Author Topic: Bad Experience with Wardens??  (Read 7709 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Bad Experience with Wardens??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:20 PM »
When I was 14 I hiked back into a small local pond to do some early season pickeral fishing.. it was a beautiful spring day and I had 2 nice size fish on my stringer :) Along comes mr amn the eco. he starts yelling form my license.. I tell him that I am 14 and NY you do not need a license untill you are 16... agian telling him I am 14... he proceeds to ask for my drivers lic. I explain (very politely) that I am 14 and in nY you must be 16 to have a drivers lic. He makes me hike out to the car, he tosses me in the back and takes me home. MY pop was not to happy, I guess the officer was not either when dad got done with him.. needless to say he retired soon after and the current eco in the area is a fair guy :)

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2004, 06:52 AM »
Pulaski,
          Used to have a great time out there!!!!
          I took my boys out there for many years from the time they were 12 years old and they got hooked on it.There was two times I thought the DEC STUNK.One time I let my son go with a so called friend and that guy apparently foul hooked a fish and put it on a stringer.When they were leaving he asked my son to carry his fish up the bank for him and then that's when DEC stopped him and said they knew the fish was foul hooked and gave my son the ticket.Not the guy that caught it just my son because he was in possession of it.The other time my other son received a ticket for not having a CURRENT fishing license.My son was 18 years old and brought his new Oct. license and didn't realize he needed his last year license.The officer gave him a ticket and pulled him out of the water and said your lucky I usually send people home but since your with your dad I'll let you watch from the bank.That suc---. 200 miles from home and he couldn't fish.I felt bad so we all just left.I can say they go out of their way with cameras and sting operations and I think they go overboard.I can understand releasing all lake returning fish like lakers ,coho,steelhead,but the dying fish !!!! Hey let people get a charge outa keeping them if they want.It would certainly increase the bussiness out there for the locals.

pa ice man

« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:22 AM »
fishing with my dad near little bufflo went down stream to fish left dad in a hole 500 yrds from rd come back a warden behind dad acks hows fishing  dad sas not bad but fish stoped biting tells dad his line is in a tree   dad tells him he is blind   must have felt like a a h @#e helps him get line out of tree then tells him a bout a handicap fishing spot thats getting stocked in one hour  and puts jumbo trout in 4 him and wont leat no one fish withen 100 yrds of him not all bad just some

iceman0002

« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2004, 05:49 PM »
 Here in colorado i have never had a bad experience with a warden in fact when i see them they usually just ask for a license , after they see it they tell me  how people have been doing different places ect.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:44 PM »
Have friends in the police force, have friends that are wardens.  People generally get what they deserve.  Was fishing two years ago, had made my son pull a trap every time he decided he wanted to jig.  At one point the rain was coming down in buckets and he wanted to jig.  Didn't make him pull a trap to be legal.  Guess what?  A warden had walked 1/4 mile to my shack to inspect/talk to us.  All that way, soaking wet and he didn't give my son a ticket.  (He actually didn't "see" him jigging but I admitted we had too many lines in the water)  He gave us a little lecture and that was it.  Got what we deserved but also a break.  He visited our shack the following week to see how we were doing and asked where my son was.  (Sking) I asked if he meant the outlaw and he just smiled.  In all the years I've been hunting and fishing, I have absolutely zero complaints with our wardens.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Was on bay of GB in tent with buddy and Scottie dogs. Warden pulls up on snowmobile and big black snowmobile suit to check licenc :Dses and such. My dogs think is gorilla or grizzley bear and try to eat him from boots up. Male pees all over poor guys boots and then hoses his sled as we chat. Once he takes off helmet dogs are fine except for peeing on him. He suggested that I need a special permit for keeping wild animals, has some hot cocoa with us and on his way. Nice guy and glad to see wardens on the ice checking.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:43 PM »
Lots of wardens treat you the way you treated them when they walked up. Always be courteous and respectfull. That will go a long way in their eyes. Hopefully!! :'(

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Being a police officer I have seen there is bad eggs in all jobs, but all my experiences with local wardens have been great. They usually come over and chat about the fishing or other things. I usually ask them about the location of where fish are being caught or the stocking program. People have to realize sometimes you reap what you sow, in laymans terms don't lie or act ignorant or rude. i pull over people all the time those who argue or lie usually get the ticket as opposed to the person who was honest. Attitude goes a long way. Show respect and you will get respect all law enforcement is not out to terrorize the public they just have a job to do. Remember when they approach you they don't know your character or anything else about. You can only make one first impression. These people are here to protect our sport from the people who abuse it.  :)

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:30 PM »
Crab all you want. In Ct., I think we have 4 wardens in the whole state. I've seen one, once, and thats it! I wish we had a thousand! If your  honest, no problem. But I've grown tired of finding the carcasses of 14" striped bass coming in on the tide, filets gone, tossed over the boat.   Thats like people who keep 3" perch.  To me, legal or not, what the **** you gonna do with a 3" perch? >:(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

fishmann

« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Although I've read all of it, I've stayed out of this one. However, I can't stay out forever.

