Author Topic: Tip ups for crappies  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip ups for crappies
« on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:41 AM »
So I'm wondering if anyone uses tip ups with any success for crappies at night any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
Re: Tip ups for crappies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I bought some HT tip ups for a pretty good price, the orange ones. I find that the normal light trip setting is a little much for crappie since they always ddrop after tripping flag so instead of setting the flag into one of the notches, as you normally would, I put it on the very edge of the T. The smooth part and make sure that it is just barely on there. It's so light that your fathead will set it off haha
I am going to try using tip downs now. I was dead sticking the heck out of em the other night.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Tip Downs are the way to go ...I have one or two H frame style tip ups with really smooth trips that seem to work for crappie ...but not my go to .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Yeah I figured just more lines In the water set them up around the shanty I'm just starting out and like the idea of fishing at night

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:09 PM »
X2 on the tip downs and have used them for years but take a look at Finicky Fooler tip ups. Just started using them this year and they are really awesome and you can adjust the sensitivity of the trip mechanism from light biting panfish to using heavy bait for pike.
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2017, 02:16 PM »
....... Finicky fooler, now that is a little nifty thing isn't it? Thanks for sharing that. Might get 1 or 2 to try out

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2017, 03:45 PM »
They work REALLY well! Plus right now they are on sale and Tom the owner is very helpful if you have any questions. There are some more videos about tips and tricks on youtube
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Yeah I figured just more lines In the water set them up around the shanty I'm just starting out and like the idea of fishing at night

If your fishing at night you have to keep the tip downs close ...good head lamp and some reflective tape is your friend...if you have some tip ups  you can place them out further to cover water/area ...if they trip and you miss the fish ...I would set up jigging that hole ...then surround your "hot" hole with your tip up and tip downs ...use them as "decoy baits" higher in the water column . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2017, 08:41 PM »
I have a Bite Me Box tip up that has such a light tripping the fish don't feel it at all! I love the one I have and want to get another! they are a bit pricy, but sure worth it!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Love the finicky foolers , caught some big crappies on them last year.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02:42 PM »
My friend caught a 16" crappie yesterday on a tip up set up for walleye with a 4-1/2" sucker minnow. I never heard of such a thing, must have been one hungry crappie. He is having it mounted, he said it was 9" across the back top to bottom.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02:49 PM »
tip downs are more effictive on smaller fish

Chute82

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:25 AM »
My friend caught a 16" crappie yesterday on a tip up set up for walleye with a 4-1/2" sucker minnow. I never heard of such a thing, must have been one hungry crappie. He is having it mounted, he said it was 9" across the back top to bottom.

I caught a 15” crappie yesterday with a 4” creek chub on my tip up set for walleye.. could believe it

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:21 AM »
I caught a 15” crappie yesterday with a 4” creek chub on my tip up set for walleye.. could believe it

One thing about tip ups ...you can get a end of day surprise...sometimes a crappie will get hooked and not trip the flag ..with tip downs you will be able to determine the schools movement across a flat etc.. as they set them off

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2017, 11:38 AM »
you guys should check out the iFish Pro. it's a rod holder with a tipup flag system. super effective for smaller, lighter-biting species like crappie and bluegill. the jawjacker is also pretty nice, it has a tension setting on the trigger that allows light-biting fish to trip the trap

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.