Author Topic: 13 Fish Free Fall  (Read 11842 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
13 Fish Free Fall
« on: Oct 26, 2019, 09:01 PM »
I purchased couple of these last season and like using them.   Around here our walleye average is under 18”.   Looking to be taking couple trips to walleye destinations and wonder how well the drag works on some larger eyes.   Anyone have experience with these?

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 13 Fish Free Fall
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I've never used one but work at a retail store that sells them frequently, we have played around with them a lot, from what I can tell is Shimano spinning reels priced
in the same category have a way better, consistent and smoother drag.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Inlines are more or less known to have worse drags than spinning reels

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Shimano's are known for their gear reliability.

As for inline's there is an expensive Shimano version originally designed not for ice fishing but can be repurpose for ice fishing.  It's called a Shimano Seihakou reel.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2019, 10:58 AM »
I'll stick with the $100 reels.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Shimano's are known for their gear reliability.

As for inline's there is an expensive Shimano version originally designed not for ice fishing but can be repurpose for ice fishing.  It's called a Shimano Seihakou reel.

Now that is a sweet reel, but I wonder how some of those models work without a drag???
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:50 AM »
I might have just had a dud of a reel, but i found the "free fall" feature on mine to not work properly, unless i had a heavy jig on. I bought an UL tickle pickle so it was my primary panfish rod. I was disappointed that most of my panfish jigs didnt free fall and i eventually just switched the reel out for a small spinning one.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I might have just had a dud of a reel, but i found the "free fall" feature on mine to not work properly, unless i had a heavy jig on. I bought an UL tickle pickle so it was my primary panfish rod. I was disappointed that most of my panfish jigs didnt free fall and i eventually just switched the reel out for a small spinning one.

Mine was the same way, I ended up moving the free fall to a bit heavier rod to fish bigger/heavier jigs. I put a spinning reel on my tickle stick also.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Now that is a sweet reel, but I wonder how some of those models work without a drag???

It's too expensive for me, like how fly reels are just expensive for the good ones.

Some of them models have drag.  There's a drag nut right next to handle too.  Like bait casting reels have a star drag nut too.

Google image.  Shows one without drag and one with drag.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:51 AM »

Weird contraption from Ebay.

Looks like geared fly reel with a level wind line guide.  Description listed as:

11BB 2.6:1 Fishing Reel Valve Micro Lead Raft Sea Ice Lake Rod Line Wheel Metal

I'd be very careful about getting a finger caught in that little vice.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Mine was the same way, I ended up moving the free fall to a bit heavier rod to fish bigger/heavier jigs. I put a spinning reel on my tickle stick also.
My Black Betty FreeFall works great for me.

My experience is that it does great even with tiny jigs or hooks with tiny splitshot.

Is that a consensus here?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:11 PM »
My Black Betty FreeFall works great for me.

My experience is that it does great even with tiny jigs or hooks with tiny splitshot.

Is that a consensus here?

Only if the black Betty free fall works significantly better than the ghost. Bought a ghost when they came out,  it became a paper weight pretty quick. Couldn't force myself to use it

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Try this Black Betty. Blast to fish.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:29 AM »
No you didn't get a dud. Bought one and would not free fall. took it back got another one and same thing. Just put it on a heavier rod with heavier jigs. Freefall ghost same deal, except didn't replace.The BB-6061 is a nice inline, I have 3 of those.
Keep it safe!JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Fact: Most reels comes with excessive grease and oil.  If one really wants to achieve the optimal performance, it does take a little cleaning out the excessive grease and oil in the reels.  Even spinning reels gets sluggish when fished in cold freezing weather.

Reels like bait casting have some spool bearings.  Cleaning them out and putting in high speed oil helps them a lot.  Especially in the case of casting lighter weight lures, namely in the 1/4 oz or lighter.  It can be achieved to get free fall on lures with 1/32nd oz.  Although a lure pulling a spool/wheel will tend to be slower than line just peeling off a spinning reel.

For your inline reels, cleaning out the spool bearings will get them to free fall lures even better.  It follows the same principal of using just enough lubricant to achieve the optimal results.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2019, 01:47 PM »
Fact: Most reels comes with excessive grease and oil.  If one really wants to achieve the optimal performance, it does take a little cleaning out the excessive grease and oil in the reels.  Even spinning reels gets sluggish when fished in cold freezing weather.

