Author Topic: What do you carry on your Sled / ATV for ice fishng  (Read 865 times)

Offline Rideauman

• IceShanty Rookie
What do you carry on your Sled / ATV for ice fishng
« on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Hi all, I about to reconfigure my ATV for ice fishing, just wondering what do most of you carry with you, equipment, supplies and cook ware and or what ever you think we need.
So far I have my auger, flasher, rods, ice scoop, tackle, bait bucket, flotation suit (which sits in a plastic tub should I feel the need).

What all do you carry

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What do you carry on your Sled / ATV for ice fishng
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:28 AM »
I carry a few of the round metal rod style rod holders that trap your rod if a fish pulls. I also bring an insulated jug, the kind you use for picnics. I use it for minnows and keep a plastic minnow scoop in it. I bring a knife and a bunch of baggies as well. Also a roll of toilet paper.
A steel Stanley thermos for coffee sometimes. That's pretty much it.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Your profile does not say where you are from, so a lot of this may not so much apply if you are in a popluated area, don't have to navigate any bush trails, don't get much snow, have cell phone coverage.....

Most of my fishing is done off of a snowmachine, but early and late in the ice season I do use a 4-wheeler and take all the same equipment, including the usual fishing items.  A small rescue shovel (handle retracts, nice for clearing snow around holes or digging out), axe, small limb saw, jump starter, Masdam rope winch, length of rope, an 18" piece of metal fence post with a ring attached to put down in a ice hole to use as an anchor to winch too, vice grips, small crescent wrench, straight and phillips screw drivers, zip ties, towels to dry your hands, GPS, extra batteries, fold-up director's chair, communications device.  This is a lot of stuff, but at one time or the other I use it all.

I wear my float suit all the time if there is even a question about the ice, I fell through 3 years ago and it did hold me up, I am a believer, the suits do work but won't do you much good sitting in a bucket.

Offline Rideauman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Both of you, Snakehunter and Skywagon, make good points. I like the idea of the insulated bucket for the minnows. Skywagon you point about the flotation suit is good advice for anyone, I do wear it if the ice is in any way questionable or if I am on unfamiliar water. I few of the items you mention I do carry at all times on the atv; such as, folding saw, rope, etc. I really like the point bout the section of fence post for an anchor, brilliant.

I am located in the Westport, Ontario area. I have a number of smallerlakes all around and some large ones. Today I am heading over to North Bay to go to my nephews cottage for a couple of days of fishing there and then up to New Liskard to a camp there to go for some Speckles and Splake.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Like Snakehunter, I use a large thermos to put minnows in (at times) but the downside to that is, in really cold weather the top will freeze up on the threads and it takes some beating to break the ice on them enough to unscrew the top, the upside is that there is no water leakage.  One solution for minnows is a 6 pack cooler, cut a piece of something to fit the inside that is somewhat flixble that you can push down from the top to keep the water from slushing out, works good and easy to get in to with a minnow scoop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.