Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Macbride Report  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Macbride Report
« on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Here is what has been going on around Macbride Lately...
Start it off with a wiper report.

They're back, and so are we!!! I have dreampt of this day many times during the open water season. Ice is finally upon us, and the drags really sang songs today!!

Jeremy Crawford with a 7lbs BRUTE!

This is quite possibly, no definitely ice fishing at its best here in the midwest. I simply cannot describe the amount of fun these fish are to find, pattern, catch, and release! 

Beautiful Macbride Wiper

As I was stating earlier, I found these fish early ice last year, and we had a fishing spree for over two weeks each night. I have long dreampt when this day would return...the return of the wiper!!

Silver/Blue Foil Lightning Spoon Victim

The pattern from last year holds true this year. Find the bait fish, and you will find the predator fish = locate shad, and you will catch catfish, wipers, and walleyes.  Andy Craig, Jeremy Crawford, and I started early this morning, with little luck early in the day on other bodies of water. We decided to give it a go at macbride. We hit the lake around 2:00 pm. I fired up my strike lite and began punching holes. Jeremy followed with his LX-3 checking the holes to find the break. Soon enough, his flasher showed the tell tale sign of WIPERS!
The hot baits for us this year are the same from last year. Big fish honors goes to Jeremy, he was using a blue/silver foil lightning spoon in 1/8 ounce. I was using a 1/4 ounce sivler/blue slender spoon.

Jeremy with another Iowa beauty

These fish have a special spot in my book- They have an unbelievable attitude that will put any drag system to the test. I have never watched any game fish hit a bait through the ice with this much ferocity. Andy, and Jeremy- thanks for sharing a slab of ice with me today- Today will go down in the ice fishing memory books forever!

Please remember to CPR (Catch, Photo, Release) with these fish, they are too much fun to eat!

Good Luck, Stay safe, and we'll see you on the water!

And a crappie Report-

Beautiful Iowa White Crappie/Froggie Diamond Jig

In Iowa, we have learned that if there is ice, you better be fishing! And nothing rings truer for myself. If there is ice, I am fishing! We just had a major cold front swing through yesterday, like most of the midwest, and fishing should have been slow, but that was far from reality!

Predator Macbride Bass

Today I was joined on the water by Andy Craig and Tony Paglia. Here is fellow staffer Andy Craig with a healthy predator bass that has been caught before. This fish hit the same presentation that Andy was using to catch the crappie, a green chartreuse ratso.

I would like to take a moment and talk about the overall balance of Lake Macbride. I believe the panfish are becoming healthier because the lake overall is becoming healthier. This year, some of the biggest/fattest bass in years were getting caught and released at Macbride. These big predatory fish are keeping some of the panfish in line, allowing some of these white crappies to grow to magnum size!

Magnum Macbride Crappie

With a high of five degrees, and a nasty -30 windchill, the game plan for today was much different than that of the weekend. Normally, I don't fish inside of a house, but that Otter Lodge sure helped us ice fish today. It was even a little too windy for me out there.

Our focus was to locate key structure that fish were holding on and to find the most aggressive fish relating to that structure. Saturday the most aggressive fish seemed to be holding in 10-12 feet of water, suspended over 20 feet of water. Today the most aggressive, dominate crappies were coming in 17 feet of water, hugging tight to the bottom. It took quite a few holes, but eventually we set up shop in the most active area. Boy was it fun fishing in the shack sitting on top of a honey hole!

Tony and I caught our fish on the Froggie Diamond Jig, and Andy Caught his fish on ratso's.

Perfect Eating Size

We are running anywhere from 5-7" of ice as of yesterday. The snow coming today should stop ice production, but at least there is a good base layer of ice for now.

Tony and I kept each kept three smaller fish tonight for a meal, remember to release those bigger fish, so we can enjoy great ice fishing in Iowa for years to come!!

Good luck, stay safe, and we'll see you on the hard water!

