Author Topic: Open water  (Read 959 times)

Offline Jacktrapfever36

• IceShanty Rookie
Open water
« on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:28 PM »
With open water fishing opening this weekend, I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any place on Winni or Merrymeeting to get on the water. I'm well aware the boat won't be in but maybe the canoe? Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Open water
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:46 PM »
 ;D ::) Wolfboro bay will be open and the birds are already chasing the shallow smelt!!
Dick

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2017, 03:42 PM »
;D ::) Wolfboro bay will be open and the birds are already chasing the shallow smelt!!
Dick
The smelt were shallow all over the lake until a few days ago, I believe things have turned, as  smelt in several shallow  areas have moved on. Couldn`t find a shallow smelt anywhere the last few days.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Wolfboro bay is open? Alton bay was almost 100% locked this weekend when I drove by. I would find it hard to believe there will be much open water on Saturday.

I think I am going to try the merrymeeting river (I think) that runs into Alton bay this weekend I just need to figure out how to fly fish. I think you could find some open water at all the usual places where water is flowing but I think it will be limited. I am not very familiar with merrymeeting, but I heard the edges were going last week.

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Dick
I highly doubt it will be open. It was pretty solid on Sunday. Maybe around the river that goes under the road but that will be it
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline PapaMurphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:34 PM »
I pulled my cusk lines this past weekend from Merrymeeting. Work forces such actions. Only open water we saw was along the dam and way out back running along south shore. Saturday night we drilled into 10" of ice.

Offline Sesuit7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Just an idea that used to work for me....where there's moving water you really don't need to "cast a fly".  There's a couple bridges in those mentioned areas where you can simply drop a streamer in and let the water do most of the work for you while you give it some slight movement.   Looks just like a smelt....caught many fish in my younger years doing this cause I have no clue how to cast that dang thing!!!!!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Center harbor still has 16"

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2017, 05:42 AM »
Wolfboro bay is open? Alton bay was almost 100% locked this weekend when I drove by. I would find it hard to believe there will be much open water on Saturday.

I think I am going to try the merrymeeting river (I think) that runs into Alton bay this weekend I just need to figure out how to fly fish. I think you could find some open water at all the usual places where water is flowing but I think it will be limited. I am not very familiar with merrymeeting, but I heard the edges were going last week.

Probably will be shoulder to shoulder on the bridge and you have some open water at the Town docks, but fishing off the swim platform or the Mount Washington dock can get you a ticket by pd for trespassing. Good luck everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.