probably would have broken a clip or something.  Thanks for the insights.

MD

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 19, 2008, 08:05 PM »
on the back of the packaging of a new thermocouple, there are instructions on how far you should set the it from wire mesh flame part.  for the original round metal mr.heater anyway,  it should have the buddy on there to by now.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.