Author Topic: Chumming for perch  (Read 6546 times)

Offline bent rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chumming for perch
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Have you ever chummed for perch?  I heard rice works.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Chumming for perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 01:39 PM »
When they are around and in the mood to bite just about anything will draw them in. We can't legally chum here so I don't get to practice very much.

WS

Offline bent rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:28 AM »
I'll have to check the PA rules before I try it but I think I heard of guys doing it in Ohio on Lake Erie.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Mashed up minnows, ground up fish balls, minnow food, cottage cheese, it all will work. You usually need to put something in the balls so they sink (small sinker,rock, small bolt) Here you can't throw stuff into the lake either, so I am just going on what others have told me  ;D

Definitely check regulations before trying anything.

WS

Offline bent rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:32 AM »
I checked the PA regulations and I think I am good to go.  They said it was alright to chum with corn for trout and carp so I'm assuming that I can chum for Perch.  A lot of guys in PA use corn to catch stocked trout in the streams.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Carp like canned corn soaked in grape pop.

WS

Offline woodzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I use oatmeal...  throw a handful in the hole and it will gradually sink over the next hour or so.  Think it's more of an attractant than anything else tho.  works great for rainbows too.

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Crushed egg shells works also.  I set one jigging pole up with a 3 inch curly tail on a 1/8 oz. jig head and bounce it around for a while than slide a small rocker full of maggots down the hole and usually get hits.
sparky

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:53 AM »
The deep water perch here on Lake Champlain usually puke up alewives & smelt at the holes, so that's a bonus.
I've used the yellow perch spawn sacks from a couple of fish that are mortally wounded bringing them up, whether it be the bladder or bleeding at the gills with tremendous results on bringing in white perch to go on a frenzy.
Tried egg shells with mixed results, peas too.

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:30 PM »
I'll often chum with spikes to get them started and hold them around while fighting other fish. Not a lot, just enough to keep them interested and often use my oldest half dead and brown ones.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I've thought about drilling a coulpe of holes 10 feet apart from each other and then drilling a ton around them in a circle and then dropping weighted frozen krill blocks down the center holes. It would be awesome if it held the perch right there and all you would have to do is hop around in a circle to stay on them.

May need to try it this year!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:12 PM »
I've thought about drilling a coulpe of holes 10 feet apart from each other and then drilling a ton around them in a circle and then dropping weighted frozen krill blocks down the center holes. It would be awesome if it held the perch right there and all you would have to do is hop around in a circle to stay on them.

May need to try it this year!
Just don't do so much krill that they don't want to eat what you are offering!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.