Author Topic: Off season tip up storage  (Read 1303 times)

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Off season tip up storage
« on: Feb 28, 2013, 05:44 AM »
Do you guys store your tip ups with the flags up or down. Just thinking that down might affect springs over time.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Off season tip up storage
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:13 AM »
I store mine with the flags down. I've done it for years. some of my tip-ups are over 10 years old and it has not affected the springs yet.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:28 AM »
Store them in Tupperware container flags down. Only problem I have is flags gettin all mushed up. But this season I cut my flags off and replaced them felt flags. So far I like them better.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:30 AM »
I store mine in a 60 gallon plastic tote that I drilled some air hole in so to prevent mildew and mold.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:34 AM »
In a plastic bag in the freezer. I have had my Beaver Dams for over 30 years and never needed to get them re done. They turn fine. I keep thinking that I should get them recharged,but when they work so good,why? Jerry

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:15 AM »
i leave mine in my wooden fishing box all summer. there all in good shape the next season.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:25 AM »
I have a canvas bag I store my traps in. I make sure they are dry and then I fold them up and put them in the case. Never a problem in 30+ years.

WS

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:20 AM »
Thanks guys. Thats good enough for me. 30+ years with spring issue.good investment to say the least.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:16 AM »
if you have heritage tip ups its best to store with the flags up so the springs dosent get memory,i have 2 sets of heritage that i dont use anymore, i quit using them when i started catching fish and the flags weren't going off.i put new flags on and they work fine now my brother uses them as i have all new tip ups.i'm not saying that if you store with your flags down you will have a problem i'm just saying store with your flags up and you won't have a problem

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:38 AM »
With the Heritage Lakers you can just pull the flags off. They aren't glued in there or anything, just press fit, so that is how I store my traps.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:53 AM »
doctorgee, that's exactly what I do, I pull mine off after every trip actually.  they just store easier and it only takes a few seconds.

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:04 AM »
I store my beaver dams with the flags up, so they can remember what it's like when I'm out fishing.  ;D

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:21 AM »
I do have heritage. And I did not know I could pull them out. That is what I will do then.
Thanks.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:24 PM »
I store them flags down and havent had an issue. Store the ones we use every outting in the frabill trekker all year and the back ups stay in a bucket.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:57 PM »
ditto on the heritages, flags pull right off, better to store them off and flat just grab at bottom of spring and pull, you dont want to stretch the spring

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Good tip that the heritage flags are removable.  That will allow you to spin them 90 degrees from time to time so one side doesn't get all the wear/stretch/memory.     I hate when my flag leans left or right.  ;)

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:46 PM »
I just pile em up in the barn in full view of the mice and hope for the best. No problems yet.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2013, 01:29 PM »
heritage tackle maker of heritage laker recommend that you release flag, back of the star drag to relieve the tension on the reel axel and store in a cool dry place.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:23 PM »
heritage tackle maker of heritage laker recommend that you release flag, back of the star drag to relieve the tension on the reel axel and store in a cool dry place.

Thanks for the heads up backing off the spool tension. I do it with reels but don't think I would have thought to do it to my tip ups.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:06 PM »
just another quick tip for heritage users, those dowels were the spring sits are removeable to, you can buy longer dowels I believe 3/8 x2 from your local store, so if the spring is stretched or leaning to the side just add a longer dowel and cut to were the flag goes back up straight. Ive done this to a couple of mine and they work good as new.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2013, 07:12 PM »
awesome tips about the heritage traps!!! caught a couple salmon (6 and 8.5 lbs.) this year, flag never tripped!

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2013, 05:25 AM »
I have 2 sets of 5 traps , 1 is in folding chair bag, and the other is still sitting on my bedroom shelf from last year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.