The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Help with picking out first flasher?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help with picking out first flasher?
« on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Hey all. I'm looking to buy my first flasher, but not sure what I need/want. I tend to fish fairly shallow - Spring Meadow, the causeway, CF, etc - not sure what the future might hold for new places. I don't usually target any species in particular, I just like catching whatever is swimming through. I'm almost always out solo, and if I'm not, no one else in my party is running electronics.

Right now I'm eyeing the Humminbird Ice 35, the MarCum LX-3TCI, along with the Vex FL 12 pro and FL18SE.

I've read through as much as I can through searching the site, and reviews on cabela's site (have a gift card for there, so likely ordering through them), and see pro's and con's to all. Mostly wondering what those who do similar fishing to me are running and what you all feel gives the most bang for your $300-$400 bucks.

Thanks in advance, IS. Y'all are awesome.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help with picking out first flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:20 PM »
IMO, the Humminbird 35 is a solid unit and very affordable.  Not hard to learn either.  It'll get you accustomed to flashers and serve its' purpose for years to come.

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Thanks, Slickice! The price tag certainly has me very interested.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:46 PM »
I've used a vexilar fl-8 for over 10 years now. Its great in both shallow and deep water. Affordable too.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Jimbo911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Fl12 genz!! 359.00 best unit for the price and by far one of the most popular. Vexilar.com

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Vexilar fl-18 just can't wrong with it

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Love my new FL-18!!  Can't believe it took me until last March to finally breakdown and get one!!
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2016, 11:02 PM »
Depending on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole..a budget thang...but a simple system with good sonar functions will be all you need...if you can afford a $1000 unit...great...but a$250 unit will catch the same amount of fish...

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2016, 11:14 PM »
I have a Vexilar FL18 and love it. Catch a lot more fish than I did before stepping up my game. For the most part all the flashers are about the same. A few differences in how they display, but for the most part they are comparable in their features. Find the one that suits your liking and learn how to use its features. There are a lot of youtube videos to help in your choice. One of the reasons I went with Vexilar is that I added a camera and the whole thing fits in one handy carry bag. Always nice seeing what the bottom looks like below your hole in 40 FOW.

Offline RicA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:49 AM »
I just went through the same process of choosing my first flasher and after a lot o research, question answering, etc  I ended up with the MarCum LX5i.  I do think that Vexilar are also quality products and I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. 

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:03 AM »
Hey all. I'm looking to buy my first flasher, but not sure what I need/want. I tend to fish fairly shallow - Spring Meadow, the causeway, CF, etc - not sure what the future might hold for new places. I don't usually target any species in particular, I just like catching whatever is swimming through. I'm almost always out solo, and if I'm not, no one else in my party is running electronics.

Right now I'm eyeing the Humminbird Ice 35, the MarCum LX-3TCI, along with the Vex FL 12 pro and FL18SE.

I've read through as much as I can through searching the site, and reviews on cabela's site (have a gift card for there, so likely ordering through them), and see pro's and con's to all. Mostly wondering what those who do similar fishing to me are running and what you all feel gives the most bang for your $300-$400 bucks.

Thanks in advance, IS. Y'all are awesome.
I have used the Marcum LX-3tc for about 5yrs with no problems what so ever. I bought the LX-7 this year so my wife is using the LX-3 and it's still running strong.

Offline montanaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:42 AM »
i got the marcum vx 1p and havnt needed anything else its works great

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:54 AM »
We really like our FL-18.
Shop around you can save some $$ buy looking.
Agree with the other comments as well.... find a basic name brand unit you like and fits the budget.... it should serve you well.   :tipup:

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I own a Humminbird Ice 45, Humminbird Ice 55, and a Vexilar FL18 and have had no problems with any of them. I would suggest buying any of the Birds, even the Ice 35 and if I was going to buy a Vexilar it would be the FL18 of any of the Vexilars.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:37 PM »
I've had my fl-18 since I was 12, I'm now 21 and she's still running and works awesome. If you get the 18 you wont ever have to upgrade once you get the hang of things. it has all the features you could want, and need. gone through 2 batteries on it in that time period and that's the only problem I've ever had, besides it not forcing fish to bite  ;) you wont be dissapointed with any vexilar product

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Thanks to all for your input!

