Author Topic: Spoon size for Winnipeg  (Read 3040 times)

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spoon size for Winnipeg
« on: Nov 06, 2017, 02:53 PM »
We finally made it up to Big Windy last year and are gonna try again this winter before it gets fished (netted?) out. I'm looking at getting a few lures that will probably only be used up there. As far as spoons, how big is too big? There is a new size buckshot flutter spoon (7/8 oz.) that is huge. Is it too big or is that perfect for up there?

Offline fishinfirefighter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spoon size for Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Last year I was using spoons as big as 5 and 6 inches with good success.
If the walleye are feeding on ciscoes then the bigger spoons will work for them.
Picked up a few of the bigger buckshot spoons myself to try out this year.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:12 PM »
RJ, pelican, custom jigs and spins slender spoons, and the Northland glo spoon. Looking forward to trying the last one.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I had good success last year on the smaller 2" RNR blades in perch colors. The larger ones seemed to scare them off, but that could just be my jigging.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:41 PM »
They absolutely loved the new glow shot spoon in wonderbread last weekend, east side of the lake.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:49 PM »
They absolutely loved the new glow shot spoon in wonderbread last weekend, east side of the lake.

You were on the lake ? is the ice thick enough for quads ? I have heard rumors of guys going out but so far no actual confirmation
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:03 AM »
On last week. Was 5” then, Donovan was on 12 at balsom yesterday. I’m ok with it for quads. Not sure about the west side. It was a gong show. All eaters for us, nothing over 21”.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Good to know .......will be hitting Balsom after Christmas , usually that's my start time depending on the ice .......how was the ice , i heard that it was rough due to breakage ? again , not sure of this

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Broken up near shore, but smoothed out a bit out. We only went about 500 yds from shore. Looks like 10-12” now. First truck down today already. Lol!

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Broken up near shore, but smoothed out a bit out. We only went about 500 yds from shore. Looks like 10-12” now. First truck down today already. Lol!
///......................someone drove on ? ya gets what ya gets i guess ........i guess as long as no one died it's all good , but seriously it's way to early to be driving on with a truck

Offline landlockedviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:04 AM »
we went on at Rd. 103 on Saturday, the bite was hot from sun up until about 9am then it slowed right down... we probably should have moved deeper at that point. Ice was a solid 12" lots of quads and sxs and sleds on. Didn't see too many trucks drive out, but did see a few within a few hundred yards of shore.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Saw a picture of someone who dropped in at Nettle or Petersfield , not sure  but the cab is showing so not that deep , but it's sunk truck / metal shack ......to early o venture out on trucks in my book , not worth a fish to drop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.