Author Topic: Hmmm???  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Hmmm???
« on: Oct 14, 2019, 04:50 AM »
https://www.harborfreight.com/Portable-Fish-Finder-62675.html

Reviews were either "all in" or "don't bother".  Certainly wouldn't use it to replace my Vex, but to check depth and locate structures without drilling a hole. For $40 wouldn't be out much. Boom or bust? Too good to be true?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hmmm???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2019, 05:21 AM »
there are some things from HF that are well worth the money and there are some things I wouldn't waste the money on. This looks like one of the things I wouldn't waste money on. But, if you got $40 to throw away, give it a try. You might be surprised... but don't be surprised if you just have another hunk of junk to throw in a junk box in the garage!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I don't see where it says that it will shoot through the ice. If it does shoot through the ice, I would wait til December to buy it so that if you are not happy with it, you can return it within 30 days. MAKE SURE THAT YOU SAB VE THE RECEIPT, otherwise you will not be able to return it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:05 AM »
I read this post this morning and was not going to comment cause I have no knowledge of the device, the last response prompted me to say that after reading the reviews I couldn’t see if folks were shooting through the ice either. You probably know this but if not you can carry a bottle of lightly salted water you can pour a little on the ice and your Vex will shoot though the ice just fine.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2019, 05:04 PM »
A guy on my local FB fishing group said it does shoot through ice. Still don't think it's enough for me to buy one
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Tried a similar unit years ago that was in a similar price range and it was total junk.
To be honest if it were me I would save my money and not buy this.
If you already own a vexilar like I do why bother buying a cheap and questionable piece of equipment?
Sure it's only 40 bucks but there's a lot of other ways to spend that money that will get you further ahead.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Makes me say HMMMMMM.... too. I don't own a flasher or anything else so for 40 bucks and having a HF locally I may give it a try this year just to have something to tell me depth. Seems like most of the bad reviews were from a few years back so it may be workable?
I will report with my findings if we give it a try.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2019, 06:19 PM »
$40? Never pay full price for anything at HF. Should be $32 with the 20% off coupons that are more than readily available.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2019, 06:47 PM »
I had one to use for soft water season here, save your money, it didn't last but a few days, when shopping H.F., some things are decent, some are not, this is not
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Good to know, even with the price and discounts I'll stay true to my cheap Armenian heritage and take a pass then.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2019, 07:14 PM »
I don’t have this particular one but instead picked something up like it off of Amazon for $40. About the size of an older Nokia “brick” phone and can be hung around my neck. It comes in quite handy when scouting. I can grab my auger, punch a few holes and fire this thing up just to check depths and bottom hardness. No need to carry a bigger flasher when on a scouting excursion. It does the job in a light weight, very portable manner. I don’t fish with it at all, that’s what the higher end unit is for. This is exclusively a scouting tool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.