Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ada Hayden  (Read 6971 times)

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ada Hayden
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Yep. Just like the fish pool at the circus.  LOL. 

Here is the facts.
People did catch fish.
Gas augers are prohibited.  Yes its the City of Ames (or a portion of its idiots) that don't want them.
A Caterpillar dozer rolled in the lake while grading rip rap and spilled a bunch of diesel in the lake a few years ago.  NOW THATS POLLUTION.
The city gave the DNR control of the lake so now you can catch a real limit.  NO longer 5 crappie.
Trout taste like crap.
Fishing for fish 1' under the ice right after released seems silly.  Just my opinion.
There are huge crappies in that lake.  They taste GOOD.
The trout are confined to the North pit.
Ice condition is good on all of North pit. 12" or greater.

Good luck

Offline eyeowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:27 PM »
any new reports? heading there in the am

thanks in advance

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Anybody getting any crappies?

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Any fishing report for this week?  Maybe no new is good news.  Doubt it!

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • spent most my life fishn rest have been wasted
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:03 PM »
DEAD on wed !!  :%$#!:

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Any luck there?

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:19 AM »
easy picking for trout along the shoreline that runs parallel with the bridge (east side). fishing in about 5 fow , about 5 yards from shore.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I live in Ames, and it is a city rule. The water is Ames' back up water source, and is so pure, it is potable to drink as is. They want to keep it that way. No swimming, no pets in the water, etc. The city is in the process of getting more signs up, posting the NO GAS AUGERS ALLOWED rule. The DNR only enforces fish and game laws. The DNR uses a chainsaw to cut the ice to stock the trout, but they should get their axes out instead of slinging bar oil in the lake, and do a little physical labor. Trout fishing is slow and hit and miss. I was there when they stocked it 3 weeks ago, and my buddy and I caught our limit in an hour, and released 3 limits each, in another hour.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline bigjohn125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:32 PM »
If there are fish in that water, and there are, then it is no way "potable as is".  You drink it.  I dare you ;D.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Have they always stocked this with trout or is it something new this year? Just trying to see what I'll have for options in the area as far as ice fishing goes when I transfer down to ISU this fall. I know it will be nothing like being 20min from the IGL's like I am now but I'll try my best ;D

Offline whitetail1001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Acid rain,  flooding-run off,  people pissin on the ice?  Potable?  I doubt it.  Augers and chain saws should be the last thing ames worries about. 

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • spent most my life fishn rest have been wasted
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Hmm does the city of ames pay for those trout or is it us thru the dnr license etc. :cookoo: :%$#!:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:49 AM »
2200 trout will be released at 12 noon on feb 8. Hyvee is providing hot dogs and hot choc. There will be a roped off area for under 16 yrs of age.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Hmm does the city of ames pay for those trout or is it us thru the dnr license etc. :cookoo: :%$#!:
dnr license fee. This is the 4th year that they have dumped 4,000 plus trout in...so roughly 16,000 trout. Very little pressure on the lake, and it is so cold and deep that the trout live year round in it. 2 summers ago it was 100 degrees at sunset, and a buddy and I were in a boat around the pump house, and lots of trout were topping the water eating bugs. No one has ever reported seeing dead trout out there in the summer, and lots of people report catching them there in the summer. I caught a large one open watering last spring, that hadprob  been there from the 1st stocking four years ago. I put him back. Last year they put some 4 and 5 lb brood stock trout in it too. There has to be thousands of trout in that lake, cause it just doesnt get any pressure. This year I havent seen over 5 shacks on the lake at once, and usually only 2-3 shacks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.