Author Topic: Rod case suggestions...  (Read 3124 times)

Offline FrozenTRD

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod case suggestions...
« on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I'm looking for a new rod case. I leave my rods rigged up with a lure for quick access and swap outs. I frequently have a hook(s) get caught on the nylon interior of the case which creates a struggle and frustration...which is why I want something different. I do not have any sporting goods stores within a few hours to check things out...so I need to order online. I'd like the case to carry at least 4 rods, ideally 6.
Any suggestions for what you like?
Thanks.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod case suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:46 PM »
I really like my Otter rod case. They sure have gone up in price over the last few years though. I can only store 4-5 rods in it though. I don’t think it’ll do 6. It will, but you’ll have to stack the blanks over eachother and I don’t want to break any rods. I had a clam case before. It was not a hard sided one and eventually I broke a rod because of it. I highly recommend a hard sided case of some sort over a soft sided one. Especially if you have custom rods.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 11:46 PM »
The Eagle Claw ice rod case is very versatile and roomy.  It's kind of light duty and spacious.  Designed well for 6 fully rigged spinning reel combos.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2020, 02:56 AM »
X2 on the Eagle Claw!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:51 AM »
Better have a big sled because the eagle claw case is big and bulky.it doesnt fit in my clam scout xl or shappell fx100.i only use it for summer storage because of its size.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2020, 05:47 AM »
I prefer my eagle claw ice rod case. Just saw Amazon has them for $86. About $40 more than I paid for mine. Saw flambeau is making one almost identical for $46.

I also have the striker ice rod case. Super nice, but is 2x as bulky as the eagle claw.

My other is a $40 flat, hard sided flambeau gun case. Good for 3, maybe 4 rods.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2020, 06:25 AM »
I have the flambeau bunk box, I carry 4 rods in it but it will take 6.  There is room at both ends for storage.  I have 3-4 lure boxes on one end and spare gloves/hat, flashlight, snacks etc. on the other end. 

It is bulky but fits perfectly behind the seat in my frabill flip over sled. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2020, 07:43 AM »
I have the flambeau bunk box, I carry 4 rods in it but it will take 6.  There is room at both ends for storage.  I have 3-4 lure boxes on one end and spare gloves/hat, flashlight, snacks etc. on the other end. 

It is bulky but fits perfectly behind the seat in my frabill flip over sled. 
The Eagle Claw ice rod case is very versatile and roomy.  It's kind of light duty and spacious.  Designed well for 6 fully rigged spinning reel combos.

I have both of the above cases ..yes a little bulky but fit in my two man just fine .. I also have the Striker Ice Transporter bag ..this comes out with me each outing . Holds 5 rods ..and has replaced a nap sack as the center storage of the Transporter bag holds ..ALL my extra gear ..5" UW camera ..Lg plastics pouch.. extra LS thermal ..Hooddie..gloves ..various hats . Its amazing how much stuff fits in there.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:04 AM »
I use the Scheels hard side ice rod case, definitely big and bulky but it holds all my rods and tackle that i need for jigging in one unit. I haven't looked at it since last season but I'm pretty sure I have 8 rods and 5 plastic tackle boxes in it...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I have two of the Otter Sportsman cases for my rods.  I ended up getting a few 36" rods that I use for Walleye and didn't want these to get damaged.  Use these mainly for storage or if I go on a long ride out.  Protection of the rods is mainly why I use these cases.  If I am going panfishing on a short trip, I select the rods I want and then put them in a soft case.  Each case has its plus/minus.  One offers best protection, one is short and manageable. 

Also depends on how much room I want to use inside the house.  Its easy to put the rod case outside if needed. 

I started with the soft cases as these were cost effective, but as time goes on and my rods get better, I want to keep them from breaking I ended up going to the hard side cases. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:37 AM »
tidy cat bucket

Catchin' Fish

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:32 AM »
I like the single rod tubes, I just grab what I need. My Lake Trout rod tubes have tackle pockets on them, pretty much holds everything I need for Lakers. I like the HT Polar Rod Guard Tubes also, I keep the lure near the tip of the rod, no tangles or snags and ready to go.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I like the single rod tubes, I just grab what I need. My Lake Trout rod tubes have tackle pockets on them, pretty much holds everything I need for Lakers. I like the HT Polar Rod Guard Tubes also, I keep the lure near the tip of the rod, no tangles or snags and ready to go.
(Image removed from quote.)