Couple more randoms...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Macbride Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:13 PM »
 Nice fish, i saw your thread on IO and you had better luck with your pictures here. You have great posts.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:48 PM »
very nice Luke. those wipers look like they would be a riot  :tipup:

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline CRANGLER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Hey Luke i believe you captured a picture of my frabill trekker in the background of one of your wiper pics! Did u happen to notice a bright yellow avalanche in the parkin lot? i dont want to give away the spot by trying to see if it was you.

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:12 AM »
Hmm, I didn't notice a yellow avalanche...doesn't mean it wasn't there though.  I really don't pay much attention to my surroundings...just keep my nose on fish. ;D

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Some of the best fishing reports I ever read are from this Luke guy on ice.   

Guess I better find this McBride puddle.

Walking or ATV?
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:50 AM »
Most of it is walking distance...the ice is safe enough for atv/sled travel now.  We are going to be filming the wiper bite tomorrow, and I will be using my snowmobile to travel...as there is enough snow on the ice!  Thanks for the kind words!

Offline dpcfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Very impressive,
Keep em coming Luke
You've got a fan here

Offline hotbites

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Yea must be nice to still live at home.  I would have all the toys and the time to play with them too. 

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Hmm...I live in ely, Iowa, and it definitely isn't with my parents if that is what you meant by "living at home"...

classy first post though...and welcome to iceshanty!

Offline Steven Krapfl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:50 PM »
HEY LUKE!! I figure now when I make a post you'll know it.  Oh, and by the way, nice FISH!!! ;D

Offline Crappiekila

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:53 AM »
I just moved to Illinois and the ice is slow here of course. I used to live in CR and tried McBride several time finding fish just not the whoppers like you had in the pics. Coming back for the holidays and hope to get a chance to get out, at least I know they are there just need to work a little harder I guess. Great post!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Yea must be nice to still live at home.  I would have all the toys and the time to play with them too. 

Yeah dude, c`mon. Theres better ways to respond than this.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hotbites

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:42 PM »
I'm sorry luke :(  I was just wandering if there was a site I didn't have to read about your report and how well you did.  I can't imagine why everyone fishes out there and none the less all the same brush piles.  It's nice to have some good fishing.  Its only been years.  By the way I wouldn't be scared to say that the majority of the nice crappies being caught are from just over the dam. 

Just wondering if there isn't anyone you havent told :)

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:15 AM »
If I remember correctly, and you are who I think you are- then you used to do the same when you caught fish.  Paul Sleeper (head fisheries biologist for the DNR) is a good friend of mine, and trust me when I say the lake's health is of a major concern of mine.  I never give spots, and you can't tell from any of my pictures where I am fishing.  I talked to over 20 guys on saturday who had zero fish, so it isn't as easy to catch them as it seems.  And you will never find me fishing in the crowds or at "same brush piles"  thats not how I fish, and the pictures speak for themselves over the years.

I am not sure what fishing over the damn means?  I haven't fished coraville yet this year, and if you mean they are crappies from the flood, that might be a possibility, but there is a very strong year class from macbride that I have been following religiously that is showing up this year, so I would bet my money that these fish are macbride stock-

And, yes there are a lot of people who I have told, this is what these sites are about man, sharing success, failures, and all helping each other to learn more about the sport we love, while maintaining an ethical harvest to release ratio (almost always all of my fish are released)...

Offline whiteysheating

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Luke thanks for your post. That is one of the best posts on the Iowa page that I havew seen in my 2 seasons on here. You know where and how to fish and I for one respect that. I don't often post but I felt that the attack on you by a new poster was uncalled for. No matter what the situation there will always be haters. keep on posting updates good or bad. See you on the ice!
Whitey :tipup:

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:53 AM »
I guess i dont understand why people want to post stories and pictures about ice fishing in an ice fishing forum?  Blows my mind...  ???

Keep up the good work Luke and keep the reports and pictures coming, i know that the vast majority of us on this site want to read about fishing and reports.

