The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Wigglers  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Wigglers
« on: Sep 29, 2021, 06:02 AM »
So...last season I found it very difficult to find any bait shops here in the SW part of the state that had any of these "Perch pounding" baits. Rumor had it that it was due to the fact that no one was digging for them...and I'm not going to either. Lol. Anyway,  any intel on who was able to find them and where? I'm making an irrigation/aerator system that will allow me to keep them alive for quite a while...if I can get enough of them. Fyi...I don't like or use the preserved variety. I will be calling around myself in the next couple of weeks in my area and see if there is news on availability and I will report back. Just looking to get a jump on things. TIA.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wigglers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2021, 07:37 AM »
Always wanted to use them in winter, but can never find them in WI either.

Have you or anyone else tried to keep them alive in a tank long term?
Da Pack!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Knutson's in Brooklyn had them last year.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2021, 08:07 AM »
Knutson's in Brooklyn had them last year.

Hoping to find them a bit closer. If not, I may make that 2 hour trip.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2021, 08:18 AM »
Always wanted to use them in winter, but can never find them in WI either.

Have you or anyone else tried to keep them alive in a tank long term?

Well they are fussy. Biggest thing is fresh water. But they don't like to be submerged in it. I have a small cooler and aerator I plan to use ( will fit nicely in the fridge). I'm also building a frame out of PVC and attaching a piece of fine mesh screen to the bottom of it. Should float and allow just enough water through to "moisten" them...not drowning them. That's the plan. 🤷‍♂️

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2021, 03:22 PM »
I use to keep them all winter when I lived in SW Mich. I made a tray about 3 foot long and made it so it would be about 2 inches deep with a sump at the lower end. In this tray I built a screen basket about 1 foot tall. I used a small pump to move the water at all time in this tray. The pump was just a real small one like maybe used in fish tanks. They survived very well in this. I got my wigglers along the lake shore at the bait shops there. They also worked for the big gills on some of the lakes in the Allegan area. The bait shops in Houghton Lake usually has them
` Thing I learned is  they must be where it is cold ot real cool and you have to pick any dead ones out every day or the rest will die. Add a little fresh water once a week. They can be dug during the winter but it may be illegal now. One of the bait shops that use to be in Allegan dug them out of a lake in the area in the marl bot tom thru the ice

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2021, 08:43 AM »
The closest places I find them are shoreline tackle on lakeshore drive in Muskegon and Snug harbor outfitters on the north side of Muskegon lake.  More people use them around there and they make an effort to have them.  I know they have been way down in supply due to the lack of guys harvesting them.  Once in a great while brenners will have them but its a very limited supply.  I would call them before making the drive.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Well they are fussy. Biggest thing is fresh water. But they don't like to be submerged in it.

Wigglers natural habitat is in the "mud" of lakes and streams. They are always under water. Not quite understanding your comment of they don't like to be submerged. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Wigglers natural habitat is in the "mud" of lakes and streams. They are always under water. Not quite understanding your comment of they don't like to be submerged.

Correct...in the mud. They are not completely/totally in the water. My understanding is they prefer to keep their head out of the water. If in total water, they'll swim themselves to death to keep their head out of it. Notice at baitshops they usually keep them on a screen suspended over water. Just enough to get them wet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.