Author Topic: Opening day on the ice??  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Mr_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Opening day on the ice??
« on: Apr 08, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Any chance we could be out on the ice may 5th?  With the cold forecast we have.....i wouldnt bet against it.

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Opening day on the ice??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2013, 02:24 AM »
Ill keep my gear packed in the sled and the marcum charged just in case! Haha

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Could very well happen.  Going to head out to Buffalo Pound tonight to check the ice and take some water samples for my science class.
Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Not too sure about the southern parts but if the long range forecast is right, I'm betting lakes around Meadow Lake will be locked up well into may. Most years there are still chunks of ice floating around opening day and thats on a spring with normal temps. We could have ice for a very long time yet unless temps drastically change in the end of April.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2013, 10:01 AM »
We're still making ice on the mountain, I was cruising around the lake last weekend and theres still 1-2 feet of snow that hasent even melted yet on top of 40 inches of ice. Im pretty certain that one way or another I will be ice fishing on opening day.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2013, 03:56 PM »
I got grandure plans of icing some HOGS at deif on opening day. It's gonna feel strange walking 100 yards+ on the sandy beach to get to the ice but I'll get over it
Blake from Elbow

Offline Icatchnothing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2013, 06:22 PM »
  Don't quite remember the year, but was late 70's or early 80, that on the first day of summer fishing which I believe at that time was the 1st Saturday in May, on Turtle Lake ,we had to bust our way through snow to get on the lake. We were in a 4x4 and had to do considerable amount of shoveling just to get on the lake. So it can happen and will probably happen this year again.
  That year the ice was still around on the long weekend in May although there was lots of open water.  I good rule of thumb for Turtle Lake, ice is gone around May 10
If I catch the one I am after and 2 more I will have 3

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Not much chance of that this year, most definiately be icefishing opening day and probably a few weekends after, just like it was around i think 8-10yrs ago. I love icefishing but enough already but if that is what we have to do so be it >:(

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Lookin' forward to the windburn / tan to get a good base for the summer. Wondering about the spawn as last few days in March fish were quite on / off, here's for a good season YAHOO!~!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2013, 09:43 PM »
It would sure be great if all the snow was melted but a guy could still drive a truck on!

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Well the Moose Jaw area is getting another big dump of snow this weekend.. I'm almost certain ill be on the ice on opening day!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2013, 04:31 PM »
I wonder how all this ice will affect the fish that spawn in the spring, like our pike and walleye?

Will there be enough room below the ice for them to get to their spawning areas this season?

Once they get there I wonder how long they will they have to wait until ideal water temps for spawning to occure are found?

They might be just starting to spawn when opening day arrives. :-\

WW

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Ya, probally be a late spawn?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Shouldn't affect the spawn in my opinion as the spawn is triggered by water temp. Late ice out means a late spawn. Everything I've read says the spawn is done after ice out as this is when the water temp is ideal for the walleye and pike spawn. If the ice is still on the lake the water temps are too cold to trigger the spawn.
I'm not an expert by any means but just going by all the info I've read.

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2013, 11:10 PM »
last year i was catching pike with spawn still in them until at least the third week in may, at BP

Offline Goettler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2013, 02:15 PM »
So if it actually comes down to fishing on the ice on opening day, I will be wareing my life jacket and other safety gear. But what would be the best approach for the eyes? Will they be up on the spawing beds? Or do we just pick up where we left off on the 31st?

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2013, 03:00 PM »
I'd have to assume the fish would be close to potential spawning areas.  Any ideas on whether burbot would still be hanging around their spawning areas protecting their eggs?

Offline gomwitdawind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2013, 08:57 PM »
  Don't quite remember the year, but was late 70's or early 80, that on the first day of summer fishing which I believe at that time was the 1st Saturday in May, on Turtle Lake ,we had to bust our way through snow to get on the lake. We were in a 4x4 and had to do considerable amount of shoveling just to get on the lake. So it can happen and will probably happen this year again.
  That year the ice was still around on the long weekend in May although there was lots of open water.  I good rule of thumb for Turtle Lake, ice is gone around May 10
That woulda been 1979,  and along with 2002 and this year, these will be the 3 coldest springs in the last 35. in 2002 i was ice fishing on the gem lakes 2 days before the long weekend in may, and i have a photo of my car on the ice on shannon lake in the narrow hills on may 8!!!

Offline steadyrippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2013, 12:45 PM »
How's the ice holdin up?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2013, 06:53 PM »
 i'm going to check a couple lakes around here in the next little while but i bet there's as much ice as there was at the end of march.  lots of snow on the lakes still, more after getting 3-4" this wknd.  i haven't put ANY of the gear away yet!

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Ice should be in better shape than it is end of march for most years. I'm going out this weekend to check the ice. I'm hoping for opening day on the ice fingers crossed  ;D I had plans to get the boat upgrades done in April but when I was snowmobiling till a week or two ago working on the boat might jinx my chance at hard water opening day. Snow is slowly starting to melt, hopefully this quick warm up that's coming wont kill the ice completely

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Ice should hold up for opening day. Unless shorelines break up with the warm weather? ???

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Nothing an extension ladder can't take care of
Blake from Elbow

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Ya, or hip waders! LOL

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2013, 04:02 PM »
LML and the fort are still SOLID, hell.. we're probably still making ice at night. 40+ inches of ice and 1-2 feet of snow on the lake still. Unless things change drastically in the next 12 days then I'd imagine its still ok to drive the trucks on.

I dont want to speak too soon but I would be surprised if we dont get at least a week or two of fishing.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Is there any sign of the Qu'Appelle River opening up in any area or is it still solid as well? ???

WW

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2013, 08:05 PM »
It has been open for quite some time. At least two months? Edges may still have ice though? I am guessing you are asking if it will be possible to fish from shore opening day? I am heading out that way may 3rd and can let you know the conditions if you like? ??? :)

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2013, 12:05 PM »
The river through Saskatoon was jammed with floating ice last weekend. The ice must have gone further down stream. Last evening my kid practiced driving from close to south circle drive bridge to Broadway Bridge. The river section is completely open.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2013, 12:44 PM »
The river was open all the way across at Outlook last week, and the natural creek that flows into/around Brightwater has been flowing hard as well. I wont be going on the ice for opener, its pretty milky looking at blackstrap and there are some wetspots. There is a large patch of open water at Deif by the dam too. Ill fish the river somewhere I think. Cant wait till Deif is open, gonna hammer some big pike in the coulees. Good luck

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Not sure on conditions But Be careful. Not worth a boot full or worse. I think I will be happy with the Boat. But you never know... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.