Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Iowa Ice Reports  (Read 5951 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Iowa Ice Reports
« on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:15 AM »
  I know people got ice out there.  Any bigger lakes starting to lock up or skim at least?
Post Your ice on this page! ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Iowa Ice Reports
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2007, 03:11 PM »
I'll get this started. ;D

Took this today off of Farmers. Theres still quite a bit of open water in the other parts of the lake though.  Need some still cold nights. Measured 3 inches. 4 wheelers late next week? Hopefully we dont get that 6 inches of snow theyre preachin this weekend.  That would ruin driving out for the year!

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:13 AM »
THE 4 WHEELER IS READY TO GO..... GIVE ME 6 INHES AND THE SHANYTOWN WILL BEGIN!

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:44 AM »
SOUNDS LIKE ALL HE!! COULD BREAK LOOSE ??? HERE IS WHAT WEATHER.COM HAS TO SAY:

"OVER THE NORTHEAST HALF OF IOWA...THE EVENT WILL BE OF LONGER DURATION AS TEMPERATURES REMAIN BELOW FREEZING. ANYWHERE FROM ONE TO FIVE INCHES OF SNOW SHOULD FALL IN THESE AREAS WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG AND NORTHEAST OF AN ESTHERVILLE TO WATERLOO LINE. ON TOP OF THE SNOW... TWO TO FOUR TENTHS OF ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE AS WELL.

ADDITIONAL MINOR ACCUMULATIONS OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN MAY OCCUR SATURDAY NIGHT AS THE STORM EXITS THE AREA INTO THE GREAT LAKES SUNDAY MORNING.

THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE STORM CONDITIONS EXISTS WITH THIS STORM. GLAZING IN COMBINATION WITH BRISK SOUTHEAST WINDS GUSTING FROM 20 TO 35 MPH COULD PRODUCE SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES AND DOWNED TREES. A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PRODUCTS."

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2007, 02:47 AM »
I'll get this started. ;D

Took this today off of Farmers. Theres still quite a bit of open water in the other parts of the lake though.  Need some still cold nights. Measured 3 inches. 4 wheelers late next week? Hopefully we dont get that 6 inches of snow theyre preachin this weekend.  That would ruin driving out for the year!
(Image removed from quote.)

IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE OUT YET CRAPPIEBUSTER..... FULL SIZE ???

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Yep this storm this weekend is gonna screw us. :(  Wet snow too I guess.  So much for putting out the Permanent and driving out! Shes ruined before the season even starts! Ice aint even gonna get a chance to build!  Evil mother nature!

dammit wheres my bottle?

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2007, 12:57 PM »
I was just over to Clear Lake and she is froze over from what I could tell.  I did not walk out or drill any holes so I have no clue on ice thickness at all.  But she is froze over, I am just afraid of what this weekend is going to do to any ice formation or what has formed already.  I will have to wait until next week to see what it did to us guys, but I will be keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't hurt us.  Good luck and stay safe on the ice.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:46 PM »
Just got back from over there actually.  3-4 Inches off Farmers walked all the way out to 10 foot.  Looks like someone fished her this morning?  If the winds are strong enough tommoorw and the snow light enough it should all blow off there!  HOPEFULLY!!!! CROSS UR FROZEN FINGERS AND TOES!!!! ;)

Heres a Pic from today....

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Im not gonna wait for the storm to ruin the ice. :-\  Im going to farmers around 7 tonight .  Not going home till I get my limit of eyes or the beer runs out!

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:41 PM »
where is farmers and what lake? 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:51 PM »
farmers is on clear lake

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2007, 12:08 AM »
Glad I went tonight started off the year right! Caught and released a 23 1/2inch eye she fought like a 10pounder though........Buncha smaller ones too..... ;D

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2007, 11:26 AM »
THE SHELLROCK IS ICING UP ALOT ALSO.  STILL A FEW OPEN POCKETS TO FISH IN BUT IT'S IFFY FOR WALKING ON ANY ICE.  MIGHT TRY IT LATER TODAY AND SEE HOW IT GOES.  IF FARMERS LOOKS OK MAYBE THAT WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO SIT THIS AFTERNOON TOO...  DECISIONS, DECISIONS....  BE SAFE EVERYBODY...   TOM

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2007, 10:24 PM »
anybody on clear lake still-hows the ice

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:00 PM »
All the slush refroze solid last night.  Woke up and it was 4 degrees.  Went fishing tonight and the ice is 6-7 off of farmers beach.  4-5 Inches being good ice and the rest white ice.  Almost time to put out SHANTYTOWNS permanent :laugh:.  She really did a 360 tho I thought the ice was gonna sink that one day.

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Glad I went tonight started off the year right! Caught and released a 23 1/2inch eye she fought like a 10pounder though........Buncha smaller ones too..... ;D

Wow...  way to start off the season for you Crappie Buster   :clap:  Glad to hear it, except now I am jealous...  I am gonna have to head out there here are try my luck at it too.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Shantytowns perm shack made her out to farmers today.  First shack out there looks like.  Maybe driving out next weekend?

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:39 PM »
hows the ice up there on clear??? ???  i live down here in the boonies by marshalltown and was just wondering? :tipup:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:40 PM »
7 Inches off of Farmers beach.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:45 PM »
thanx buster ;D wish we had that down here!!!  good luck and stay safe thanx again hardwater buddy!!!  :bow:

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Hi guys new to the forum, but am liking it a lot!  I was thinking of going to clear lake this weekend, have not ice fished on it yet just during the fall a few times, can't wait to punch some holes and drink some beers!  Crappie buster is the smaller little lake on the west end the farmers area?  Thanks for the info guys look forward to chattin with you.

Offline freezedried

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Fish Are Bitting somewhere find them
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:58 PM »
Shantytowns perm shack made her out to farmers today.  First shack out there looks like.  Maybe driving out next weekend?

Do they ever get any wheel houses out on clear lake? I have one that I run up to MN with but it would be nice to spend a weekend in it at clear lake too. Its about 3000 lb but I have pulled it with my quad.
When The Ice Is On...I'm On The Ice!!!

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2007, 04:05 PM »
Looks like some good ice forming on Smith's Bay-okoboji. Might make a trip up there next weekend if spirit is a go.

Offline ducky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:37 PM »
4" on a local pond in Cedar Falls.

Offline hawkeyejr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Any ice on lost lake yet, only an inch on Don Williams

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:34 PM »
 DW's a little slow putting on ice. I came back to town on Monday and there was a shack out in the middle of the hyway 17 pit. Don't know what the rain did to it though.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Lots of wheelhouses and permanents make it out on the lake.  Ice permitting that is.  Looks to be a thick year too.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:49 PM »
I fish the IGLs most every weekend. ANyone who wants to say hi look for me in a white 01 SuperCrew with a blue one man Fish Trap. I was at Templars last weekend, did OK. Might try Smiths Bay, that was awesome last year. Gonna be a long ice season, the forecast looks really cold for this time of year.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:32 PM »
How far were you able to make it out on Templer?

CSP88

« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:35 PM »
I fish the IGLs most every weekend. ANyone who wants to say hi look for me in a white 01 SuperCrew with a blue one man Fish Trap. I was at Templars last weekend, did OK. Might try Smiths Bay, that was awesome last year. Gonna be a long ice season, the forecast looks really cold for this time of year.

Seaguar, I'll be up there this Saturday.  If I see you, I'll make it a point to stop and say hello.

Chad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.