Hotbites- Keep the cheap shots on messageboards like Iowaoutdoors and not here; no one wants to hear it.

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:15 PM »
luke I for one enjoy seeing the pics and reading your posts, it is very obvious that you are an accomplished fisherman, that being said I think hotbites is a little intimidated by your success. just my 2 cents worth. I just kinda get sick of some of the negetive posts i see here and on  other sites. it dosen't represent the vast majority of the sportsman that call these sites home.

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I really really appreciate the kind words!  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you fellow ice anglers!

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:15 AM »
Thanks guys, I really really appreciate the kind words!  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you fellow ice anglers!
same to you , and all of you merry christmass, and keep on  fishing

Offline dpcfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:32 AM »
  Merry Christmas
All I want for Christmas is Luke's GPS coordinates :laugh: :laugh:

I would buy the how to video!!
GReat job again Luke

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Me too.  I was hoping to get out over the christmas break, but would't you know it.. Shut downs.  I hope you guys save some for me. :)

Offline wallyhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing better than floppin' fish on the ice!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:34 AM »

Luke, my son and I are challenged just knowing that these fish are out there. It gives us the gumption to continue to hone our skills and tactics. Love the posts - keep them coming. We caught 5 crappies in the 10' range. we were tight to the shore. Maybe we need to get out in the 12-18'? I guess thats our next move. Finding structure out their is tough - but that is what makes this sport so darn much fun!

Stay on the hard water! See you on the lake!

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Hey guys,

I went out on Wednesday and finally found something the fish would actually bite. About a week earlier I went out and had them all over the vexilar but it didn't matter what jigging pattern or what jig I threw on they wouldn't take it.

Wednesday when I went out I caught myself about 35 total fish so not like I am killing them yet but I am starting to get things figured out. Most of the fish I caught were on a light green swedish pimple. However, I fished with everything! I started with the chubby darter to bring the fish in and I had 2 walleye right up to the whole and they popped off but that was very few and far between. I then switched 2 a firetiger jigging Rapala which was working the week before but they didn't want it Wednesday. So I started to go smaller. I tried Ratso's, Shrimpo's, And the fire tiger diamond jig and although I was catching some fish nothing like what the green swedish pimple was doing for me. I had about 17 ice houses around me and it didn't sound like anyone else was catching anything so they were picky but they were biting if you could feed them the right thing. I also had these tipped with one spike. Let me know if you want any more info as to where I was fishing. As these guys are fun to catch. I let everyone of them go so they are still there for you to catch :) Have a great day and hope to see you on the ice. Here is what I caught

20 Crappie, 2 Walleye up to the top of the whole, 10 Catfish, and 2 Wipers.... Would like to fins more Walleye but I am struggling :) I will be out everyday next week probably so let me know how everyone is doing.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2008, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the report Luke and the rest!  Keep them coming !
MacBride is ways over there for me but I'm studying the map ! ;)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline curtist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:15 PM »
  There used to be DNR maps with the GPS coordinates of the fish attractors.  I looked on the DNR website and didn't see it.  Anyone know of where I could obtain one of these.  Or if someone has a copy I could get that would be great.  i am gonna be heading there this week sometime.  Just looking for some different spots than I already know.

Offline Luke Haugland

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Give paul sleeper a call- he can get you a map, google---> iowa dnr paul sleeper.  He is the fisheries biologist for macbride-  He should have maps..

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2008, 01:43 AM »
Thanks for the reports, might have to venture down..
Pool 9 Pro

Offline tineseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:57 PM »

After finding this site and reading your posts I bought my daughter an Ice house and myself a humming bird flasher.  This is the result of our first trip to Mcbride.   ::)  Now just waiting for things to get hard again so I can go out and try some new spots.

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Was that taken today.  What did the ice look like when you left.  I wonder if i came up enough to break free from the banks.  If so the water will look like chocolate milk and the fishing could slow down.  PLEASE someone give a report  LUKE can you save the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.