Author Topic: Smaller Lakes Moultonborough area  (Read 1073 times)

Offline ice_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Smaller Lakes Moultonborough area
« on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Wondering if anyone in the Moultonborough area knows the conditions of the smaller lakes for the ice and shorelines. Lee's Pond, Berry Pond to name a couple?

Offline Sesuit7

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smaller Lakes Moultonborough area
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 AM »
A week and a half ago they were ice racing on berry. Lots of vehicles driving on.  Access at the car top ramp near the police/fire buildings.   Shoreline still looked solid as of last Sunday.  Lots of ruts and humps from those tires so I'd suggest bringing the cleats!!!!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Since Moultonborough Bay had 18 inches of ice this past weekend, I can't see smaller ponds being any worse for wear.

I don't know if they were racing this past weekend, but they did plow a parking area on Berry Pond on Saturday.

This time of year is hard to gauge because of the temperature changes that will occur on a regular basis.
If a body of water had a solid base of ice as of March 1st, it's a good bet that it should be intact now.
The problem you will encounter is whether the shore is stable enough to get out onto the ice.

Just remember that on "special designation" waters, the season ends on April 1st.

That doesn't mean there won't still be ice around for Easter, just that getting to it will be the challenge.

All in all, I'd start planning for open water season, and get my gear in order.

Above all else, stay SAFE and DRY!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 12:08 PM »

I don't know if they were racing this past weekend, but they did plow a parking area on Berry Pond on Saturday.

I saw a video on FB from the races on Berry Pond from this past Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/LRIRC/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:13 AM »
With the weather that is in the forecast right now, the season should be completely over BEFORE the weekend.
With temps in the upper 40's to low 50's and sun or rain, the ice will be going quickly.

Maybe not the main body of ice (in some areas) but the shores should be gone in no time!

Now I the time we start wishing for warmer weather to completely open up the ponds and lakes!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:25 AM »
 ::) :tipup:  Sad when southern fishermen get burned out early and just hope for early ice out??    I love open water fishing but I'm still on over a foot of ice here in the White Mountains?    Swap to myfishfinder rather than trying to depress me on the shanty?
Dick

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:52 AM »
::) :tipup:  Sad when southern fishermen get burned out early and just hope for early ice out??    I love open water fishing but I'm still on over a foot of ice here in the White Mountains?    Swap to myfishfinder rather than trying to depress me on the shanty?
Dick

2 feet not far from you Dick and the edges were in great shape. Hanging in as long as I can.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:51 PM »
Dick
I totally agree....im still fishing on plenty of ice on lakes from Gilmanton to Tamworth. I'm from southern NH and I have no problem finding good ice. You got to want it.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:50 PM »
I totally agree....im still fishing on plenty of ice on lakes from Gilmanton to Tamworth. I'm from southern NH and I have no problem finding good ice. You got to want it.

X2

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2017, 11:08 AM »
That's fine if you live in or near the area, and can commit all the time to fishing, but it's a 3 hour drive for me and I have to work during the week, so I will be focusing more on open water conditions down here (MA).

I didn't want to come off as a doom & gloom kind of person, except when it affects my chances at fishing.

My concerns were with the "big" lakes, where ice season ends on Saturday. If you can find smaller bodies of water that provide safe access and good action, I would definitely say "Hell, it 's far from over!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.