Author Topic: Country Bait Shop-Valpo  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
Country Bait Shop-Valpo
« on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I've caught the new girl 2 times trying to pass walleye minnows for bass minnows and bass minnows for pike minnows ::). Don't know of she's just green or dumb.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline shantyking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Country Bait Shop-Valpo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 PM »
it happened to me twice there selling whatever they have and their prices have got way out of line try slezs bait in lake station found it a few weeks ago 5am open everyday and always loaded wiyh bait even mousies roaches nice size 4.95 out the door ended up with 15 good count spikes too 100count 2.75 hope this helps good fishin to ya

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:36 PM »
I have always been satisfied with the bait from Country but until the past couple times in there, have heard some good things about Slez's also, going to try there next trip for bait.

Offline shantyking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:43 PM »
youll like it always open and straight up fair prices i just cant beleive theyve been there 24 years and i just found it valpo shop just went soar out of nowwhere and i cant afford too get jacked around on prices

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:56 PM »
I have been there once before a little over a year ago but have not done much inland lake fishing since.  Most of the time I hit the Valpo chain and Country is on the way but time for a change.  Was thinking about trying that lake just west of slez's sometime, have never heard much about it but saw a couple shanties out there over the past week, would you have any info on it?

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:11 AM »
Slez's prices are better, I just can't justify an hours round trip there to fish 15 minutes from country.  Any time I travel outside of the area except to Slez's the service seems to be no better than you'll find at Country.  They have more than reasonable hours, and besides the gas stations, and BPS they are the only bait shop I know of in North Porter County.

Offline bop3c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:31 AM »
Bite me bait in porter is a pretty good bait shop, small but if he dont have something he will get it if you ask... mom and pop, worth a try.. they all could use some support, if we want them to stay open.. . they are located on the corner of babcock rd. [200w.]  and old porter ave. yellow house , between the fireworks stores.. knock on the door, they will open up for you..  [just another option ]

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Doris from Country bait has had it pretty rough this past year. Marlien passed away awhile back and she has had to go through a number of employees due to hiring thieves and people that cant count and dont know what bait is what. I have supported her for over 20 years as she has ALWAYS had quality bait, and will continue to do so. Slez,s in lake station has good bait as well when im in the area.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:03 AM »
We miss Marlene, I could tell you stories of her kindnesses when I would show up there without my bait bucket and like that.  They have always struggled with employees though.  It'll turn around.

cc
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:24 AM »
the lake by slez" is called grand blvd..and for the purposes of the lurkers on this site...THERE IS NO FISH IN THAT LAKE SO YOU JUST MIGHT WANT TO TRY THREE RIVERS PARK...hehe...

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:26 AM »
I have been going to the country bait shop for over twenty years, and will continue to do so.  They are always open (they were open at least half a day on Christmas Eve), their prices for equipment has always been fair, and their bait has always been good.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:54 AM »
I have been going to the country bait shop for over twenty years, and will continue to do so.  They are always open (they were open at least half a day on Christmas Eve), their prices for equipment has always been fair, and their bait has always been good.

Ditto...............If Doris is waiting on you its service with a smile too!  Poor lady can't be there 24/7/365

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:13 AM »
She always treats me with a special jig whenever I buy bait. Her sister passed/part owner of store.

Offline bop3c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:50 AM »
She is a good friend of the porter county conservation club and has always supported us in our efforts with the take a kid fishing day, and our annual ice fishing derby, she has already donated to our derby this year on feb. 12 th .

as you say she cant be there 24/7.  she will not tolerate that type of behavior.. I will explain to her what has been happening, this happened to me with the new guy.. a couple weeks ago . charged me for the bass minnows and tryed to give me crappie minnows.. I gave him the benefit of doubt on that one , but sounds like hes puttin the difference in his pocket...

This will stop....   god bless MARLENE... we all miss her infectious smile ...

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:27 AM »
    Country bait has been my bait shop for the last 20+ years,and has always been one you can count on, by that I mean being open when they say they will be open. The shiners from there have in my opinion have been fair in price . All prices everywhere for everything ,inc bait has gone up. The value of having a local bait shop for a fisherman is huge. Its not an easy business. Doris has been a friend for many years, I have had many conversations with her and Marlene. Doris has been very generous in her donations over the years, inc. just recently to the FOF fishing derby on Loomis lake. There are other bait shops , but remember to support your local shop Bait shop, I recommend COUNTRY BAIT.      Mark, Highflags
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I agree Doris and Country Bait is a great shop, we are fortunate to have some a shop. There are other good shops in the area. Let's support them all. Recently I needed a lantern globe, could have gone to the big box but I went to her. It's worth it to me to see them stay open.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I've been going there almost 20 yrs myself, Doris has always been great to me and my daughter. I don't want to go anywhere else....thanx
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.