The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: How do I catch golden shiners?  (Read 7384 times)

Offline TimG

• IceShanty Rookie
How do I catch golden shiners?
« on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:18 AM »

Hey all, I am completely knew to Ice fishing and just made a few of my own tip ups. Now my question is How do I catch golden shiners through the ice to use for bait?

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How do I catch golden shiners?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Hey all, I am completely knew to Ice fishing and just made a few of my own tip ups. Now my question is How do I catch golden shiners through the ice to use for bait?

But a Jig rod and small hooks (#6 maybe? idk) and small bait? or a small lure? SOmeone else will have to chime in to correct me as im usually wrong.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Smallest jig you have tipped with a spike or waxie. They bite real light so be ready to set the hook.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Kinda tough because ya want a good soak and if folks see ya hole with the trap bye bye trap if ya leave it overnight and catching them is really tough with a rod

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:20 PM »
The first step is finding them.  Then, they're like any other fish, only they have really little mouths or you have to leave your bait trap sitting out for 12-24 hours.  Lots of traps go missing, and lots of traps get pulled out empty because the shiners didn't find the trap, or the trapper didn't find the shiners.

I'd suggest you buy bait for the rest of winter, then once the ice melts hunt them down.  Find yourself 4 or 5 places that produce regularly and make sure you don't trap them all out, or you'll ruin your shiner spot.  It's enough time and effort to just toss the trap out into the water, let alone cutting a hole big enough to fit the trap into then getting it back out of that hole after it refreezes.

You can jig them up if you know where they are, but they're not going to move a lot once the water gets cold so you basically have to cut a hole on top of them if you're going to jig them up.  Drop a hook and some kind of bait into a bucket of shiners and see how they like it and if the hook will fit in their mouth or not.  Good luck getting the hook set, though.  It's not easy at all with such a small fish.

I think there might be some old posts about how to find them, too.  You could search for those, there's a search box up in the top left corner of every screen.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:50 PM »
ive only got them late october early november on a tiny hook and bobber and keep them alive in a cast iron bath tub as my bait tank. for some reason i only get them after i cant catch dace anymore and the bite only lasts a week or two.(im talking goldens over 8 inches the small ones can be caught all year in traps)

Offline treemanjb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Try around sundown and have a good eye on the line. The bite is very sensitive.  Where?   Treemanjb

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:06 PM »
you can trap through the ice it is hit or miss if your worried about theft dont use a line take a treble hook and put it on a painters pole to retrieve the trap just make sure its long enough before you let the trap down.jigging does work its tough, if you get into them chum the holes with bread crumbs or oatmeal to keep them around the hole. and try a sabiki rig but you can only use 2 hooks on them for fresh water in this state.it is better to get them before the ice comes .
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:09 PM »
you can trap through the ice it is hit or miss if your worried about theft dont use a line take a treble hook and put it on a painters pole to retrieve the trap just make sure its long enough before you let the trap down.jigging does work its tough, if you get into them chum the holes with bread crumbs or oatmeal to keep them around the hole. and try a sabiki rig but you can only use 2 hooks on them for fresh water in this state.it is better to get them before the ice comes .

It's 2 hooks on open water, 5 on the ice.  Standing on ice and dropping your line into open water on a brook or something isn't ice fishing, either.  I called the EPOs and asked...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline PIKEHUNTER69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:15 PM »
good advice allaround   they are hard to get through the ice!  i have done it though! but never got more then a 1/2 dozen in a day that were big enough for pike bait!  we do trap them in november and december before big ice hits, and we throw a handfull of dogfood in the traps and soak em overnite! ussually get a ton of small to mediums, but there great for trout salmon perch ect.....
NOTHING MAKES ME SMILE, LIKE A WHITETAILS GUT PILE!!!   WHITETAIL DOWN!! I REPEAT WHITETAIL DOWN!!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:01 PM »
It's 2 hooks on open water, 5 on the ice.  Standing on ice and dropping your line into open water on a brook or something isn't ice fishing, either.  I called the EPOs and asked...

two hooks one hole is what i meant just like a quick strike rig.
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:07 PM »
iv had pretty good success putting my trap down with cat food and then jigging right next to it with a small jig and waxworms. small bait small hooks. its easier to watch the line for hits depending on how sensative ur jigging rod is. the best way to get them is to try! go out and have fun
if your not fishing, your not living

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.