Author Topic: Preliminary Review: 13 Fishing Whiteout Ice Rod Spinning Combo  (Read 2170 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Preliminary Review of 13 Fishing Whiteout Ice Rod Spinning Combo ML 27.5" and Wicked Ice ML 26" rod

A few unique things about the rod is the Evolve Blackjack Reel Seat and Evolve Solo Guides.  The real seat is okay okay for a tradition hand grip but it is perfectly suited for a trigger style or pencil grip hand position.  The Wicked Ice excels over the Whiteout on the traditional hand grip with it's white colored Evolve reel seat.  The ML Wicked has me somewhat concerned about the top grip connection to the rod blank.  They put a metal cap there, probably aluminum however there are signs of wear from the metal cap on contact with the rod blank.  That spot has epoxy and line threading onto the hook keeper, but there are small burly graphite or carbon fibers from what abrasion occured during the build process.

The Whiteout ML rod did measure to 27.5" in length while the Wicked measured to 26.5" in length.  Both rods have four line guides plus tip guide.

The line guides are single foot on the Whiteout.  There were several in store models with really poorly line wrapping.  Lots of crisscrossing patterns and I had to spend time to find one with all straight lined up line wrapping.  Which also reduce the epoxy coating appearance when compared to one of poorly line wrapping finish.  The line guides appears to be very well polished stainless steel.  Due to the small footing and distance of rings from the rod blank, this rod totally rocks the pulsating effect to the max.  If swapping out for an inline reel or a fly reel, this rod will perform superbly.  The Wicked has ceramic ring inserts and I like those better.

The rod load flex of the Whiteout nearly matches the Wicked from a visual appearance.  The Whiteout does feel to be more forgiving compared to the Wicked Ice in ML power.  I feel that the Wicked Ice ML power is closer to a M power.  Both rods also show a good spline check with line guides positioning.

The spinning reel at least appears to be of decent quality in just free cranking.  However when you get to the line roller, it's basically nothing more than just a round ring that doesn't spin.  A reel sporting seven ball bearings and not even a nylon bushing in the line roller to help after I inspected the line roller.  I had originally planned on loading some line onto it, but I will just remove the spinning reel as I have a spare reel available.

While I plan on testing the Whiteout rod out, it's not going to be priority on my list.  I see myself leaning more so to put my fly reel on this rod than anything else, but I would rather utilize an UL power for that purpose.  For myself the Wicked will see more use.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
Field Test Review: 13 Fishing Whiteout Ice Rod Spinning Combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Field Test run

The temperature was -2 F to 0 F. The 13 Whiteout Ice Rod spinning combo 27.5" ML rod performed well.  The reel had some lagging performance in the cold.  It had the feel of grease gelling up.  In addition since the line roller doesn't work like it's supposed to, I experienced further resistance.  I have Pline Floroclear 4#  spooled and several times the line wrapped around the tip while jigging.  The handle design worked well for both traditional hand grip and pencil/pistol trigger grip.  My hands were not losing heat conduction working with this.

In comparison with the 13 Wicked Ice Rod UL 27.5" also with Pline Floroclear 4# on a Stradic 1000 reel, not once did the line wrapped up the tip.  The handle on the Wicked did feel slightly more cold. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
Follow up Review: 13 Fishing Whiteout Ice Rod Spinning Combo
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 11:19 PM »
Follow up review

The Whiteout Rod itself isn't too bad however there are a lot of annoying shortcomings that comes from this combo.  The reel is lousy with that nonfunctional line roller.  If I were to had fished the combo as is, I would probably retire it after one outing.

The single foot line guides are a hook for many other things.  It's like this rod combo likes to get tangled among other things, especially with any other rod it's next to.

As of now...it's in the retired, do not use, pile for future spare parts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.