Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Looking at the 15 day forecast  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking at the 15 day forecast
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:03 PM »
A couple points about this weird warm winter we're having:

This is an ice-fishing site, so we're all obviously going to complain about how bad it is for ice-fishing. I've sure done my share of complaining this winter.  ;D

But as people have pointed out, most of us are saving money and time on heating costs, snow removal, and the like.

There is another thing to keep in mind about this weather. As bad as this winter is for ice-fishing, it is good for wildlife. Deer, turkey, and whatever pheasants and quail are still out there in Iowa are doing very well so far this winter.

But, there is a possible bad side to this weather beyond ice-fishing. I cannot find any numbers on precip. totals for the last few months, but I think we are well below normal on rain and snowfall. If that pattern persists, we may be looking at a very dry spring, and that is not a good thing.
You are exactly right but at the same time people who plow snow, body shops, bike shops(snowmobiles) and other reatailers that sell winter related eqipment and services are taking it in the shorts this year.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Yep think weve had a inch and half of rain since July up here.  Theyre talking about problems with soil moisture come planting time.  Not enough subsoil moisture='s poor seed germination rate.  Rivers are the lowest I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. With the amount of land tilled up and lack of soil conservation we could possibly see another "dustbowl" type weather pattern.

I wondered about that too (dustbowl), in fact the local CBS affiliate ran a story about how dry its been during this"Winter" and what the possible problems may arise. Lets face it we are in a drought type situation even though its Winter time.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:48 PM »
You are exactly right but at the same time people who plow snow, body shops, bike shops(snowmobiles) and other reatailers that sell winter related eqipment and services are taking it in the shorts this year.

Which is why I said "most of us".

But for every snowmobile dealer losing money, there is a carpenter or construction outfit doing very well since they don't have to contend with cold weather.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:01 PM »
But as for ice-fishing, try not to think of it as a short season this year.

Instead, think of it as a short mid-winter slump.

Offline fishinfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here Fishy,Fishy,Fishy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:00 PM »
I agree this weather is saving me money as far as gas, bait, food, beverages and yes heating costs but long story short it is VERY boring !!!!

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Went OPEn water fishing 2x this week.  They stocked 4500 trout in Crystal Cove Lake in South Sioux City NE.  Had my limit in 5 mins!!  But stuck around and caught a ton.  Came back last night after work and caught limit again.....took about 40 mins this time.  Ice was 2 long cast-lengths away from shore.

Sioux Forecast is not good for the next 15 days.  only a couple of days below freezing for highs.

But overnight lows are getting below.  Gonna be 2 more weeks (at least).  This blows.

Offline LunkerPlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Went OPEn water fishing 2x this week.  They stocked 4500 trout in Crystal Cove Lake in South Sioux City NE.  Had my limit in 5 mins!!  But stuck around and caught a ton.  Came back last night after work and caught limit again.....took about 40 mins this time.  Ice was 2 long cast-lengths away from shore.

Sioux Forecast is not good for the next 15 days.  only a couple of days below freezing for highs.

But overnight lows are getting below.  Gonna be 2 more weeks (at least).  This blows.

browns and snyder are both completely iced over. i might be able to get out next weekend  :) surprised me to still see ice after that 68 degree blow to the head high on Thursday.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:26 PM »
I'm going to try somewhere next weekend too.  Let me know if you hear anything about snyder/browns ice depth.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:42 PM »
i probably will go up to IGL on saturday, maybe hit bacon creek on sunday if the ice is good enough.......

seen the trout release at ssc on the news, just wish there was good ice there. 
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I always buy a NE licese so I can fish at Yankton. Maybe I will get some of those trout too.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.