The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion or drill conversation??  (Read 1762 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ion or drill conversation??
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Looking for opinions and reviewd on whether or not I should purchase a Ion 8" or buy a drill and hand auger conversation set up. I am looking for 8" augers. I currently have a Job pro 4 but want to cut down on size and weight as I have been walking to my fishing spots this year and hate lugging around my pro4 from hole to hole. I normally.fish alone or with one other person so usually don't drill over 25 holes a trip. What's everyone's opinions??

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ion or drill conversation??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:20 PM »
If you want to save weight and still cut a 8” hole buy a nils. I fished with a guy the other day that had an ion it was really nice but I can cut just as fast with a nils.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:40 PM »
even through 24" of ice? I cant imagine hand cutting 25 holes through 24" of ice

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Milwaukee Mud Mixer with the bit of your choice.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I started out with lazer for a few years then went with 8" ion when they first came out,no reverse on this model.  Now my current set up is a 20 volt brushless Dewalt with a 6" nils................wh at a difference.  It cuts very quick and along with that the weight is near to none.  I've had 2 rotocuff surgerys and weight is key to me.  At the end of the season I have a good drill for around the shop useage

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:44 PM »
I have the Ice Kicker 2 and and two drills, a Nils 8 and a mora 8. The mora and ice kicker are easy to carry around . Much shorter flights the Nils blue will cut 48 inches of ice longer flights , i really like both . I had  surgery on my neck  5/6/7 fusion . Wanted something lighter so far 95.00 for the kicker 2 ,229.00 for the Rigid Combo + free tool and LSA and 148.00 for the Nils . Buddy has the ION loves it , one thing he said it skips on the ice before getting a hole started ?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Thought about a drill also.  Reason for the Ion instead was that it is specifically designed tool for the ice.  The drill motors are pretty small, even though many have good luck with them.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Thought about a drill also.  Reason for the Ion instead was that it is specifically designed tool for the ice.  The drill motors are pretty small, even though many have good luck with them.
.    I bet the “smaller” drill motors outnumber the Ion 10-1 , whatever works to each his own! Huge number having success with drills !

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:44 AM »
you need to find someone who uses the drill set up and try it--------------you will be amazed

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:47 AM »
i use a drill set up.  have used an ion.  they too are really nice. i enjoy the multipurpose of my drill AND as nice as the ion is ITS SLOW.  like not enough to hinder a fishing trip mind you but its noticable.  on 20" of ice last week, i had 2 holes cut before the ion even finished 1. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I had an ion, and it was nice.  A little slower than some setups.  I mostly use drill setups now.  I like that I can use the drill batteries to run a flasher or shanty lights using the power adapters.  I like that I can have a backup drill and charger in the case under my truck seat, just in case I need it.  I use the SM synthetic 110mm drill a lot, it's crazy light and fast. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I use the SM synthetic 110mm drill a lot, it's crazy light and fast.

Not familiar with that one. What does SM stand for?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Milwaukee Mud Mixer with the bit of your choice.

I will second this suggestion!  I bought the mud mixer last week and used my Ice Master Adapter to add my Nils Auger to it.  It drilled as fast as I could ever want.  I drilled about 25 holes throughout the day and left the battery out in the cold the whole time.  At the end of the day I still had 3 bars out of 4 left on the battery.   I would say the whole unit is just slightly heavier than a regular drill and auger, but it is much easier to handle and maneuver.  And a whole lot lighter and easier than any gas auger out there. (Anyone want to buy my old gas auger, I wont ever have a need for it again!)

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:43 AM »
I can't say enough good things about the ice kicker II.  It turns a crappy drill into a power auger.  I have an old blue ryobi 18v drill with a 4Ah Lithium ion battery coupled through the ice kicker to a 6" Lazer.  It will drill more holes on one battery than I have found a need for.  51 holes is the most I have drilled this year (though that was only 6" of ice).  With a more robust drill (anything is going to bet better than my drill), I have no doubt it will turn an 8" lazer just fine. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.