Author Topic: Help with suggestions  (Read 935 times)

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help with suggestions
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:45 AM »
I am planning on coming down your way next weekend (1/13/17-1/16/17) to do some fishing. I plan on staying with a buddy in Logan and I still have a valid Utah license. Saturday and Sunday we are going up to the Preston Idaho area to fish for panfish but I was wondering if any of you guys had some suggestions on where to go on Monday on my way home from Logan to Wyoming or something right around the Logan area for Friday afternoon. I will have a snowmachine with me more than likely. I was thinking Birtch creek, bear lake, ect just looking for some general tips on decent places to go where I can get into some different fish than I normally do (trout). Thank you for your help!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Help with suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I  would think Mantua or Hyram would be your best bet.  A little further drive could get you to Pineview for some Crappie.  Not sure how the ice is yet for any travel by machine.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I would maybe think about Woodruff  not sure how the road is into there but you can get a snow machine the lake

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Thanks guys I'll look into those. Would I have a decent chance at a tiger trout at any of them? I know they are listed as a species in a few of them but I am wondering how likely it would be for me to snag one. I was also wondering about Newton for Friday afternoon, does anyone know how the ice is up there recently? All of that snow I have a feeling is going to make it a mess but thats what the sleds are for.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Tigers in Causey and Scofield.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Birch is pretty tough to get into. Riding a sled in there is not advised especially pulling a sled full of gear. Woodruf is an option but the rancher only plows the road so far then it's snowmobile from there. There is a smaller reservoir in Randolph that they pull some ok trout out of. Woodruf narrows reservoir is an option also just over the boarder into wyoming. You don't here much about it but I have heard of some good perch in there, you just have to find them. Hyrum and Mantua are not far from logan either. From what I've been seeing porcupine just capped also.  If you come further south  you have Pineview and Causey also. Lots of options. Good luck massntrash
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Thank you to all for the suggestions. I ended up fishing 4 lakes in 3 different states over the course of the past 4 days and caught 5 different species and well over 300 fish. To say it was a good trip would be an understatement.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:10 PM »
 Those are great memories. Love those kind of trips for sure.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Sounds like a great time massntrash, I hope you got some bigger ones than you posted up on the short board. I finally got my entry on there yesterday and its not to big but its got me on the drawings  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Yes I caught some bigger ones lol but nothing that challenges the leader boards so I just took a picture of an average gill to get me in the drawings. Great trip for sure! Now back to trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.