The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moore Reservoir walleye??  (Read 15489 times)

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
Re: Moore Reservoir walleye??
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Yeah, I think we oughta just let it be. Shouldn't keep dumping new species into new waters because they can spread. I don't see the fact that the trout population has tanked as being a good rationale here.
look at Fairfield pond all the walleye there came from carmi and I doubt the gills were originally there also
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:05 PM »
So I guess the discussion was 100% in favor of stocking walleyes in Moore!  ;D
Ok! want you to go back over all the posts and count the 2 or 3  anti walleye members and the many pro walleye members ;D
Then we should end and let the rookie take come up with a better post? ::)
Dick

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2017, 04:53 PM »
DB,  97% in favor !  ;D

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:07 PM »
look at Fairfield pond all the walleye there came from carmi and I doubt the gills were originally there also

False.  Champlain walleye.  But that's irrelevant,  those walleye don't have much fight in them.   ::)

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:08 PM »
;D  Well you and I are 100% in favor.
Dick
Agree X 2!!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:46 AM »
DB,  97% in favor !  ;D

Wow!  97% plus pokholes ;D     Wish we had all pressured our biologists last year ::)
Dick

Offline Shawndale1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I live in central Vermont and I have little faith in the hunting and fisheries biologists in this State. I think they are afraid to make any decisions that might piss off the Bernie lovers so they do as little as possible to " keep the peace"  I used to be a amateur bass tournament angler and I have spent many hours on Moore practicing and fishing bass tournaments. I can tell you from experience that there's a lot of pike in there and they are huge. Some of the biggest I've seen. It's my opinion that if it has become that type of fishery the remaining trout are doomed. The really big ones may survive but instead of a poor trout fishery why not develop a GREAT walleye fishery? Both Vermont and New Hampshire have some great trout fisheries. Champlain and Winnie are examples of that and there are many more. Why not create some more Walkeye fisheries in both states? I can think of a dozen lakes/ ponds in central Vermont that has a over population of stunted perch that would make great fisheries for walleye. Now, some of you guys might be thinking that since I used to bass fish I'm a warm water guy. My last boat was fully rigged with down riggers and it was built specifically for trout and salmon so I promise you I'm not bias, I'm just a realist. Let's keep the great trout waters for the trout and let's make some of the poor cool waters great walleye waters. I bought my deer hunting camp in NH because of my lack of confidence in Vermonts wildlife management. Let's not let NH's good wildlife management personnel be tainted by the Bernie lovers over here.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:44 AM »
 ??? ::)  Sometimes I have my doubts about NHF&G too.  They stocked trout in Moore twice last spring??
Possibly to satisfy Trout Unlimited?
Dick

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 06, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Can we leave the political ideology out of it?  Facebook is full of that garbage.  Let's talk fish here.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #69 on: Feb 06, 2017, 01:14 PM »
You guys see the news article with that giant pike from Moore? Big ole pike. 20lbs.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2017, 01:48 PM »
You guys see the news article with that giant pike from Moore? Big ole pike. 20lbs.

Where was that article published?
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Can we leave the political ideology out of it?  Facebook is full of that garbage.  Let's talk fish here.

What politics are you talking ab out??
Dick

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I know one Littleton resident who fishes frequently on Moore . This winter he has caught and released 6 pike over 40 inches, pike this size love trout for a snack !  :)

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 07, 2017, 06:18 AM »
I know one Littleton resident who fishes frequently on Moore . This winter he has caught and released 6 pike over 40 inches, pike this size love trout for a snack !  :)

and tax payer funded stocked walleye ;)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:01 AM »
 ::) Tax payers fund trout stocking too.   The big hope for walleye was that might be self sustaining as are the now dominant pike?
Dick

Offline Rod Bender 101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Was watching the news last night and showed this guy and child with a 40 inch pike that weighted 20 pounds.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:53 AM »
 ??? ::)  Seems that 20 lb pike are pretty common at Moore.  Luckily there are more caught through ice.  The mature pike tend to disappear into Moore's deep water once the open water warms?   I kind of wish they had never been put there but it sure will make a super fishery if walleye would be added?
Dick

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:28 PM »
There are many, many lakes in both in the Northern US and Canada where Northern Pike and Walleye successfully co-exist -- given the proper stocking strategies and time to develop, Moore Dam Reservoir could certainly be added to that list of fisheries...!!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:32 PM »
There are many, many lakes in both in the Northern US and Canada where Northern Pike and Walleye successfully co-exist -- given the proper stocking strategies and time to develop, Moore Dam Reservoir could certainly be added to that list of fisheries...!!

Hess,  I wish I new you were nearby last year?   I wish we could get Vt. and NH to reconsider what I thought of as a terrible decision?
Dick

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 07, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Dick, I am a busy guy with my business, but if there are future meetings organized to reconsider this decision, I would be happy to participate -- just let me know...!  As I have said before, with the Conn. River feeding Moore, the larger size of it and the type of habitat that the reservoir offers, I think it would be a 'natural site' for walleyes with good reproduction prospects...!  As this Ice Shanty posting has indicated, based on the VT/NH ice fishing community's response, there would appear to be overwhelming support for walleye in Moore...!  At the end of the day, regardless of whether the biologists like it or not, the Moore Reservoir itself, is and has been primarily a bass/pike fishery for quite a few years now (not any type of primary trout fishery)...!!

