Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 1st time ice fisherman.  (Read 891 times)

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
1st time ice fisherman.
« on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Hello all,
Planning on heading out to Lake Macbride or Kent Park Lake this weekend.
I'm fairly new to this site but I've been all over your topics looking for tips/tricks/suggestions so that I'm not a complete bust once I'm out in the frigid.

I've been looking at the Novionics maps on places to fish on these waters but I still feel like there are obvious things I am missing such as: ice safety - guessing I'll drill holes on my way out to check ice thickness. At what thickness is a "good thickness" and at what point should I be worried?

As far as the fishing goes, I figured I'd just learn as I go so any help would be much appreciated. I'm not out to catch any certain species of fish (Pan fish preferred), just wanting to catch anything I can pull up and have some fun. Looking to do some jigging with wax worms. I've got some tungstens for deeper water and some shallow water jigs. Using both a heavy and light action rod with detachable spring boppers depending on my needs.

Any advice you can give would be helpful. I've always been a believer that "You don't know until you ask."

-Joe
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 1st time ice fisherman.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:25 PM »
As for safe ice I HIGHLY RECOMMEND on making sure it is AT LEAST 4 inches, that is the general rule of thumb.  Some people will go out on less but I'm not one of them, thicker is better.  As for some lure suggestions for pan fish , you can try some Marmooskas (I like size 10 the best), forage minnows (I had good luck with the glow chub color), sweedish pimples (small ones), and hali jigs (the Sukkula model in  25mm - 3/16 ounce in yellow/red glow perch color - the color code is AFYR) and tip all of these jigs with a wax worm or two.  I have good luck with each and every one of these jigs.  Good luck to you.

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Joe,
I'm sure you will get plenty advice and tips on this forum, there are a lot of good people with good advice on here.  Ice safety is your first priority as you already mentioned.  My biggest tip would be to get a quality flasher. Get something that is within your budget and learn everything you can about it, watch YouTube videos about it, watch people use them on the ice, experiment with it until it becomes second nature and you are confident in what you are doing with it.  This will make a tremendous difference with your "luck" on the ice. 

As far as the tips, techniques, lures, bait, rods, reels, line, depth, presentation, time of day and everything else that goes into catching fish on the ice....well that's the fun of it, there is never one perfect answer for all of it.  That's fishing. you have to put in the time when you can and learn as you go.

I would suggest finding a fishing buddy who has experience ice fishing. You will learn a lot just going out together.  When you aren't out fishing I would suggest spending time on YouTube, fishing magazines, Dvds or something of that nature, there Is a lot of info out there.

I'm sure if you have specific questions on any topic related to ice fishing somebody on here will point you the right direction.  Welcome to the site and good luck on the ice!

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Joe

Welcome to the best sport in the world, right above wrestling.  be ready to be addicted.  Like others have said safety is first.  Also said earlier 4 inches or more, if your on a lake with a river running in it be aware of thinner ice where there is current.  Also some of the safety items i carry are ice picks to get out  (or 16 penny nails), a whistle, and a rope.  I don't leave home without these.  As for fishing I believe in small jigs and light line.  I don't go higher that 2 lb test, and I love small moon glows.  tip with wax worm, spikes, or gulp bait I love the stuff.  Also have a good sharp auger it will make your trip go so much better.  That should be a good start.  Good luck and have fun!  Might see ya on the hard water.   ;D

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Really excited to get out this weekend. My Nils 8" showed up from UPS this afternoon. Might go to Sand Lake tomorrow just to drill some holes and check the thickness. Need to go pick up some ice picks and some rope to be safe. The Cedar River locked up overnight too, so might look at some of the coves between Iowa City and the Reservoir.

Good luck if your going out this weekend.

Thanks again!

-Joe
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:34 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty! 

Even though you are new to ice fishing, the most valuable investment you can make to find and catch fish is a Vexlar FL-8 or simular flasher.  It takes all the guess work out of finding fish, structure, depth etc.  With ice fishing, you have to be where the fish are.  You can squirt some salt water on the ice with a water bottle and flash strait through the ice without drilling a hole to locate fish, depth, etc.  Once fishing, you can tell exactly where the fish are to the inch and where your jig is and how they react to different presentations.  check for video's on youtube on using a flasher for ice fishing.  A must have in my opinion.   ;) 
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:17 AM »
 @)I fished McBride a lot last year. Find structure. don't expect to catch very many good gills average size is not great but still fun. I live in north Liberty. I am also going out this Saturday. Maybe we can get together and I can help you out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.