The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Strange find  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Strange find
« on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:59 AM »
While fishing this morning i found this guy

Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strange find
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:09 AM »
That's odd

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Yea hes got a big gash in his side im thinking maybe hit by a car... Either that or he fell through ice and drowned...  All his hair is worn off.... Damn nice buck tho

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Either is possible, very nice buck.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Definitely not something you see everyday, that’s for sure.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Looks like his chute didn’t open......
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:25 PM »
I actually called the dnr to see if i can legally take the antlers and they said no... Which seems odd but ok i suppose...

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Gut shot.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:45 PM »
A strange find for sure. A little bit late for him to still have antlers. Since he's got no hair, maybe he died a couple months ago, stayed frozen, then now with the rain and thaw shows up.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Yea i was thinking he died a long while ago.... You cant see from the pic but its a huge rack very wide.... When the water goes down more ill get closer pics of him... He dont look to be going anywhere lol

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:17 PM »
The DNR should be able to issue a "Salvage permit", but you will have to take the whole deer. Give the carcass to a coyote hunter for bait.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:22 PM »
You dont need a roadkill tag anymore.i loaded one up right in front of a police officer.he said you dont need a tag anymore to pick up deer off the roads.seems like a similar situation.but yeah you have to take the whole thing.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:51 PM »
Yea im not taking the whole thing ..... No thanks lol he didnt stink from a distance but i gsruntee you poke at him and he becomes gnarly

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:05 AM »
You dont need a roadkill tag anymore.i loaded one up right in front of a police officer.he said you dont need a tag anymore to pick up deer off the roads.seems like a similar situation.but yeah you have to take the whole thing.

The police wouldn't even come out when my wife hit a deer with her jeep last fall.  Said they would log it and if there was any issues with insurance call them back to get the log number and no need for salvage tag they had it logged.  More of an inconvenience these days than worrying about getting things right.

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:08 PM »
In the spring time where we live if you take a tin boat out right after the ice goes out there is no algae growing yet and sometimes you can spot dead deer on the bottom of the lake from falling through the ice.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:55 AM »
Not sure what you mean by getting something right. It is a waste of time and resources to write a report that nobody needs or will ever read. Did your insurance company require a police report. So if things weren't right, what went wrong? The question is rhetorical. I am pleased to see the police using their man power and our tax dollars wisely.

Years ago I hit a deer with my car. When I went to get a report written I had my work truck. I had to come back with the car as they would not write it with out seeing the car. Funny part of that accident was that I got stopped for a head light out in town. The ex of my wife at that time was riding with the cop getting a kick out of me getting stopped I am sure. We were coming back from having supper and a few drinks with friends. I only had a couple of beers all night long as I was driving. The cop kept asking where I was coming from. I was tempted to tell him none of his business. I finally told him and that I only had two beers in three or four hours.

Her ex was a former cop. When a county deputy found out I was dating her he told me to watch my back as her ex was a crooked cop. I found out later that the deputy was telling the truth. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.