Author Topic: Lake winnipauskee and lake winnisquam  (Read 5413 times)

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake winnipauskee and lake winnisquam
« on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:52 AM »
New at fishing lake trout and getting frustrated. I have been going ice fishing just about every other day now and cannot even get a bit! Can anyone recommend a spot I can try that will give me a chance to at least get a bit... Thanks for the help!

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake winnipauskee and lake winnisquam
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:40 AM »
I don't want to be mean... but all four of your posts are exactly the same: Where can I find fish?

First off, nobody is going to give you their "secret spot" ... second, a bunch of people offered you suggestions before.

I can understand the frustration, but that's part of fishing. If you're putting your bait near the bottom in 20-50 feet in either of those lakes you're probably in a good enough spot. If you're not catching anything, move around and try a different spot. You'll find them. That's part of the fun in fishing -- finding your own spot.

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I don't mean to be annoying or rude, I just didn't know if I was it the right spot or not. Yesterday I was fishing and marked only 2 fish on my vexilar and they chased my jig for like 30secs to 1min then left they never bit or came back, is that normal? I was in about 60-65 foot of water. I fished for about 3-4 hours

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Let the fish dictate what they want. If their not taking the bait. change up the presentation. More or less aggressive jigging action. Make them chase it a bit. Change up the lures you use. Try different spots, different depths. Then repeat. Welcome to the wonderful world of ice fishing for trout. Sucks don't it. I'm working at it myself.

Also, go to the trout board and spend about say 6 hours reading and taking notes. Bring them with you to refer back to on the ice. I keep mine in my phone. And when someone speaks that has a wealth on knowledge on the subject, shut up and listen. Some of the best info I've got is from the guys on this board. Don't burn bridges. ;D
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2014, 01:58 PM »
 ??? ???
Check F&G depth map!    Find flat area 30-50 ft. deep with nearby drop off into deeper water.   After drilling lots of holes and placing two tipups just off the bottom with smelt on #6 hooks.   You'll have lots of extra holes to check with your vexilar so check them all for fish. 
The vexilar and the tipups will help you locate laker spots.   If you locate a good spot than you should pull one tipup and go with the jig and sucker belly.   Don't sit around and wait for the fish to come to you.  That's how successful  laker fishermen have found their hot spots.
Once you have found a really good laker spot you can come back and tell everyone where it is ::) :'(

Good luck and keep trying.
Dick

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:21 PM »
if i have any luck i will tell you... just got some zoom super fluke swim baits that looks just like a smelt going to give it a try tomorrow. i also might give pearch and crappie a try if no luck with lakers :) :tipup:

Offline LunkahHuntah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Yesterday I was fishing and marked only 2 fish on my vexilar and they chased my jig for like 30secs to 1min then left they never bit or came back, is that normal? I was in about 60-65 foot of water. I fished for about 3-4 hours

This was happening to me a lot at the beginning of the season and I realized I was being kind of a dummie for using such big jigs.  I downsized considerably and have been getting a lot more hits from those chasers.  Pretty fun playing cat and mouse with them on the finder.  Some days the bigger jigs seem to work fine but then others when they are being "fussy," smaller will definitely help.

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:17 PM »
great to know thanks! what do you use? i was using bucktail jig with piece of sucker meat..

Offline LunkahHuntah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:56 PM »
great to know thanks! what do you use? i was using bucktail jig with piece of sucker meat..

This is my first year fishing lakers too and I made quite a few full day trips before landing one.  I mostly use soft plastic tube jigs in white or clear with a 1/4oz jig head, tipped with a smelt/shiner head or a piece of sucker.  The 3 inch or 2 3/4 tubes are perfect if you can find them.  I've been using bucktails and spoons occasionally too but most times I haven't seen much of a need to switch away from the tube.  They seem to get the most interest on the finder in my limited experiences. 