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 07, 2017, 03:47 PM »

In the fall I catch walleyes, pike and pickerel on alternate casts in the same locations on Champlain, you can add in the occasional lake trout and salmon. In the spring, trolling and casting along the rocks the same thing happens.

May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:43 PM »
and tax payer funded stocked walleye ;)

The stocking of fish is done from NH Fish and Game money generated mostly from license fees . The state of NH gives NO money to fund our stocking program. Vt. is probably different so it will be your tax money well spent !  ;D

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Dick, I am a busy guy with my business, but if there are future meetings organized to reconsider this decision, I would be happy to participate -- just let me know...!  As I have said before, with the Conn. River feeding Moore, the larger size of it and the type of habitat that the reservoir offers, I think it would be a 'natural site' for walleyes with good reproduction prospects...!  As this Ice Shanty posting has indicated, based on the VT/NH ice fishing community's response, there would appear to be overwhelming support for walleye in Moore...!  At the end of the day, regardless of whether the biologists like it or not, the Moore Reservoir itself, is and has been primarily a bass/pike fishery for quite a few years now (not any type of primary trout fishery)...!!
Hess,  Keep me up to date and I will be happy cooperate!
Dick

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:11 AM »
The stocking of fish is done from NH Fish and Game money generated mostly from license fees . The state of NH gives NO money to fund our stocking program. Vt. is probably different so it will be your tax money well spent !  ;D

Your probably right.  Probably the majority of the funding is through license sales.  So might as well just raise license fees more so then they already have recently!  Combination license has gone up $10+ in the last few years.  Seems like a lot for an average fishery, and below average hunting.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Your probably right.  Probably the majority of the funding is through license sales.  So might as well just raise license fees more so then they already have recently!  Combination license has gone up $10+ in the last few years.  Seems like a lot for an average fishery, and below average hunting.
It would be a better fishery with more walleyes !  ;D

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:38 AM »
 ??? ::)  Cost wise Moore Reservoir walleye would have been a super deal!  Both states would share the cost and both NH and Vt. fishermen would share fish ;D

But discussing it is a hot potato with both Vt. and NH biologists.  I won't live long enough to see it BUT maybe with some continued pressure both state's biologist might reconsider.   Maybe a web site like the lamprey eels petitions?
Dick

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:39 PM »
My question for the state would be: do walleye directly compete with pike? If they do, my next question would be: would adding walleye cause a jump in total population of walleye and pike together? I would think not, or at least not by much. There would have to be some equilibrium as they prey on similar fish, and there is only so much fish available to prey on. With no walleye added, the population of pike will increase until it hits a ceiling where there is too much competition for food to increase in population. If walleye are added, the population of pike may never be able to hit that ceiling, and the pike population could likely decrease until some sort of equilibrium is reached with the populations of the two species. That being said, which species is likely to prey on trout more: walleye or pike? If pike prey on trout more than walleye do, then I would think trout fisherman would want walleye introduced to keep the pike population down and therefore increase the population of trout. I understand that there is a very dynamic relationship between all species in a body of water, but maybe these questions and more should be asked. I am not claiming to be and expert on fish, I'm just curious.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:30 AM »
My question for the state would be: do walleye directly compete with pike? If they do, my next question would be: would adding walleye cause a jump in total population of walleye and pike together? I would think not, or at least not by much. There would have to be some equilibrium as they prey on similar fish, and there is only so much fish available to prey on. With no walleye added, the population of pike will increase until it hits a ceiling where there is too much competition for food to increase in population. If walleye are added, the population of pike may never be able to hit that ceiling, and the pike population could likely decrease until some sort of equilibrium is reached with the populations of the two species. That being said, which species is likely to prey on trout more: walleye or pike? If pike prey on trout more than walleye do, then I would think trout fisherman would want walleye introduced to keep the pike population down and therefore increase the population of trout. I understand that there is a very dynamic relationship between all species in a body of water, but maybe these questions and more should be asked. I am not claiming to be and expert on fish, I'm just curious.

It has always been my suspicion that pike prey more on trout than walleye do, simply due to the habits of the two. Pike feed throughout the depth spectrum on pretty much anything that moves their way while walleye are more lazy, lying on the bottom much of the time and then suspending among schooled forage-fish at night.

Fishing for them most of my life, it's always seemed like pike would interact with trout more than walleye do. In the fall, however, we catch both walleye and the occasional trout while casting for pike in the shallows of Champlain, so they all do cross paths at certain times of year.

Randy

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:42 AM »
 ???  My experience in Canada indicates that pike love to eat walleye?   Moore reservoir pike eat primarily yellow perch and there are a kazillion of them?
Dick

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:51 AM »
???  My experience in Canada indicates that pike love to eat walleye?   Moore reservoir pike eat primarily yellow perch and there are a kazillion of them?
Dick

I've found bullheads stuck by the spines in pike bellies before, so I think pike will eat pretty much anything that moves past them when they're in the mood. They definitely do eat a lot of perch.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.