Author Topic: Winter Walleye Jigging  (Read 8035 times)

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Winter Walleye Jigging
« on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:07 AM »
Which swim bait do you prefer and  maybe share some success you have had with it.
1. Jigging Rap (rapala) 2. Jigging Shad Rap (rapala) 3. Chubby darter

I have always been a huge Jigging Rap fisherman but am thinking about working the chubby darter some this year for the he** of it.

THANKS!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Winter Walleye Jigging
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:42 AM »
that is a hard question as I carry all three with me when on the ice, I have had my best success with the shad rap over the other two, but I feel the chubby had great potential and once I land a fish with one and get my technique set I think it could land me a lot of fish....at this moment my vote goes with the shad rap

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2007, 09:36 PM »
I have had the most success on the Chubby Darter. I mess around with the hooks - changing them out with red hooks or glow in the dark and even putting on a stinger. I know a lot of people prefer the Rapala, and I own quite a few, but I tend to get a little more action out of the CD. I fish quite a few flowages where the water is tanic so the Copper Gold color has been the best producer so far followed by the Yellow Metallic Dace.

Good Luck!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2007, 10:56 PM »
None of the above. ;)
Smaller Airplane Jig for me.. But if I had to choose from the above i'd go with a Chartreuse and white shad rap deadsticked on a bucket with a nice lively fathead on the back hook.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Nils Junior Shad and Regular Shad.  For me, bigger lure had + bigger fish.  I've had a really tough time switching to Chubby Darters with the success I've had on the Nils, but this year I am going to try.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2007, 01:11 PM »
do you guys bait the hooks when using these? also what do you think of sweedish pimples for walleye?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2007, 02:56 PM »
My jigging Raps
I always bait mine with a minnow head or walleye or perch eye.
When using the eyes I prefer the walleye eye- hook the back fatty tissue of the eye ball(stays on a long time)

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2007, 03:01 PM »
sweedish pimple with a shiner works great for walleyes

BEEN WISHIN TO DO SOME HARD WATER FISHIN

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:33 PM »
how do you rig the shiner on the pimple?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline bacoj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:21 PM »
I've had good luck hooking a medium sized shiner head on pimples.  I hook the head through the nose and let the bloody/gore end dangle below.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:42 PM »
jigging rap, make sure its one of the glow colors, ive had decent luck with a waxie on the head and tail of the lure
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2007, 01:20 PM »
Shad rap with nothing on it,pimple with spikes or waxie(my favorite) :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline TheFishstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:44 PM »
Jiggin Shad Raps are the ticket for me! I usually put a minnow head of the treble as a confidence booster. A lot of times the fish will hit it as I pause it. Almost lost my rod down the hole the other day when I went to check on a tip up, luckily my buddy was still in the trap and he managed to grab my rod before i went down the hole!

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:57 PM »
I just use small jigs with live minnows on them. Hook them just under the dorsil fin and they stay alive down there for hours....I've never really used anything fance before...

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2008, 06:49 AM »
When you fish with Raps or darters or whatever...do you use a spring bobber or go without?
jbird68

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:26 PM »
without
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Grizzly Rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:01 PM »
No spring bobbers.  Been fishing eyes for over 50 years and always jig for them.  My go to lure the past few years is a Buckshot lure tipped with 2 or 3 perch minnows.   Usually the buckshot spoon works best and on the days my FL18 vex shows me they aren't liking it I switch to a jigging rap......tipped with 2 perch minnows.............bo th are deadly on eyes.......

Most guys fish for eyes wayyyyy tooooo deep.  On my favorite lake I usually start in 14 fow a couple of hours before dark and by 2 hours after dark I usually end up in 5 to 6 fow.   ALWAYS have my holes predrilled so not to spook them...............

Good fishing..............o h, first post and nice site.............
Ride a grizzly or walk......

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:08 PM »
No spring bobbers.  Been fishing eyes for over 50 years and always jig for them.  My go to lure the past few years is a Buckshot lure tipped with 2 or 3 perch minnows.   Usually the buckshot spoon works best and on the days my FL18 vex shows me they aren't liking it I switch to a jigging rap......tipped with 2 perch minnows.............bo th are deadly on eyes.......

Most guys fish for eyes wayyyyy tooooo deep.  On my favorite lake I usually start in 14 fow a couple of hours before dark and by 2 hours after dark I usually end up in 5 to 6 fow.   ALWAYS have my holes predrilled so not to spook them...............

Good fishing..............o h, first post and nice site.............
I agree and your right this is a nice site isnt it :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I just use small jigs with live minnows on them. Hook them just under the dorsil fin and they stay alive down there for hours....I've never really used anything fance before...
yes true walleye catcher must be from MANITOBA.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:58 AM »
I found my new secret for winter jigging, #3 chubby darter that glows with a perch eye on the back hook.  Every trip out lately this has produced for me.  Good thing too, because i was started to lose confidence in the darters.

E

Offline Homer Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:16 PM »
do you guys bait the hooks when using these? also what do you think of sweedish pimples for walleye?

like the other guy said I think the pimple works great with a shiner hooked onto it.  You can get all fancy with your methods of tying him on there but as long as it's hooked solid and the fish are there they'll bite it.  Caught two perch and three walleye out of the same hole with a swedish pimple just two days ago!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.