I know a mechanic that will sell you everything he can regardless of if you need it, just so he can make a buck. I also know a mechanic that will bend over backward to try and save you money, but ensure your car is still safe and reliable.

I have an attorney that our business has to have for drawing up legal documents. He's a very avid fisherman, made the Minnesota State B.A.S.S. Team to represent us at regionals this year. I have no problems with his work. I also know some shysters/ambulance chasers.

I know a policeman that will give you a warning if you're doing 65 in a 55, (like I was a week ago), or a fix-it ticket for a burnt out bulb, or call you to tell you one of the parking lot security lights is burnt out, which I wouldn't have ever noticed in the summer time, never here that late. I also know a policeman that will sit at the beginning of a 45 mph zone after a 55 zone and write tickets all day long to people that don't slow down fast enough.

I know a stereo repairman, a pizza delivery guy, a doctor, a gift shop owner, a gas station clerk, a radio advertising rep, an etc., etc., etc....

It's not the occupation that is the key, it's the individual you have contact with. Some do their job effectivly, conscientiously and courtiously. Some will try to use every crossed T and dotted I in their favor to their benefit, regardless of the circumstances. Please don't lump ALL enforcement officers into the BAD catagory, anymore than ALL people of any profession are bad. I deal with the public every day in my job, and although I don't recall all the people that have been nice, friendly and considerate, I do recall the ones that weren't. Probably because the nice, normal ones are the rule, and the others stand out. No one remembers an average meal at an average resturaunt, but everyone remembers a bad one. If I may so bold as to sing a bar or two....

"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl..."  ::) ::) ::)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:06 PM »
well said fishmann

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:11 PM »
Thats odd. I remodel homes. Around here, the jerks are normal. I'ts the very few nice people that made the crew feel welcome that will stand out in my mind forever. Forever is just around the corner, now. ;)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Mike Hunt

« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:39 AM »
UUUUGGGGG ;D ;D For a small town we got an extra share a jerks here to. :'( I got to shut up an fish Mike Hunt out

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Well it is obvious that we have some idiot wardens here in NY, but I had one pull up to me on Indian Lake (younger guy)  last Sunday on his NEW Artic Cat sled.  He asked how I was doing and I told him.  I asked him about how the upper end of the lake was doing and he told me....Very nice guy...and he did'nt even ask for a licsense...Most of the time I will just get it out when I see them coming, just so that they don't hwve to go through the "Hey how's the fishin, gotta licsense??"
But anyways, was very nice chatting with him.
Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Tricky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go Vikes!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Sure there are 'good' guys and 'bad' guys in every profession, but wardens, like cops should be held to a higher standard, for one very simple reason - their decisions can affect your future and whether you have a criminal record in some cases. I am overstating it, but they shouldn't have the authority to bust you cos they are having a bad day or they don't like the look of your face. The j**ks among them should get weeded out and everyone would be better off. There are plenty of good officers around, but they are dragged down by the "little Hitlers." Ever tried complaining about a warden/cop? Just forget it.

Don't break the fishing laws.
Peace.

Bob Catman

« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2004, 01:15 PM »
When I was about 18 in the national gaurd  you have a green colored ID which means that you are inactive...(just a week-end warrior) with a pink ID means your active.. (full time).....Well because I was in the service I got a servicemans hunting/fishing combo license which means I got it for 1/2 price.....Fishing on the banks of dutton pond in knox and here comes a warden...I continue to fish till he gets over to me and he asks me how the fishing was and "can I see your license"..Sure I replied thinking nothing of it.."are you in the army" he asks, Yes i replied...in the gaurd.
"Well you have to be active to have this type license" he said...Well i'm in the ARMY national gaurd...did the boot camp,advanced training and have been in 3 years now in the service, I showed my ID to the town clerk and received my license without a bat of an eye! "Well I have to check into it, but have to write you up for fishing w/o a license" WHAT...well I guess I'll have to go to court and fight it..I snapped at him...
He wrote me up and left.....A few weeks later(court Date) I was going to explain the situation to the judge and see what she would say, The warden that wrote me up shows up and just befor court was in sesion he walks up to me and states " In you try to fight this I will persue a crime of fishing with a fraugulant license" I stood there....18 years old and just theatened by a warden.......*&^%& wardens...did'nt know any better and said the hell w/it, pleaded guilty 88 doller fine......I will pump a warden or biologist for hunting or fishing info but to this date I still do'nt trust them because of that....
Sounds "fishy", did you join when you were 15?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.