How much do those single rod cases run? With the size and cost of hard cases these days, individual cases are probably worth it.
Da Pack!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:11 PM »
How much do those single rod cases run? With the size and cost of hard cases these days, individual cases are probably worth it.

$20
https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/product-page/38-deluxe-tube-ice-rod-case

I used to have one I picked up at gander mtn in the bargan bin for $10. It's perfect for one or two rods

$30 for the rapala double tube
https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/rapala-double-barrel-40-ice-rod-bag-022677228617?product=022677228617

Catchin' Fish

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:30 PM »

The gray cases I bought years ago at Gander Mountain, they were pretty cheap, I wish I had bought more. The Laker rod tube I pick up at Thornes Bros. years ago also, probably not real cheap but it has two pockets for tackle. HT rod tubes are about $5 each now, I bought mine in a bulk offer, cheaper.

I just don't care fore the hard cases for the ice, too bulky.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:00 PM »
$20
https://www.trophyoutdoorproducts.com/product-page/38-deluxe-tube-ice-rod-case

I used to have one I picked up at gander mtn in the bargan bin for $10. It's perfect for one or two rods

Does the Trophy Angler have a divider down the middle to keep the rods separate?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Does the Trophy Angler have a divider down the middle to keep the rods separate?

If you go to the link there is an interior picture of the case on the site ..short answer NO.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:41 AM »
If you go to the link there is an interior picture of the case on the site ..short answer NO.

Thanks. I did go to their website but couldn't quite tell from the pic. So that's a deal breaker for me.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2020, 12:00 PM »
Thanks. I did go to their website but couldn't quite tell from the pic. So that's a deal breaker for me.

https://strikerbrands.com/products/rod-case

https://strikerbrands.com/products/transporter

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:16 PM »
I use a Orvis safe passage carry it all bag.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2020, 04:54 PM »
I've got a 2B rod case which isn't too bad but it doesn't do much to prevent the reels from hitting each other. It only supports rods up to 36" long, which is actually fine for most of my rods, but for longer rods up to 42-44" (like for lakers/big pike), I'm still searching.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2020, 07:34 PM »
I have the eagle claw for me and my son. It fits inside my eskimo 2-man flip-over. I also have 2 Cabela's soft cases. One can hold 3 rods and I can get 4 in the other soft case.
jbird68

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2020, 02:27 PM »
I have the Clam Rod Locker shown in this video (the smaller one).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCYKw2YponQ

I love it.  It hold all of my rods and tackle, but I'm not sure if they make it anymore.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I bought the Striker Ice case last spring on sale, but have not used it on ice yet. I did put all my gear into it and love how organized it is.  I think there is even still room for my lunch! 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2020, 10:33 PM »
I just saw the new Otter rod case.  Pro-Tech Deep Rod case.  There's one in 40" and another in 48".  They are designed similar to the Eagle Claw Ice rod case where you can store your rods handle and blank supported.  It's a tough case where it should be okay to set stuff on top of it.  Comes with a hefty price tag of $199.99 and $249.99.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:28 AM »
I made a nice one out of a volleyball net case cost was about 2 bucks or so.

Offline Menzies17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:09 AM »
I used a hard case that’s meant for rifles. Cost a lot less compared to the ice case. I can get my 42” laker rod in there too.

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:36 AM »
I've used the Frabill hard sided case for a few years now. Its been a really solid case, as it offers a slimmer profile than the others while still being a hard sided case. The case easily fits 5 rods and can get up to 6, depending on rods and how they are arranged.

This year, I am looking at upgrading to the Lakewood ice rod caddy so I can carry more rods.

Offline Maineguy93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2020, 07:50 AM »
I wanted to order an Otter Sportsman but this years new styles are too big for what I wanted so this is what I came up with after buying a few rods from TUCR.

It is a Plano gun case, crushproof, rust prevention etc.. I am setting it up to hold 3 combos. Some may think it’s overkill, but it will protect the rods on longer snowmobile rides and I can also use it for my guns in the summer. I believe it is only 2lbs heavier than the old sportsman cases.

I also have used single rod tubes like Bart in the past when I don’t need the protection.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Reeds Sporting Goods has the older style Otter cases listed...
https://www.reedssports.com/otter-sportmans-rod-case-200065-609142029094

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.