Author Topic: Homemade Clam plate?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Homemade Clam plate?
« on: Oct 30, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Anyone have one? Looking to make my own. Suggestions? Pics? Thanks.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Homemade Clam plate?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2019, 04:19 PM »

I suggest starting with Quahog clams. Steaming works well.

The hard clam, also known as a quahog (/ˈk(w)oʊhɒɡ/; or quahaug), round clam or hard-shell clam, is an edible marine bivalve mollusc that is native to the eastern shores of North America and Central America from Prince Edward Island to the Yucatán Peninsula. It is one of many unrelated edible bivalves that in the United States are frequently referred to simply as clams, as in the expression "clam digging".
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2019, 07:02 PM »

I suggest starting with Quahog clams. Steaming works well.

The hard clam, also known as a quahog (/ˈk(w)oʊhɒɡ/; or quahaug), round clam or hard-shell clam, is an edible marine bivalve mollusc that is native to the eastern shores of North America and Central America from Prince Edward Island to the Yucatán Peninsula. It is one of many unrelated edible bivalves that in the United States are frequently referred to simply as clams, as in the expression "clam digging".

🙄🤣

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2019, 10:51 PM »
I havent done it myself, but ive seen a few youtube. Videos of  different ways folks have done dyi clam plates. An aluminum pan with a hole drilled in the middle was the simplest and cheapeat method i saw.  But the ended up adding a few washers to each side for structural stability.
I know its not the best amswer you could hope for, but at least its not a recipe ;)
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2019, 05:27 AM »
Unless you like the tinkering and have the materials and tools, it would probably save a ton of heartache, stress and money to just buy one. Fish USA has 'em in stock for $75.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2019, 06:29 AM »
Unless you like the tinkering and have the materials and tools, it would probably save a ton of heartache, stress and money to just buy one. Fish USA has 'em in stock for $75.

I do like tinkering...I do have the tools...and I also have the time (retired). I just don't have the design yet. But it is on my mental drawing board. And if there is a way?...gonna do it for a lot less than $75. If not, I'll 2 hand it like I've been doing.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:14 AM »
I do like tinkering...I do have the tools...and I also have the time (retired). I just don't have the design yet. But it is on my mental drawing board. And if there is a way?...gonna do it for a lot less than $75. If not, I'll 2 hand it like I've been doing.

I don't yet have a tool collection, no sight of retirement, but feel i am on my way to following jn your footsteps iceassin.
I love homemade and DIY. I enjoy the brainstorming and planning, the creation, and execution. Then the reward of using the things I made (especially when it works) is worth the time and effort.

Good luck on your design and i will be waiting for the pictures
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:23 AM »
If you're going to build your own I'd look hard at adding gear reduction.   I bought one on Ebay a few years ago.   It works a treat even with a lesser drill.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2019, 05:55 PM »
I have built 3 or 4 clam plate knock offs. I by the bearings off ebay. I used 1/2" plywood for the plate. I also made the adapter for the drill to auger.  I will try later and post some pics.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:03 PM »

Mizayikaa

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Nice build.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:19 PM »

I think it would be easy to build if you wanted to put the time in. It's a pretty simple design.

Bend some conduit for the handle, a little steel plate. With the correct tools.....I think you'd have a working plate in a few hours.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Outstanding build KC. Great to be able to build and use our own stuff.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.