Reels like bait casting have some spool bearings.  Cleaning them out and putting in high speed oil helps them a lot.  Especially in the case of casting lighter weight lures, namely in the 1/4 oz or lighter.  It can be achieved to get free fall on lures with 1/32nd oz.  Although a lure pulling a spool/wheel will tend to be slower than line just peeling off a spinning reel.

For your inline reels, cleaning out the spool bearings will get them to free fall lures even better.  It follows the same principal of using just enough lubricant to achieve the optimal results.
Ok the freefall function didn’t work in an ambient temperature of 85f. At that temp could it be that easy that it has too much grease? Never had any problems with the 6061’s or for that matter any of my spinning reels. Would be great if all I had to do to get the freefall to drop a 1/32 oz jig is clean some grease.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Ok the freefall function didn’t work in an ambient temperature of 85f. At that temp could it be that easy that it has too much grease? Never had any problems with the 6061’s or for that matter any of my spinning reels. Would be great if all I had to do to get the freefall to drop a 1/32 oz jig is clean some grease.
Keep it safe! JDL

Just like motor oil.  There's thick oil and thin oil.  If it is resisting at normal temps, it will resist more at colder temps.

Something to do with physics too.  If your line itself is too much weight, that tiny lure ain't going to pull the weight of all that spool.  That lure weight has to drive the turning of the entire spool.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Try tri flow or another dry lube on the spool shaft.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Spooling up with Nanofil made a big improvement in the drop for me.  Tried floro and Fireline, but both those would bind enough on the spool to make me have to pull on the line to free it.

Offline RedRiverRick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:58 PM »
I purchased couple of these last season and like using them.   Around here our walleye average is under 18”.   Looking to be taking couple trips to walleye destinations and wonder how well the drag works on some larger eyes.   Anyone have experience with these?
I’m up by Lake Winnipeg, I used mine a couple times. And sold it. Not very good for big Walleye.
What colour are you using?

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:33 AM »
we were catching 3-5lb white bass on a freefall a few years ago and the drag was terrible on them.   I'd look into a spinning reel. 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Try this Black Betty. Blast to fish.

Still my favorite reel. Absolute blast for any species and has the best drag system out there! (Me :) )
Da Pack!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:55 PM »
we were catching 3-5lb white bass on a freefall a few years ago and the drag was terrible on them.   I'd look into a spinning reel.

I've heard this a lot from Customers "Cabelas" and from people on youtube..
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:07 AM »
was not smooth at all.  would just all the sudden scream off.  I imagine you could probably modify them to work better but for me,  the variables for it to be a successful product were not there.   It does not "freefall" a 3-4mm tungsten jigs in any outdoor/wind condition.  and I don't like the drags for fighting larger bass/walleyes/whitebass.   the trigger system is awesome though.  beside those issues in each of those situations, the other features of the reel shine.   

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Same problem with my ghost, does not like to freefall small stuff, especially when it is cold and/or windy. Has anyone ever tore one down and replaced the oil/grease to something lighter?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:03 PM »
All these in line reels seem to be made for shanty jigging only.  You take them out in the elements and they don't work like they should.  Pros and cons but I'll take a solid spinning setup any day of the week.
westernmas on the finder

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:27 PM »
All these in line reels seem to be made for shanty jigging only.  You take them out in the elements and they don't work like they should.  Pros and cons but I'll take a solid spinning setup any day of the week.

Me too but when it does work it's awesome

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:25 AM »
Same problem with my ghost, does not like to freefall small stuff, especially when it is cold and/or windy. Has anyone ever tore one down and replaced the oil/grease to something lighter?
Yes. Can't find it but one of the members actually had a step by step post on this site. good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Ive done it on the ec inline and the cgi no8.best thing to do is get all the grease out of the reel gears.put a few drops of oil in it.they still suck but smoother in the cold.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Yes. Can't find it but one of the members actually had a step by step post on this site. good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

I can'r seem to find it either, gonna have to just open 'er up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.