Author Topic: is there big perch?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
is there big perch?
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:15 PM »
i fish a local lake that has tons of dink perch in it. it also has a bunch of decent sized crappie and bass. ive never caught any perch over 5inches out of this lake winter or summer. it is about 10-15fow in most areas with some weeds and rock piles but i always catch the dinks on these structures and just about everywhere i try to fish. so my question is ... is there big perch in this lake or do the conditions limit the size of the perch?

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: is there big perch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:41 PM »
the only lakes i ever see large perch in are the larger lakes with multiple species in them. all of the bass lakes i fish in the summer seem to have tiny perch in them. I think not enough area and not enough predators plus good reproduction makes all the perch stunted. take a couple small ones you catch next time and squeeze them. If spawn pops out you got stunted fish and you may want to not even waste your time fishing for them.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:27 PM »
i catch some large perch in little lakes you just have to get through the pile of little ones.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:12 AM »
most times they school according to size. That doesn't mean that there is Jumbos in the lake but you should move away from the small fish schools to try and locate bigger fish.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Yesterday's a prime example.  I went to a lake with my dad and jigged up prob. 50-60 dink Perch.  Only a couple of 'em were keepers.  Now mind you, I was doing C and R so I didn't care.  Yes, it was fun catching a lot of fish, but if I want to catch big Perch, I'm going to head to the places that produce consistently.  Just like deer hunting- if you want to shoot big bucks, you have to hunt where big bucks live.  Prob. overpopulated like one of the other guys said. 

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:09 PM »
i fish a local lake that has tons of dink perch in it. it also has a bunch of decent sized crappie and bass. ive never caught any perch over 5inches out of this lake winter or summer. it is about 10-15fow in most areas with some weeds and rock piles but i always catch the dinks on these structures and just about everywhere i try to fish. so my question is ... is there big perch in this lake or do the conditions limit the size of the perch?

Sounds like a problem I had on Meacham Lake up by you.  I will say that the perch up in the Adirondack ponds run small.  I am not biologist but my guess is the limited food supply.  I say target the bigger lakes for schooling fish like perch and that should provide more forage and an increase in the size of your catch.  Lake Champlain and Lake George could be options.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:30 AM »
i dont know if its so much the size of the lake or pond. i have fished 10 acre ponds with big perch it has more to do with preditory fish and survival rate for perch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.