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I was in about 60-65 foot of water. I fished for about 3-4 hours

You might be a little too deep. There are certainly lakers that deep... and I've caught them that deep... but I do much better around 35 or 40 feet. And, 3-4 hours is just getting started.  ;)

Offline Squeeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:01 PM »
I've been ice fishing since I was 5 years old and this is the first year I've ever caught lakers. Thats almost 30 years of fishing before I either got lucky enough to ice a few....or maybe I'm finally learning something :) Dont let it get you down. Fishing is very discouraging sometimes. Well if you are like me... its discouraging most of the time! Be persistant and keep learning. The days that you ARE successful make all the frustration well worth it.

Hell I got skunked today! Caught 1 dink perch all damn day! But you can bet your life imma be back on the ice at sunrise tomorrow mornin  :thumbsup:

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Hell I got skunked today! Caught 1 dink perch all damn day!

so you didn't get skunked!!!    ;)

Offline Squeeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:29 PM »
"Alwayyyys look on the briiiite side of life"  :whistle:

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:32 PM »
603 - I wish I could help but I've been ice fishing winni a grand total of 1 weekend (hopefully that will change in the next few years)...

me and my buddy did find lakers... they were on a 25-35ft flat/gradual drop that rose up sharply on one side to a 5-10ft rocky flat.. and dropped off sharply to about 40-50 ft on the other side.  This was on a secondary bay off the main lake

we were using small baits for white perch... 1/8oz jig heads and 1" soft plastics... 

we were targeting whites so that kept us busy...the 10 or so lakers we picked up in 1-1/2 days were just a very nice bonus... if we had been targeting lakers Im sure we would have been skunked.   ;D

this was early March last year

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Bring more beer.... 3 hours!!!! REALLY! Thought you were fishing not taking a few cast in the river on the ride home... Put you time in....

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Went out agian to day and nothing, I got a fish that chased my jig for 5 minutes but never bit I thought for sure he was going to bit because he came flying up to it and stuck around. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the jig I use isn't that big so I don't think size is the problem, any other type of jigs should I use?

Offline Squeeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Are you just going out blind to random places? Or have you consulted bathymetry (depth/contour) maps for spots that likely hold fish? Do you own a sonar unit?

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:06 PM »
hey man, if you wanna catch lakers , know your fish. read up on habitat. study a decent lake map you can get at martel's. you're jigging, then be persistent and stick with it. hook up with those that go and learn what they do. the two lakes you mention are loaded with lake trout. if you put time in, you'll get some

Offline Forestviewwilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:35 PM »
You will always have tough times but if your looking to go out fishing and get lakers within 3 hours... Good luck, stay persistant and jig from sun up to sundown winni can be tough but you will get it. There is nothing like seeing a laker drain you jig spool!

Keep your chin up! :)

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:46 PM »
603- It is better to be humble than proud. Thanks for asking.

I get some of my best knowledge about fishing and hunt through asking the folks I look up to in the subject. A friend of mine is a member of this site, and He is one of the best outdoorsmen I know. At times I feel a bit invasive asking for tips on how he gets it done, but he has always been generous enough to share some info and help me become a better hunter, fesherman.... As Im sure he did at one time.

Im sure if we all take a step back, we can remember when we were learning a subject... and were not sucessful, we asked for help on it, til we were able to put the pieces together for ourselves. Pretty sure thats what 603 is doing now. again and again, but he's persistant ;)

That being said - 603, listen to everyone here who is providing value added information. Put it in your memory bank - or smartphone. don't be quick to pass off advice if you don't beleive it to be true. go with some freinds who have had success. You will find your groove, but Lakers can be tough to get into.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, here is what I have tied on almost always, and I have (in my limited experience) had success with lake trout. Tube jug on one rod, and a rapala jig on another. If they are chasing but no strikes, try the rap jig. Seems to work for me. Its small, irratic and get their attention.

