Author Topic: lowrance hook 5 ice machine fish finder GPS  (Read 703 times)

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
lowrance hook 5 ice machine fish finder GPS
« on: Dec 05, 2023, 07:27 AM »
Hello Ice fisherman & woman
   I recently purchased a Lowrance hook 5 ice machine fishfinder Gps, the preloaded maps of lakes and ponds were not very detailed and not all of them had contour lines at all ?, So I bought a Navionics micro card of lakes and ponds of the northeast off of eBay, however when I put it in the machine it freezes the machine ?  I have called Lowrance several times but they just ask for all the details of the machine model# serial # ect. and say it should work. My question is do you have to be a member ? Or do I have to do something to the micro card, it is all new to me and I was hoping some of you may have some input on why it freezes my machine ?  Or why it does not work ? I know I should have bought the newer model that it is already preloaded but it is a bit late for that now LOL/  Any help would be greatly appreciated      Thank you

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lowrance hook 5 ice machine fish finder GPS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2023, 08:11 AM »
No idea but even my newer Helix 9 can take a very long time to load certain map cards, like 2 or 3 minutes. If you buy the card it shouldn't require subscription at all. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2023, 08:37 AM »
I had a hook 9 on my boat, it was terrible, freezing the screen alot, I brought it back to West marine and bought a
Garmin.. best move I ever made.. When the hook did work, it had a great screen picture, but it was too inconsistant to be reliable.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2023, 08:41 AM »
Thank you Ruccus -Jethro
   I have tried waiting for 10 minutes and it is still frozen ?  Maybe the nature of the beast with the SD cards works fine until I insert the card it freezes instantly , Thank you both for your input

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2023, 09:10 AM »
Do you have the latest version of the software installed ..

https://www.lowrance.com/downloads/

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2023, 09:20 AM »
 Yes I did that, but Thank you for the info,   "hard water diehard" very much appreciated  I just was hoping  to get it resolved if possible before the ice is in

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2023, 09:22 AM »
Hope Lowrance can help you out ...I am not familiar with Lowrance or their customer service.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2023, 10:29 AM »
I had a hook 9 on my boat, it was terrible, freezing the screen alot, I brought it back to West marine and bought a
Garmin.. best move I ever made.. When the hook did work, it had a great screen picture, but it was too inconsistant to be reliable.

This came up recently on a similar thread....Navionics + Garmin play well together....others sometimes not so much.

When in doubt or if all else fails, do what Roccus says... :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.