Author Topic: What Knife......  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
What Knife......
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:56 AM »
I need a new fillet knife, the one I have now just doesn't cut it anymore. It's a Cutco and it doesn't hold an edge for nothin.  :-\ Are the electric ones worth the money?

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
Re: What Knife......
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:58 AM »
rapala brand with wood handle stays sharp good flex I use 6 inch models forpan fish and walleyes. 7 or 9 inch for pike

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:11 AM »
thanks buddy, always saw them but was unaware of the quality.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Its tough to beat a rapala knife. Also I do not use them but the electric knifes that make are good too. I have heard great reports from them.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Take a look at the Leech Lake knives. They are pricey but as well as being the  best filet knife I have ever used, they are a work of art. If they ever need sharpening you can send it back and they do it for nothing. I have cleaned hundreds of fish with mine and I could still shave with it.
Pete Lewis

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Have never used rapala brand but have heard nothing but great things about them.

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:20 AM »
I had to buy a second one after catching my wife using it as a slicing knife in the kitchen.  She liked it so much she would not give it back

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:45 AM »
I agree I have 2 rapala knifes, the wooden handle knife that I keep in the kitchen and one with a rubber handle and some type of coated blade that I take with me all the time. I also have a battery power knife by rapala that was a gift and it works great and you can clean a mess of perch in a hurry. I hope to use it on some cusk this weekend. With the battery powered one you just need to pay attention to what you are doing. I've cut through the backbone many times when I get hurrying and you can screw up you fillets.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:47 AM »
i have a mister twister electric. it works like a champ!! i'm not good with a filet knife, so it's a lot of help.  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2008, 05:27 PM »
send the cutco knife back and they will sharpen it or replace it if they cant sharpen it. my neighbor had one that was 15 years old and we sent it back with mine and they replaced the blade. mine was used to butcher a moose and it wasnt even remotely dull, just sendin it back for a tune up

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2008, 05:34 PM »
cutco is really sharp but nothin like the rapala electric- i wont clean fish without the electric knives now
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:41 PM »
send the cutco knife back and they will sharpen it or replace it if they cant sharpen it. my neighbor had one that was 15 years old and we sent it back with mine and they replaced the blade. mine was used to butcher a moose and it wasnt even remotely dull, just sendin it back for a tune up

Good call on that, probably wait til ice melts then send it in. thanks

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2008, 07:46 PM »
no problem man, they are sweet knives but none are perfect, when i got mine for the first while until the moose it was perfect tho

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.