Author Topic: Sharpening jigs and guides  (Read 606 times)

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharpening jigs and guides
« on: Aug 09, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Anybody make a jig or guide for sharpening their auger blades? I do pretty good with jiffy blades just by hand, but it would be nice to set up a jig and  do them a little easier. I just got a nils hand auger off ebay and was wondering if any of you could share some insight on sharpening those too. I cant wait to try it out this winter..

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sharpening jigs and guides
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:42 PM »
My advice for nils blades: contact a professional that knows how to do it. You don’t want to ruin an $80 nils head just to have to pay someone to sharpen it anyways. There is a member here (SharpNils) that last I knew sharpened nils heads. I’d contact him and see what he has to say about it. His name is Frank.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2018, 02:11 PM »
 X2 ,nils has a list of aproved sharpeners

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I'd say it depends on what you're sharpening. I used to do my old style Mora blades on a Lansky jig with good results. The newer curved style blades (Lazer etc.) are another animal. It's probably doable but there's certainly a learning curve that involves messed up blades at some point. At least until you get the procedure and tools dialed in. FWIW, Mr. DeLuca comes highly recommended.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.