The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Missisquoi, Hog Island, Dillenbeck bay, Maquam ice?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi all, my friend and me have our annual trip up to lake Champlain for the week this year starting on the 17th of February. Just hoping as always if people who go out to any of these locations could give what the current ice thickness are/were. Mostly clear/white ice. We do catch and release, I enjoy taking pictures of the monsters and if necessary measurements for replica mounts :-). Been watching the weather the last month and reading all the posts but would love fresh updates from this weekend so we can go out more safely. We used to be the guys with the 1970 Olympic and 1971 elan skidoos, still have those but have upgraded to Tundra lt now. Best was when we were checked by the game wardens always said, "awful brave riding these old sleds out here....."Gotta say they never let us down on Champlain  though. I know this year we will have less options for where we can fish safely but we are still determined to go out and have a good time, even if we must resort to walking.
Thanks all for helping out with some conditions, I love reading the Vermont message boards :-).
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Missisquoi, Hog Island, Dillenbeck bay, Maquam ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:34 AM »
I took a 8 hr round trip yesterday to check ice.  All I can say is most of the reports were stale, aka the ice changed rapudly from the morning to the evening.  If you care about your personal health and safety you need to check yourself.  The conditions are changing rapidly. 

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2023, 04:47 PM »
Have you checked the weather forecast?

Bring a spud, find some good ice and don't expect conditions on the 17th to anything like todays!

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:10 PM »
X2, all last week it was changing daily and will be lucky if some of those areas that had ice don’t open back up. You’ll know when you get there and check to be safe

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:30 AM »
I’m afraid things aren’t looking good.  It seems like the season is over before it even started.  Forecast calls for temps in the 50’s for the 16th and 17th.  I doubt there will be any safe ice by then anyway.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2023, 07:19 AM »
We defiantly will check as we go out, but checking for myself isn't possible until I get out there...... but it is good to know how much is left when we arrive vs the thickness over the weekend. I'm assuming it will be a lot of walking over water we can stand in this year. But fishing is better then no fishing.
Stay safe all, and anyone who does go out, love to hear how the ice is before this weeks thaw.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:53 PM »
Might consider Magog or the NE Kingdom as there is better ice up in that area.

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Be safe and walk. Second tragedy this week on Champlain

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2023, 07:06 AM »
Thanks all for the replies, canceled our trip, heading up to northern Maine instead where ice is still safe. Least I hope it will be, if not scouting for shed moose antlers will have to suffice.
Hopefully next year is more of a real winter, this constant thaw is for the birds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.