Author Topic: Smitty Sled guidance  (Read 2690 times)

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
Smitty Sled guidance
« on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:58 AM »
I've got a question regarding Smitty Sleds. I actually got out this past weekend in Wisconsin to a small 250 acre lake . Mind you it has been about 3 years since I have been out. The last time I was out it was just ice so pulling my Otter cottage with gear was a breeze.
But this past weekend was a challenge there was about 3 to 3 1/2".of wet snow on the ice. Needless to say I thought I was going to have a heart attack  10 times over pulling that @#+$ing around.
I've done some research  but I figured I'd reach out to members with suggestions ideas like best skis to use , design, height ECT
Thanks
Mark

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smitty Sled guidance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Best skis, would be the cheapest you kind find in my opinion.

I used 2x8’s for the risers on my first smitty, and I think that was overkill.

When you decide in the cross pieces, measure what you are going to put on top of it. For instances, I made sure my jet sled and my hub fir side by side. But also left enough room so a buddy’s jet sled could also fit side by side next to my sled.

Good luck!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Downhill/wider skis ..14-16 foot rope . Conditions are the greatest barrier to a smooth drag ..they can include..temperature.. and what type of ice ..hard/black ice EZPZ ..wet/soft ice not so much. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Google it and you will get some good info, utube videos, pictures, etc.....I want to throw a couple together myself but not just for the ease of walking but also saving the bottom of my tub when pulling behind a 4-wheeler or sled..... not sure how that will work though.....should be ok with rigid tow bar?????

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2020, 03:05 AM »
Markum, go to the equipment forum. First child board had 65 pages all about Smitty sleds.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2020, 05:45 AM »
I used 2x8 also.  thinking of snow depth.  I think its fine that way myself.  if its not to your liking, after made, just rip some off bottom and reattach.  I don't think ski type would be discernable in pulling.  pulls easy enough it will run you down. lol 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline markum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Unclegillgetter
I couldn't find what you were talking about on this platform. Can you possibly send me a screenshot?
Thanks
Mark

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:54 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0
If that doesn't work it's in the equipment page, sticky on the top of fish page, something like my homemade sled, aka smitty sled.
Also make sure the risers are not too fast forward, they need to be more to the back of the ski.

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:56 PM »
I bought the plans to make the Original Smitty Sled online. I figured that set up would work out the best, since you can disassemble them for easier stowing. Pretty simple to make. I made mine taller than the plans said to. All that being said, I have never used it. There hasn't been any snow in NE Indiana this winter or last. So I cannot tell if I like using it or not.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:26 AM »
They are nice when pulling a large load on snow... and like riverscum said on glare ice or hills they will run you down.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:44 AM »
They are nice when pulling a large load on snow... and like riverscum said on glare ice or hills they will run you down.

For the downhill situations, I drilled holes in the back of my sled, slipped the ends of a rope through each and tied a knot. Now I walk behind it steering with the rope. Works great.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:56 AM »
I bought the plans to make the Original Smitty Sled online. I figured that set up would work out the best, since you can disassemble them for easier stowing. Pretty simple to make. I made mine taller than the plans said to. All that being said, I have never used it. There hasn't been any snow in NE Indiana this winter or last. So I cannot tell if I like using it or not.
I built mine because last season the snow almost killed me! So of course now that I have one we never got enough snow this season to use it! Figures!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:05 AM »
I made one of wood but found it was heavy. My current build is made of PVC which works well, but on those really cold days you have to baby it a bit when disassembling. When it gets to 15 or more below the PVC gets brittle and I've cracked and replaced portions over the last couple years. Luckily, it is all cheap and easy to replace.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:12 AM »
ah come on iceassin.  just jump on top a yell YYYEEEEEHHHAAAAWW lol  my rope is long enough to put under and out the back to go down hills.   

smitty sled so fast they are be dangerous!
can you envision this?  your smitty gets away from you on a 40* incline that's 50yrd long.  there is a guy at bottom rt in line.  too bad he has those ear bud things in(listening talk radio no doubt) and cant hear you yelling.  150# of gear blind sides him.  he was just there to pre-fish for a big birthday party on the ice the next day.  he would have been 82.    ;D

OANN the real story

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:15 AM »
ah come on iceassin.  just jump on top a yell YYYEEEEEHHHAAAAWW lol  my rope is long enough to put under and out the back to go down hills.   

can you envision this?  your smitty gets away from you on a 40* incline that's 50yrd long.  there is a guy at bottom rt in line.  too bad he has those ear bud things in(listening talk radio no doubt) and cant hear you yelling.  150# of gear blind sides him.  he was just there to pre-fish for a big birthday party on the ice the next day.  he would have been 82.    ;D

At my age, the Yeehaws have turned into Ohno's!!! :o ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:26 AM »
hello
there are a lot of plans that are on internet by typing in smitty sleds
i use this idea post from you tube How To Build A "Smitty" Type Ice Fishing Sled. Easy DIY ...
or just type in smitty sled  there many pictures and plans that are free
snowsnake

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:39 AM »

I want to see someone ride one down mississinewa ramp!
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:48 AM »
there ya go fishinator!  lets take up a donation for him too!!!!!!!!  lol  I bet you would break 50mph!

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.