Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 2015-16 Year-End Review  (Read 3081 times)

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
2015-16 Year-End Review
« on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I hate to say it but ice is fading fast in Central and Southern Iowa.  It was the shortest season in a long time...however heading to North Iowa will extend our year into March hopefully.  It's not over...but the "fat lady" is standing up and ready to sing.

Let's look back at our favorite time on the ice this year and tell us all why it was a great time!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2015-16 Year-End Review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:25 PM »

Let's look back at our favorite time on the ice this year and tell us all why it was a great time!

Because it wasn't even shorter.  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:13 PM »
This year wasn't that great. Lots of little fish. A few decent fish, but nothing huge. Its not over yet though. I have a couple spots in mind for this weekend and hopefully next week if the lows get low enough.

14.75" crappie. Couldn't break the 15" mark this year

30" pike

34" 11lb 1 oz pike

Little 3lb bass. I caught 3 that day, 18.5" 3#, 20" 4# and 21" 4.5#. Didn't get pics of the bigger ones

Thats pretty much all I have to show for 25 days on the ice. Lots of numbers, but SMALL fish this year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline forecy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2016, 05:32 PM »
What river is that?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2016, 05:33 PM »
some great fish congrats

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2016, 05:57 PM »
My season was short, small, few and nothing to write home to mother about.  Best was day before yesterday on a new lake with 15 really nice blue gills.  Would of went today but with 50 mph winds and snow melting putting the creeks bank high I'm afraid this is the end.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Some great pics you have there!!!  Congrats!

Mine would have to be fishing the Yellow Bass Bonanza at Clear Lake.  It is a fun day to try and catch 50 yellows and be back for weigh-in with only 4 hours to fish.  It's a challenge and each year most do not accomplish it.  This derby is fun and I get to see many ice anglers that I never would actually "talk" to, so that is neat.  We go our limit again this year and placed in the top 15...two years out of two...I hope I can make the event next year too!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Ill let you now in 3 weeks when ice fishing is getting closer to done!!  Should easily be on the ice for 2 weeks easy wouldn't suprise me if its 3.5 weeks still.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Im good for the next 15 days. Was on 12" of hard clear yesterday.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:46 PM »
I would post pics, but I am not advanced enough in tech to figure out photobucket! Lol. Limited out on 10-13"  crappies one day! Other than that, been trying to teach my son how to fish! Haven't used my Flx28 since I showed him how to use it!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:16 PM »
That's a lot better for them than video games, IMO!  I'd pay $700 for a fish finder over the same for a Play Station any day of the week (I have no clue what a game system costs anymore).  $50 for a pole over games too!  As long as I can keep mine interested in fishing instead of that stuff I'll do what it takes.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Thanks! I will try to remember that when I buy another one next year! Lol. Now me and him are getting the boat ready!!! His first walleye is getting mounted next to my monster... No matter what size it is!!!

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:54 PM »
My high of the year was tip ups, caught my first musky @ 37.5 not huge but a start.  After showing my buddy down here pictures his motor got turning and away he went with his wife and 2 boys and my tip ups. He got me beat with a 43"×19.5".  He went up one more time and lost 2 others.  Like always wish it was a longer season but it's time working on everything I've put off the last couple months

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Although the season was short I made the best of it! Met up with a ton of people this year on the ice, made it a goal to fish alongside or meet one fisherman per trip. Highlights had to be either fishing with Eric and Dustin for yellows and the laughs laughs that day, finishing in top 15 at YBB, or helping a father/young daughter get on fish and seeing them the next day in the same spot because the daughter had such a blast the previous day.  Although the seasons not over yet! At least not up here...We still may have a few more weeks of fishing up at Clear!

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Looks like everyone is done? No activity for awhile. Lost Island was still capped on the south end, didn't drive around the lake. People fishing off/near big stoney, must have been using west ramp.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:29 PM »
I would post pics, but I am not advanced enough in tech to figure out photobucket! Lol. Limited out on 10-13"  crappies one day! Other than that, been trying to teach my son how to fish! Haven't used my Flx28 since I showed him how to use it!

If you have a Photobucket account (free) then upload pics to a new Library,  name it the year or fish or whatever  Once your pics are uploaded to a library click on a pic.   On one side you'll see a table of data.  Click on IMG, it will say "Copied"   Paste this long string of file location  into a message.   This will pull the picture from Photobucket each and everything somebody looks at your post.  It will always refer back to your pic wherever you have it stored on Photobucket.    If you delete it from photobucket or move it to a different location within Photobucket it will delete from your posts.   That blank generic photobucket message will appear.  That's aggravating.  Once you post a pic leave it in its original location on Photobucket.

Most forums operate this way so they don't have to store all the pics on their servers.  Photobucket has apps so you can quickly put pics on their site from your phone.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:30 AM »
Kevin23, what a baby face. You should have to change your name to Kevin15. I thought my season was over but the weather folks were way off this week so I have 2 more days this week. I even told my wife  I was done but Divine intervention has corrected that.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Thats me! 25 looks like 12
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Just wondering how the ice fishing is around the Quad Cities?  Still have a few more days left predicted by someone. Hard to believe ice fishing could still be going on in that area by the looks of Big Creek in central Iowa.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I believe I am done. Its been a great season. Made it out a lot. Got out more in January but my job got busier in Feb so could not get off work as easy. Caught lots of fish of several species on different lakes. No muskies which is great. I don't believe I lost a single jig to a pike, that's awesome too.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:33 AM »
May give a review later, after the year is done.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Last ice was last tues with 8" but impossible to get on. All lakes have been open for 2 weeks almost.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:05 PM »
I am relieved that its over. I get pretty exhausted during ice season. Now I can rest. And plan an antelope hunt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.