I ended up going with the Ice35. A lot of love from all crowds, but in the end, budget turned into a bigger factor than planned, and humminbird won that contest. Looking forward to Cabelas shipping it; hoping there'll still be ice when it arrives. Thanks again, everyone! I'm excited to hit the ice and see what's going on down there.

Offline fillets-4-days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:05 PM »
I bought the Vex Fl-8 Genz because a lot of the reviews were great in comparison to the higher models. I freakin love it.  Battery run time on mine is phenomenal.  I havnt charged it in 3 weekends of fishing now.  I have a buddy who doesn't read many reviews and assumes the highest priced has got to be the best.  I told him mine works fine.  I can see where the bottom is, I can see where my jig is, and I can see where and when fish come thru. And get this...I catch fish!!!  lol.. I don't really see what more a guy needs in a sonar flasher.  Haha.  Good luck.
"What beautiful 'Eyes  you have"

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I bought the Vex Fl-8 Genz because a lot of the reviews were great in comparison to the higher models. I freakin love it.  Battery run time on mine is phenomenal.  I havnt charged it in 3 weekends of fishing now.  I have a buddy who doesn't read many reviews and assumes the highest priced has got to be the best.  I told him mine works fine.  I can see where the bottom is, I can see where my jig is, and I can see where and when fish come thru. And get this...I catch fish!!!  lol.. I don't really see what more a guy needs in a sonar flasher.  Haha.  Good luck.

You should charge it after each and every outing ...it will improve the life of the battery

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fillets-4-days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:51 PM »
thanks bud.  great info.  much appreciated.
"What beautiful 'Eyes  you have"

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Check out the ice version of the Lowrance Elite 4X or the same basic fish finder, now called the Hook 4x.  I've been real happy with mine.  It has a boat fish finder type of display, with sonar returns marching across the screen from right to left, so you can see about 15 seconds of sonar history in a glance, and can see fish rising and descending in the water.  It picks up even very small lures and snap hooks, so you can position your lure at the depth of fish you see on the fish finder.

Another option is the Marcum Showdown fish finders, which have a vertical tower display which shows real time sonar returns.  I have one and like it a lot, although I have trouble getting it to show small lures.

I'm not used to using "Flasher" style fish finders with circular displays, and find the two fish finders described above easier to use.  But if you get a flasher style fish finder, I'm sure you'll figure it out and get used to it.

Offline tsherm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:04 PM »
after reading all the posts, I feel a little more informed....I haven't done a ton of research yet but will in the near future.....Is this something that a guy can find and save money by getting in the off season?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:54 PM »
after reading all the posts, I feel a little more informed....I haven't done a ton of research yet but will in the near future.....Is this something that a guy can find and save money by getting in the off season?

Most ice fishing gear is depleted before the seasons end  ...via sales pre/post ...discounts and clearance ..and discontinued items.. off season in my experience is nothing but jigs and rod combos.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:32 PM »
If you watch Michigan or North Dakota craigslist some really great deals come up but you have to figure out shipping
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Craigslist is a great place to find good units a step or two above what you can buy new. For your first flasher you might not need the extra options but once you get to know your flasher you will love the extra features like dual beam, zoom, digital depth, etc.

Offline fish?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:33 PM »
Bottom zoom seems most important

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:12 AM »
Bottom zoom seems most important
Bottom zoom is a great feature.   :tipup:

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:32 PM »
I wouldn't buy one unless it had the bottom zoom feature. Being able to see what is going on in those last few feet of water is paramount. I personally have a vexilar fl-22 that is now 4 years old and hasn't failed me yet and I don't expect it to. Operator error is more often too blame than the equipment.   

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Is this something that a guy can find and save money by getting in the off season?

Glen's (see the sponsor bar at the top) has Vexilar stuff on sale now.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:44 AM »
That is where I got mine. Great service and after the sale help as well. I have purchased several pieces of ice fishing equipment. Never had a problem with them. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.