The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Higgins Lake Info  (Read 15682 times)

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
Re: Higgins Lake Info
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Drove around the entire Lake today. It is completely froze from end to end. I didn't see anyone on the North or West side at all. I had my boy with me so I didn't check the ice thickness. We are suppose to get dumped on tonight though. I hope they're wrong. We don't need a foot of snow on the ice before it gets thick enough. I'll try to get out Thursday and check thickness. There were a few shanties on the South end though.
[IMG]

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Good to hear, just put out the permanant on the local lake down here. Yeah, let's hope the snow doesn't screw too much up. :-\
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:31 PM »
  I was up there around 2 or 3 oclock to day and if anyone was out there with a snowmobile they were not leaving any tracks. There was about 4 inches by the west side landing. I watched a guy auger a hole 20 or 30 feet off shore and it took him 2 or 3 turns to go thru. The bait shop reported 4 to 5 inches of ice this afternoon. Bill was out checking it when I stopped in. There was one shanty out from Big Creek quite aways out so the time is near.

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:37 PM »
  I was up there around 2 or 3 oclock to day and if anyone was out there with a snowmobile they were not leaving any tracks.
My uncle had his snowmobile out on 8" E. Side of lake. Not much snow on lake, He said.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Hi all, I'm heading up to Higgy in the morning for a 4 day weekend filled w/ fun ,family, and ice fishing. Last I heard there was 9-10" on S, SE side of lake and 5-6" of ice on N, NE side of lake. I have no idea whats on the NW or W by the smeltgrounds but I would imagine close to 6" by this weekend. I will be home Mon. late afternoon and post some  information for ya all. If you don't hear from me ,it means the fishing was spectacular and I'm not telling. :laugh:
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Good luck to ya, Sightfisher. Cancelling plans to go to HIggins next weekend. $$ situation is tight. So my friend and I decided we are going to do a day trip out to either St. Clair, Saginaw river, or the bay. Rich or broke, I'm still going to be fishing somewhere!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2008, 03:17 PM »
I have noticed a TON of interest concerning Higgins lately, here's some helpful information.
Bait stores:
                 Sports Barn 989-821-9511
                 Higgins Lake Bait & Tackle 989-821-9517
Lodging and Motels:
                  Fawn motel(if open still)989-821-6658
                  Northwind motel 989-821-6972
                  Great Escape 989-821-6343
Chamber of Commerce:
                   989-275-8760
Hope this is of help...See ya on the ice.                       Jay
I noticed people looking for info recently...

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:57 PM »
I noticed people looking for info recently...

Hey Sightfisher you don't even know where Higgins lake is ??? and you think you can give out info now ;)2  :laugh: .

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Hey Sightfisher you don't even know where Higgins lake is ??? and you think you can give out info now ;)2  :laugh: .
Where is that lake again? Oh Yeah, thats right its  next to my cottage. Very funny Higgins. Hope to see ya up there next weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.