Just my $.02
Chasing Ice

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Went out agian to day and nothing, I got a fish that chased my jig for 5 minutes but never bit I thought for sure he was going to bit because he came flying up to it and stuck around. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the jig I use isn't that big so I don't think size is the problem, any other type of jigs should I use?

maybe they are female fish and like teasing you LOL Sorry Ladies just kiddin   try chumming a little. chum the holes that you are seeing them on and come back later and they may be more apt to bite thinking the chum was ok maybe the lure will be as well. good luck. P.S. I fish Winnisquam yesterday with my boy and we both got skunked. wecome to the sport. you gotta take the good with the bad.
PB

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Thanks for the support!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:38 AM »
Hi 603, I read your entire post and my 2 cents is that you're way too deep.  Trout are cold water species so in the summer fish at the thermocline an hour or two around the light changes.  This is when the bait fish are feeding.  As with every other type of fishing, you have to figure out what they are feeding on.  That will dictate your bait and presentation.  In the winter, the water column flips.  Cold water species run just below the ice and warm water species go deeper.  For Lakers, they will go deeper went not actively feeding to conserve energy.  Combine their habitat with the right food source then match your bait and you will get your fish.  The fish don't care how many days you have fished, you need keep working.  I drill and drill and drill more then vex depth and camera the bottom before I drop bait.  Good luck.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline HardTellinNotKnowin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:03 AM »
I am by no means an expert but I started fishing 3 years ago and have iced about 30 lakers in about 8 outings.  Guess what? I got skunked Saturday at the derby on Winni and I know why.  The pressure was too high and the spot I was fishing in had too much pressure.  I should have moved but I only had a hand auger and didn't want to drill the 30-40 holes I usually drill to locate active/feeding lakers to jig.  Once I drilled over 50 holes and only managed 2 lakers in a 9 hours of fishing.  A good tactic that I found last year is double jigging.  Drill two holes about 6 feet apart (in a place you studied before going out and believe is good for lakers**) Jig both holes with two different rods, one in right hand and one in left hand.  Alternate slow raises and drops and pauses.  I have had success with this tecnique when fish just don't seem to want to bite.  I think it gets them excited and can produce a bite from an otherwise picky fish. 

**Follow what others have recommended 30-40 FOW on a relatively flat area.  DRILL TONS OF HOLES AND USE YOUR ELECTRONICS.  You'll find one that's ready to bite.  Also remember to jig slowly sometimes just bouncing the rod tip 1/16" 3-6 feet off bottom can help.

GOOD LUCK!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:41 PM »
get you some holes out there and chum em up a bit but don't over chum, bounce around them . i hit my holes with electronics to aide me in finding the fish.
How well do you know the lakes you fish? if well, than you'll be fine. if not, learn the lake and put your time in. I use bucktails only, seldom do i set tip ups in the water. On winnisquam this year, i have done well by being persistent and experimenting with new areas. once i find a jig that works, i stick with it and always use sucker meat and nothing else.

Jigging works well, my fish totals are ahead of last year mostly due knowing the areas  i fish and sticking with proven methods that work for me. it takes time but you too will discover what works best and when you do, stick with it

Offline 603icelaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips! How do you find your spots on lake winnisquam? I just got this app on my phone that shows maps of the lakes ann I am going to try out ahern state park area.. Have you had any luck over there this season ?

Offline winnisquamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:56 AM »
ahern is usually crowded on the weekends. I like finding some quiet spots with laker structure and going after em!

Offline Jimbows

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips! How do you find your spots on lake winnisquam? I just got this app on my phone that shows maps of the lakes ann I am going to try out ahern state park area.. Have you had any luck over there this season ?
                                   Any kind of structure is good. If there is a good drop off, or a "sunken island" and you are fishing between 30-45 ft of water with a silty bottom you should have a decent time fish there. Feel free to PM me, I'm not an expert and I'm not super experienced but I can share with you my own experiences and what I've learned from research and talking to people. God luck out there!
Catch n' release!

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I might piss some guys off but if you can get out to Pot Island area you should be able to get into some lakers. Three Islands area also good ,look for structure.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Nice Jimbows "sunken island" you must be talking about Newfie.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.